PDA

View Full Version : Block Question...

ShadowBrad
05-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm starting to plan out a future 3.0L Turbo project for my Shadow that I'm converting to RWD. Obviously I'll be using an adapter plate and I'm unsure on what transmission I will be running, I'm hoping for a manual. My question is; which 3.0Ls came with the main girdle on the bottom end or did they all? I've never had a Chrysler version of the 3.0L apart before. I rebuilt a 24v SOHC for my friend's Montero and it had a girdle on the bottom end instead of single main caps. And my other question is; how much of an improvement is the girdle over the individual main caps in these engines? Thanks guys.

Also, I know that building a turbo 3.0L will be quite the task considering I've never "built" a 3.0L before but I've built a 2.2L/Neon hybrid engine that ran absolutely great and I've rebuilt many other engines before as well, including a 24v SOHC 6g72, and I'm familiar with what changes need to be made when turbocharging. The RWD is also going to make it quite the task, but there is going to be quite some time yet before this project even gets started, let alone gets finished, so I will have all the time in the world to figure all of this stuff out.

-brad

shackwrrr
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I am pretty sure they all have the bedplate style main caps. Depending on the budget you could either just re-gap the rings or go all out with forged pistons or even TT 24v parts.

87turbodance
05-19-2011, 02:05 PM
The TT 24V parts won't get you any thing but a forged crankshaft - which is unnecessary. I suggest Ed at KMperformance.com for porting your heads. Re-ground cam from Crower cam card E-27829. Modified Stealth or montero Intake for hood clearance for RWD - Custom big plenum and TB. Turbo manifolds would have to be custom. ED at KMPermance already makes turbo manifolds for FWD setups an dhe might be able to help you out with a RWD turbo manifold.

For a transmission, a Toyota R154 or Solstice / sky 5 speed with custom adapter seem like the best bet to me.

As far as a I know, all the 3.0s have the girdle main bearing caps. Some TTs have a 4 bolt main version of the girdle but the extra bolt holes would need to be drilled in the 12V block.

I'd also recommend some kind of after market engine management like Megasquirt 3.

RoadWarrior222
05-19-2011, 03:39 PM
I dunno if you want a "Chrysler" i.e. FWD 3.0 setup to start with anyway. I'd be after the D50/Raider/Montero setup.

87turbodance
05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I dunno if you want a "Chrysler" i.e. FWD 3.0 setup to start with anyway. I'd be after the D50/Raider/Montero setup.

Excellent point! Still might need a custom plenum and runners for hood clearance - something like the stealth intake with a custom plenum.

ShadowBrad
05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I was probably going to start with a Montero engine and figure out a way to strap an R154 to it. I'm not going to go into the TT-DOHC stuff as I'm sure I can get where I wanna be with the 12v heads. I've got a gas Mig and I just built a DC-Tig so I can handle making up the manifolds and such. The top end stuff is all pretty much sorted and fairly straight forward and simple. I was just curious about the block before I went out and started to gather up parts here in a couple months. And yes there will be some sort of aftermarket ECU running this thing, I'm not even going to mess with any of the stock 3.0L stuff. Car was a 2.2L to start with anyways so I'll be doing the entire engine harness from scratch. Thanks for the help guys.

-brad

Ondonti
05-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Good trans choice. Only girdles in these blocks.

Single or twins?
I want a v6 mitsu in my Starlet some day and twins looks so nice on a longitudinal vee motor but it can be more work.

RoadWarrior222
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Excellent point! Still might need a custom plenum and runners for hood clearance - something like the stealth intake with a custom plenum.
Some of the mitsu car apps have different shape and size oil pans, which may mean you can drop it a couple of inches lower, leaving more room up top.

Ondonti
05-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I think our pan is actually shallower then theirs because we have a wider pan, no need to pass the exhaust under the middle.
When I used the mitsu block couldn't use their oil pickup because it sat down too far (and went towards the front) so I used our pickup and our pan, but had to cut a hole in the baffle so I could use our pickup in reverse (Not exactly sure what direction everything went :P ).

ShadowBrad
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Single or twins will depend on what I can come up with for a decent price, but it will most likely be a nicely sized single. Probably going to shoot for around 400WHP, I just want to go 3.0L/RWD to be different as I haven't seen anybody do it yet. =) Wish me luck. I'll most likely be starting this thing in the fall after we get the floor poured in the garage.

-brad

Sundance 6g72
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
is this still in the works?

MC#4
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I really wish more of these type of projects would get done!

RoadWarrior222
01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
My grandiose plans are perpetually on hold.... but I have a note from my Mom.

Sundance 6g72
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
you confuse me man

ShadowBrad
01-06-2012, 01:49 PM
is this still in the works?

Well...To sum it all up in one word...Kinda... =)

I started to gut the '88 Shadow shell that I had and found that the floor and the frame rails were completely rotted out, so I ended up cutting it up for scrap. So I had been on the hunt for another shell but I had to put the entire project on hold even further than it was before. I'm moving near Montgomery, WV to where my oldest brother lives due to work. There are absolutely no jobs here in the part of PA that I live and I figured that moving my family so that I can get better employment will be a good choice. Plus I'll get to be around family that I normally don't get to see that often. Once my family and I get settled down there I'll be back on the hunt for another car/engine/trans to get all of this put together. Luckily for me the old guy that lives down the street from my brother builds old-school hot-rods in his spare time so he is very good at fabbing sub-frames and stuff like that so I'll probably recruit him to help with the new rear frame and suspension to support the RWD. My brother is also a hardcore MoparNut so I will have his help as well. This project may take me years and years to complete but it will eventually get done. I've always wanted a RWD Shadow to play around in and someday I will have it. When I get moved and settled and I start collecting parts again I will begin updating this thread. Thanks everyone for your interest.