PDA

View Full Version : A543/A523 diff end play

87turbodance
05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I notice that when I rock my car forwards and backwards with the transmission (A543/A523) in 1st, I can see the axle shafts moving in and out of the transmission in unison. This leads my to believe that my differential has massive end play and the angle cut gears are forcing the diff to slide into each either bearing race based on what direction torque is being applied to the ring gear (or ring gear to pinion gear in my rocking test).

Question: Can I service the diff with the transmission in the car? I know I can remove the cover if I pull the K-frame but is there anything I can do by pulling the extension housing? Where are shims installed?

Ryan

135sohc
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Shim is located in the steel housing (d-side) bearing retainer.

22mopar
05-30-2011, 01:34 PM
You really need to remove the transaxle or at least the differential to analyze and verify the perceived problem. That's the only correct way to do this. the endplay just doesn't magically go out, there has to be an underlying problem.

you should probably also look at another car to verify what you are seeing is abnormal.

JDIZZ
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I notice that when I rock my car forwards and backwards with the transmission (A543/A523) in 1st, I can see the axle shafts moving in and out of the transmission in unison. This leads my to believe that my differential has massive end play and the angle cut gears are forcing the diff to slide into each either bearing race based on what direction torque is being applied to the ring gear (or ring gear to pinion gear in my rocking test).

Question: Can I service the diff with the transmission in the car? I know I can remove the cover if I pull the K-frame but is there anything I can do by pulling the extension housing? Where are shims installed?

Ryan

If it was diff end play, most likely a bearing would be wiped out or something came loose and you would know it. The diff is set under a little pre load. I think what you are seeing is axle/side gear play in the diff housing. It is common for them to get loose on a high mile vehicle or one that did a lot of peg leg burn outs.

87turbodance
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
If it was diff end play, most likely a bearing would be wiped out or something came loose and you would know it. The diff is set under a little pre load. I think what you are seeing is axle/side gear play in the diff housing. It is common for them to get loose on a high mile vehicle or one that did a lot of peg leg burn outs.

Makes sense but I just don't understand what would cause the axles to move in and out of the transmission. The mileage on this transmission is unknown.

I know one of my inner CV joints is bad because I have a shimmy under load - could this be the source of the axle movement? I have to remove the extension housing to fix an oil leak (stupid o-ring) so I'll take a look then as best I can.

Rampage16V
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm with Joe on this one. If there is no noise or leakage drive it!

87turbodance
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm with Joe on this one. If there is no noise or leakage drive it!

well... the passenger side leaks a lot of oil and the diff whines. I'd like that "new car" feel without the new car price lol.

Anyway. Can the slop in axle gears and side gears be fixed? Is it just a matter of changing shims? Or replace the side gear pin?

bah.. I'm just going to get some decent OEM axles and fix my extension housing leak. Stupid reman passenger axle has a lot of slop on the inner joint.

22mopar
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
if you are having a leak on the passenger side housing, you have a serious problem. shims are ONLY for when you build a fresh trans with new bearing or other hard parts. to fix your problem you MUST fix it right. there's a reason you're having problems and shimming isn't the reason or the cure.

JDIZZ
05-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Makes sense but I just don't understand what would cause the axles to move in and out of the transmission. The mileage on this transmission is unknown.

I know one of my inner CV joints is bad because I have a shimmy under load - could this be the source of the axle movement? I have to remove the extension housing to fix an oil leak (stupid o-ring) so I'll take a look then as best I can.

I am not a manual trans person, someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. I believe all the transaxle's diff areas are similar.
So, If the inner joint is bad on the passenger side and shaking, it may have wiped out the bushing in the extension housing and the seal. fix them all at the same time.

135sohc
05-31-2011, 12:23 AM
There is no bushing in the 523/543/568. I believe the early new process transmission used on these engine (a460 4spd) did have a bushing there but probably done away with as a $$$ thing.

JDIZZ
05-31-2011, 12:35 AM
well... the passenger side leaks a lot of oil and the diff whines. I'd like that "new car" feel without the new car price lol.

Anyway. Can the slop in axle gears and side gears be fixed? Is it just a matter of changing shims? Or replace the side gear pin?

bah.. I'm just going to get some decent OEM axles and fix my extension housing leak. Stupid reman passenger axle has a lot of slop on the inner joint.

Yes they can be fixed. Replace the side gears (axle gears) and thrust washers behind them and replace the spider (pinion) gears along with the thrust washers behind them. Don't forget to replace the pinion shaft (diff pin).

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

There is no bushing in the 523/543/568. I believe the early new process transmission used on these engine (a460 4spd) did have a bushing there but probably done away with as a $$$ thing.

Thanks, they did the same thing on the A413.

87turbodance
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. So it looks like at minimum I'm pulling the K-frame and axles to pull the diff out of the trans...