PDA

View Full Version : Spirit R/T brakes on a L body ?

87 charger
01-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Can you use the master cylinder off of the Spirit R/T ? The thing is this R/T had ABS. It has the rear brakes that I can use and one front because all the parts are there.The other side the caliper is still there but it is missing a rotor. I am not worried bout the rotor cause I can order those.My question is what all do I need to make this work ? I figure I will need the proportioning valve and probabaly need new lines ?
Is there anything I need to know before doing this ?

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
The mc will fit, the front brakes will not fit-the knuckles, calipers, caliper adapter brackets are all different, the rear, unsure.

I have read that the 11 inch brakes are too much, why not go the SLH route?

87 charger
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
The mc will fit,

I have read that the 11 inch brakes are too much, why not go the SLH route?

Ahhh.Ok whats SLH mean ? :confused:
Does that mean the daytona route ?
Or mini van ?
Or something totally different ?
BTW mine is a 87 shelby charger.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Ahhh.Ok whats SLH mean ? :confused:
Does that mean the daytona route ?
Or mini van ?
Or something totally different ?
BTW mine is a 87 shelby charger.

It means you use 60mm Minivan calipers, car 10 inch rotors and the 24mm master. I will see what info I can dig up and post it, theres tons of info over on Turbododge.com.

SLH=Stop Like Hell, :D

87 charger
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
HAHA
Stops like hell. SLH :thumb: :thumb:
I bet it does !
A guy from forward motion told me the R/T stuff would work on my shadow I use to have,but I wasn't sure if the R/T brakes would work or not on the shelby.There is a omni on here I saw that has HUGE brakes on it. Is that what you are talking about ?
If so they look awesome for sure.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 07:25 PM
HAHA
Stops like hell. SLH :thumb: :thumb:
I bet it does !
A guy from forward motion told me the R/T stuff would work on my shadow I use to have,but I wasn't sure if the R/T brakes would work or not on the shelby.There is a omni on here I saw that has HUGE brakes on it. Is that what you are talking about ?
If so they look awesome for sure.

The R/T stuff will fit a Shadow/Daytona.

I think the brakes you saw are on DodgeZ dads Omni, I asked about those, they are huge.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Ok, apparently you can use the knuckles off the R/T and bolt them on the Omni but mods are needed-

heres the link-

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47908&highlight=slh

87 charger
01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Hmm
I might just go with the slh package,but go ahead and use that master cylinder. I would like to use the R/T brakes,but it would take some work. Oh Thanks for the link. It was along time ago that was wrote up for sure (3/14/04).

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 12:29 PM
You can use the master cylinder with no problems.

You can install the large 11" vented rear brakes on an L body too and even use the stock 220MM parking brake cables that the GLH and SC cars came with but you need to swap the caliper mounting brackets side to side because the parking brake cables on an L body enter the adapter from the rear and all the other cars are from the front.

You can use the fronts too but you need to machine the knuckle where it fits into the strut because the L body setup is smaller here. You also need to fabricate some bushings for the holes to reduce the strut bolt hold diameter because the L body uses a smaller bolt package them the larger cars too.

If you want to you can use the 11" setup in the back and go with the '86 to '90 minivan front setup on your stock L body spindles. Be sure to use new rotors and pads for best performance and get the minivan rotors because they have a smaller dimension in the width of the rotor. The surface is the same thickness but the vent area is smaller. This is to accommodate the thicker minivan pads and using the car rotor will result in either a no fit with new rotors or a very tight fit with stock car rotors that are cut down too thin.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Ramsdell
Treasurer, NESDAC
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Posi and Shelby Roll Cage
'29 Model A, 239 flathead V-8, 3 speed
Mopartek@aol.com
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting...Holy ----!! What a Ride!!"

Can you use the master cylinder off of the Spirit R/T ? The thing is this R/T had ABS. It has the rear brakes that I can use and one front because all the parts are there.The other side the caliper is still there but it is missing a rotor. I am not worried bout the rotor cause I can order those.My question is what all do I need to make this work ? I figure I will need the proportioning valve and probabaly need new lines ?
Is there anything I need to know before doing this ?

87 charger
01-02-2006, 01:29 PM
So would you just go with the master cylinder only and use the mini van and daytona brakes ? If I put 11's on the back and mini vans on the front would that mess up the split ? The front brakes do most of the work,but would that change ? I know thats probably a dumb question,but thats why I am here ...to learn. :thumb:

Cliff Ramsdell
01-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Just the larger master cylinder would increase pedal pressure required to stop and firm up the pedal feel.

I have a GLHT in the shop right now that has the Minivan fronts and 11" rears and he's happy with the performance of that setup.

Don't forget to get good braided flex lines to replace the old stock rubber hoses.

So would you just go with the master cylinder only and use the mini van and daytona brakes ? If I put 11's on the back and mini vans on the front would that mess up the split ? The front brakes do most of the work,but would that change ? I know thats probably a dumb question,but thats why I am here ...to learn. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
He should change the prop valve to the 4 wheel disc one or leave the stocker so he has more front bias?

Motorbreath
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I put 89 shadow brakes on my SC and the proportioning valve also. At frist the rear brakes were way to strong. I was going to try out some kind of bleader valve to tone them down when I blew one of the rubber lines to the front brakes. While fixing the line I noticed the calipers looked smaller. So i tried to swap them just to find out I had to change the bracket also. So I tried that and it worked a lot better. The rear was still a bit strong but I learned to deal with it. I never upgraded the master cylinder to a larger minivan one. I dont think it would of helped. If I personaly was going to run Another SC I would use the same set up but with a larger master and 11inch brakes. Only to help keep the rotors cooler and not have to play with an adjuster on the rear. Just the stock shadow calipers made it stop way faster. I could lock all 4 if I wanted too. The fastest I tryed it at was 50mph.
I dont know if this will help. It is just what I learned from my own experiance.
Thanks Jason.

DodgeZ
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21795#post21795 Those are some SLH pictures
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565 SLH info

Here is the info on getting the Neon stuff to work.
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2845