PDA

View Full Version : Outer CV failures

glhs399
05-18-2011, 11:20 PM
In the past few years (3?) I have had many issues with outer cv's failing. Here is the list!
2: In my daily driver turbo 5-speed van Driver and Passenger side
4: In the my POS endurance CSX all drivers side (majority right hand turn track)
2: In my 79 Omni at the Global rallycross event in Wa. all drivers side

Has anyone else had issues with the outer c.v. failing? The only brands I have used are empi and fenco. I have had bad luck with both brands. The two race cars run all poly mounts with the engine centered. The van had a front and passenger poly mount with the engine centered.

The failures in the van and the CSX have not totally broke the c.v. it just creates a nasty vibration at speed.

I'm not too surprised about the failures with the Omni. The race was a mix between pavement and very loose gravel. The majority of the turns were right ones and I kept breaking the outer left c.v. It happened once at a full lock condition with a lot of throttle that I take the blame for from driver error. The second one broke on a fast right left turn on gravel. It does have a welded diff in it but I would like them to last at least all weekend.

Any suggestions or brands I should try out? I would rather not try the dss axles due to the fact of a lot of rally people that I know break them just as easily as the stock ones in a Honda application. I am going to try and find a local shop that might be able to help me with a solution.

glhs399
05-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Got some contract info for a local shop. I'm going to call Raxles tomorrow and see what they can do also.

glhs399
05-20-2011, 12:07 AM
No luck from Raxles. On to the next company...

BadAssPerformance
05-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Local shops might be able to help... For the OEM axles, the Saginaw and big GKN's do the best. If these are issues due to power at full lock, maybe its more angle than the joint can handle no matter who makes it?