PDA

View Full Version : Neon ATX rebuild?

cordes
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, someone finally killed the trans after neglecting to check the fluid level. There was enough smoke coming out from under the hood when she got home to convince me that I need to start looking at rebuilding it ASAP. It's a 97 SOHC Neon.

What special tools will I need? Where is the best place to get the kit from? Which kit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Aries_Turbo
05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
get a jy unit that is known working unless you have time to go through every valve/seal etc to make sure that the trashing didnt fill it FULL of metal trash.

replace the cooler too. its pretty much impossible to clean all the junk out of them if the trans is nuked.

if you are only spending cordes bucks (similar to campbell bucks) and dont want to replace the cooler, put a filter after the cooler before the fluid goes back into the trans.

Brian

glhs727
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
What year? I have 5 1st gen ATX transmissions I'm looking to sell cheap. Buy one or more! These are all from my buddy Ed Peters. He saved them as back up transmissions for his neon he was racing, but has retired from racing. I ended up getting some when he started clearing out his barn a couple of years ago......

cordes
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the tips Brian. I did some reading and it looks like finding a unit that hasn't been smoked will be the way to go.

Cindy, PM incoming.

RoadWarrior222
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
get a jy unit that is known working unless you have time to go through every valve/seal etc to make sure that the trashing didnt fill it FULL of metal trash.

replace the cooler too. its pretty much impossible to clean all the junk out of them if the trans is nuked.

if you are only spending cordes bucks (similar to campbell bucks) and dont want to replace the cooler, put a filter after the cooler before the fluid goes back into the trans.

Brian
IMO, depends on the style of cooler, if it's got end tanks, don't re-use it, if its round tube with smooth loops at the ends to go back and forth, it should be flushable.

Aries_Turbo
06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
yeah the simple tube ones you can flush, however, he is probably using the in-the-radiator one which isnt a flushable one iirc.

brian

22mopar
06-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I clean and flush rad coolers all day. I've only encountered one that didn't clear out and flow properly.

cordes
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I clean and flush rad coolers all day. I've only encountered one that didn't clear out and flow properly.

That's good to hear. I'll probably go ahead and use an inline filter too. Better safe than sorry after doing all the work to swap the trans.

Aries_Turbo
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM

any special procedure or you just flow liquid through it?

Brian

22mopar
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I have a Kent-Moore J-45096. that's what I use.

RoadWarrior222
06-03-2011, 10:49 AM
The end tank type though, you can flush them all day, and have particles caught up in eddies in the tanks and not make it out the other side, flushing them forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards, will get more out, but you've still got the design and fluid mechanics working against you.

shadow88
06-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I have had zero problems adding a cooler and skipping the factory in-rad cooler. No mess, no failures.