PDA

View Full Version : Sealant/Gasket between Turbo and Exhaust manifold?

85shelbycharger
01-01-2006, 05:32 PM
All that I have left to do to finish the assembly of my motor for my Shelby Lancer is to bolt the turbo and turbo lines up. But before I do, I am just checking if it is recommended to have something between the manifold and the turbo. I am almost positive that I have read that axle grease is a good gasket type material to use there? Any input is greatly appreciated.

85shelbycharger
01-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Also what is recommended to use on the turbo lines at the fittings? Is teflon tape alright?

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
DO NOT USE teflon tape, it can get loose and clog up things. Use Liquid Teflon sealer-its made by Permatex and any decent parts store will carry it, use the High temp version. Yes axle/wheel bearing grease is fine, thats all I ever use.

85shelbycharger
01-01-2006, 05:49 PM
DO NOT USE teflon tape, it can get loose and clog up things. Use Liquid Teflon sealer-its made by Permatex and any decent parts store will carry it, use the High temp version. Yes axle/wheel bearing grease is fine, thats all I ever use.

Well I'm really glad I posted now. I had full intentions on using teflon tape but now I definitely won't. Axle or wheel bearing grease is fine though? Sweet. Thanks Simon.

Chris W
01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Well I'm really glad I posted now. I had full intentions on using teflon tape but now I definitely won't. Axle or wheel bearing grease is fine though? Sweet. Thanks Simon.

Patrick,

There is nothing wrong with using teflon tape as long as it is applied properly. Should the tape be applied too close to the end it may protrude into the liquid and impede the flow. As Simon mentioned, there is less of a chance of that happening when using liquid teflon.

Hope the picture helps.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Great pic Chris. I just find the liquid stuff is foolproof and less time consuming. :amen:

85shelbycharger
01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Patrick,

There is nothing wrong with using teflon tape as long as it is applied properly. Should the tape be applied too close to the end it may protrude into the liquid and impede the flow. As Simon mentioned, there is less of a chance of that happening when using liquid teflon.

Hope the picture helps.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Chris-TU

Chris, I really appreciate you taking time to point that out. Thanks.:thumb:

Chris W
01-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Chris, I really appreciate you taking time to point that out. Thanks.:thumb:

Anytime Patrick. Let us know if we can help you out again in the future.

Chris-TU

mech1nxh
01-02-2006, 04:31 AM
must agree with you CHRIS....
I usually leave the first 1-2 threads UNWRAPED, and then wrap the rest
COUNTERCLOCKWISE, this allows the seal area to be "engaged " 100%
during tightening, with minnimal compression removal of the tape...
I have found liquid teflon (although an excellent sealer) has a "shelf life"
and is not suited to some high temp...WITH pressure applications.....
experience submited with humble respects to all
mech1nxh

GLHSKEN
01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
EXPERIENCE APPRECIATED...

I've used both liquid and tape with good results. As for the turbo to manifold. There was never anything there from the factory. A bit of axlegrease, not much, will carbon up and form a good seal if you think you need it.

8valves
01-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one who has never used any sort of gasket/sealant int this area, nor the swingvalve to turbo? I just use some serious arm torque and have been lucky to not have any leaks or issues. However I think it's just a TM thing, all of our other turbo cars either have a gasket or the axle grease gasket!

Aaron Miller

GLHSKEN
01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I've never greased mine either Aaron. Not had a problem

Dave
01-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Am I the only one who has never used any sort of gasket/sealant int this area, nor the swingvalve to turbo? I just use some serious arm torque and have been lucky to not have any leaks or issues. However I think it's just a TM thing, all of our other turbo cars either have a gasket or the axle grease gasket!

Aaron Miller

We leave all our car's manifolds to turbos dry. Just tighten the heck out of the bolts. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to put some grease there to make sure things are going to be sealed. Maybe try and fab up an exhaust gasket to go there?

8valves
01-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Well I use a standard T3 flange, so I can run a gasket if I choose to do so, but I don't have one.

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I got one when I had my TIII turbo rebuilt, never used it.

must agree with you CHRIS....
I usually leave the first 1-2 threads UNWRAPED, and then wrap the rest
COUNTERCLOCKWISE, this allows the seal area to be "engaged " 100%
during tightening, with minnimal compression removal of the tape...
I have found liquid teflon (although an excellent sealer) has a "shelf life"
and is not suited to some high temp...WITH pressure applications.....
experience submited with humble respects to all
mech1nxh

Hmmmmm, weird. Did you use the hi-temp stuff? never noticed the shelf life either. Thats all I have been using for 7 years at my shop and probably 11 years at the dealer and never an issue, :p
Good to know someone has no issues with the tape, I can never wrap that crap, lol! :bowl:

Chris W
01-03-2006, 04:01 AM
In regard to the axle grease on the turbine flanges, please be very conservative and spread it near the outer edges only. Too much grease may squeeze inward into the exhaust path of the turbine housing. Once hardened by the heat it could break free and may cause damage during hi boost situations. If you are really concerned about exhaust leaks you should just have both flanges trued prior to assembly.

Chris-TU

Austrian Dodge
01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
i used wheelbearing grease too, not a problem! works fine

Reeves
01-07-2006, 02:43 PM
You can go to a machine shop that has a lapping table and use some good ole arm muscles to lap in the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold. Or, make your own lapping table out some thick glass and a big piece of sandpaper taped to the glass. Works great!

mech1nxh
01-08-2006, 08:34 AM
I got one when I had my TIII turbo rebuilt, never used it.

Hmmmmm, weird. Did you use the hi-temp stuff? never noticed the shelf life either. Thats all I have been using for 7 years at my shop and probably 11 years at the dealer and never an issue, :p
Good to know someone has no issues with the tape, I can never wrap that crap, lol! :bowl:

thanks SIMON...CALL ME DUUUUM,.. I was uninformed on the "high temp"
version of the liquid...learn something every day..
as for shelf life...I have found the compound starts to seperate and get "lumpy", and have had sealing issues when I "remixed" it by squeezing the tube...
as for the tape...its works great , but sometimes its as hard to master as
chinese quniform writing......LOL...

5sp. mini
01-08-2006, 10:25 AM
like reeves said make sure they are both flat and clean and it will seal. I used a little greese on the van, just to see when i got it tight.just make sure the studs in the head are tight . i have had one of them fall out.AL

GLHSKEN
01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
LOL... wouldn't you know it.. just installed a turbo.. looked and light through the flange... Just a sliver. Had to slap a bit of grease on there for the 1st time...

I hate Murphy and his stupid rules...

BadAssPerformance
01-08-2006, 11:12 AM
lol, damn Murphy...

I've never used grease, and usually dont use anything, however, have used Permatex Ultra Red High Temp Silicone RTV... it was suggested to me years ago by Turbonetics, and works well. The silicone still get compromised and crusty when it is removed, but it definitely doesn't leak. Also as previously said about grease, go very thin and dont get it near the opening.

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2006, 12:40 AM
LOL... wouldn't you know it.. just installed a turbo.. looked and light through the flange... Just a sliver. Had to slap a bit of grease on there for the 1st time...

I hate Murphy and his stupid rules...

Hahahahaa, If I ever find Murhpy, gonna kick his a'ss, :eyebrows: :banghead: