PDA

View Full Version : Took the Little Omni to the Track for the first time.

PunKid
05-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Specifics

1985 Dodge Omni GLH-T. Bone stock except a full 3" exhaust, 2.5" S/V, and a Straight through Magna flow muffler.

Driver, 180lbs I have raced my 72 D100 (13.7 @ 101mph), 88 Ramcharger (17.0 @ 78mph), 2003 Dakota (15.6 @ 87mph) and two bikes 87 Yamaha Fazer (12.6 @ 107mph) and 2006 Buell Lighting XB9SX (12.6 @ 105mph) So I have some experience but none with FWD or a Turbo.

Best run of the night

15.762 @ 87.33 with a 2.34 60ft

Conditions

50F, at sea level. Track seamed good traction wise.

I am happy with my results. I am actually very please with my 60ft for almost bone stock. But I was thinking I would be closer to low 15s and a little Higher in the MPH.

I do have a couple things that need to address that will help me out.

-I have had a little more then a half tank of fuel, as well as some tools and parts in the back.
-I have a code 54 that i can't seams to fix, so i think I am not getting full timing.
-I am only seeing 8psi in 4th (not sure on the other gears). I see anywhere from 7-10psi on the street. I have the stuff to build a G-valve.

So maybe with a G-Valve set at 10psi, less fuel and fixing the code 54 I will run a low 15.

BadAssPerformance
05-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Nice work for the first time out! :thumb:

Sounds like your "to address" list is a good start to better times. If you up the boost, make sure you got enough fuel!

Check the "1/4 mile times" link in my sig... add your info to that thread... We can all track your progress :thumb:

PunKid
05-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I almost fogot the real question I had is shift point.

I have seen a bunch of dyno graphs of these cars and they always seams to have great torque but fall flat on there face above 5000rpm

So my shift RPM was

1-2 was at 5000RPM
2-3 was at 5200RPM
3-4 was at 5300RPM

Was I playing it a little to conservative? I know in my 03 Dakota I ran a 16.2 the first time out shifting at 5K (no redline area in the tach) and then the next time I shifted a 5800 and I got a 15.7.

vntned
05-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Way to conservative! Get a MP Stage1 LM and turn the boost up to 13-14psi. Dont shift before 6000rpm. You should be able to break 14s!

GLHNSLHT2
05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
For the ECU and the weight it looks like you're right there.

Directconnection
05-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Looks like everything is about right. You have the stock log setup still (9-10psi) which cuts boost back to was it 7psi after a pre-set amount of time? (like being in it in 4th)

Your 60ft is ok.... for basic street tires.

I see nothing wrong with the 60ft and mph... maybe a wee-bit better since you're running a really good exhaust.

Now that you have a baseline, I's T-II that 'ole gal and then turn up the boost! Since you're in NH, me and a good friend have all the parts and experience in doing this.

***BTW: is this the old black GLH-T I set you up 9or your friend) with last fall? Jaimie Gould's car up in Hermon/Oldtown Maine? If so.... Kewl! I remember when he stopped by my house with it on the trailer after picking it up 4-5 years ago.

Lastly... I like your idea of shiftpoints. I would experiment with a bit higher, but probably no more than 5,600. I used to waste too much time wringing it out to 6,200 rpms, especially in 1st gear vs. short shifting the 1-2 and making 2nd gear shine.

PunKid
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately no. I do have that black car but it was too far gone and Someone already started cutting out the floor and sub frame. The interior was pretty trashed and the Engine knocked pretty good when I fired it up. I found this car (red) also in Maine but its and a lot less rust, I am using the black car as a donor, so at lease some of its good parts will live on.

I am not sure what the boost was through the first few gears but yea in 4th it was 8psi or worse. I actually have everything I need for the TII except the pig tails for the 4 Wire IAC and the newer style TPS. The only reason why I have not done the swap is I want to run a FMIC but I want to spend some time installing it so its just not hacked in. I also need to take the black cars turbo off and rebuild it as the seals in the red cars turbo is done.

Directconnection
05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Too bad about the black car.... but you're doing the right thing.