PDA

View Full Version : Was losing power and now it's ok, i'm confused

bakes
05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
:confused: For about a month roughly My truck seamed to be down on power (running at what would feel like stock levels) and i was losing 5mpg NO codes and and boost was the same 24-28 psi . and the sensor data looked OK . Then yesterday morning when towing my 5ft wheel pulling a long steep grade half way up it was like some flipped a switch and the stump pulling power was there again and my Mpg came back .

Has anyone had something like this happen to there truck and found some thing as a cause.

Aries_Turbo
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
clogged something or other?

shackwrrr
05-14-2011, 12:04 PM
only thing I coul think of that wouldnt change any sensor data or boost might be a bad stator in the torque converter not giving you the ~2:1 torque multiplication that it should.

bakes
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
only thing I coul think of that wouldnt change any sensor data or boost might be a bad stator in the torque converter not giving you the ~2:1 torque multiplication that it should.

that would hold true to me too but it was there in lock up to.

boost geek
05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe you need new spark plugs. :o

Evilancer
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
What kind of lift pump do you have on it?

RoadWarrior222
05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
clogged something or other?
Yeah sounds a bit like gummy/dirty injectors, get it hot, work it hard and it cleaned up.

bakes
05-14-2011, 11:08 PM
What kind of lift pump do you have on it?

factory in tank

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

But wouldn't a faulty lift pump give hard starting which i didn't have?

Im doubting dirty injectors as getting even one out of wack would set a imbalace code and power was still smooth form idle to redline pluss no smoking ever.

RoadWarrior222
05-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Unless it was some varnishy/waxy fuel that built up a coat in them more or less evenly... as opposed to a lump or grit.

bakes
05-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Unless it was some varnishy/waxy fuel that built up a coat in them more or less evenly... as opposed to a lump or grit.

but like i said it was like a flick of the switch the power came back not 1 cylinder at a time.

and i notice on the hiway the exhuast is a lot quieter then normal now . ( have 4" turbo to tail no mufflers)

shackwrrr
05-15-2011, 12:15 AM
but like i said it was like a flick of the switch the power came back not 1 cylinder at a time.

and i notice on the hiway the exhuast is a lot quieter then normal now . ( have 4" turbo to tail no mufflers)

hanging wastegate. When extra turbo lag always feels like an overall power loss to me even though up top it still has the same amount of boost.

bakes
05-15-2011, 12:22 AM
hanging waste gate. When extra turbo lag always feels like an overall power loss to me even though up top it still has the same amount of boost.

Hmmmmmmmm

but if i was Pulling 22psi full throttle and was running out of steam pulling the 5th up step grade having to find 2nd

now im pulling 18-22 same grade and weight and now half throttle 4th gear

shackwrrr
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Hmm, well Im trying to think of stuff that would make it louder and wastegate is the big one. Less fuel might make it louder but Im not sure.

bakes
05-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Fuel injection timing ??? the banks 6 gun plugs in between the crank and cam sensor.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Hmm, well Im trying to think of stuff that would make it louder and waste gate is the big one. Less fuel might make it louder but Im not sure.

no i agree with you

i just add for those who don't know my set up
1. Banks 6 with pda
2. cold air intake
3. 4" dyno max turbo back (no mufflers)
4 grainer valve set to 35 psi ( but has been removed just at the begging of this problem back to stock)
5 and my Cold air rad guards remove for summer

shackwrrr
05-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Fuel injection timing ??? the banks 5 gun plugs in betweeten the crank and cam sensor.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

no i agree with you

Could it be that the banks wasn't working right for a while? Like it wasn't getting a good connection somewhere?

boost geek
05-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Maybe you had it on the "slow mofo" setting.

bakes
05-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Maybe you had it on the "slow mofo" setting.

i usually run on setting 5 and only use level 6 or speed loader for when im feelling knotty:eyebrows:

RoadWarrior222
05-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe you blew out the taters someone rammed in yer pipes.

Evilancer
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
factory in tank

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

But wouldn't a faulty lift pump give hard starting which i didn't have?

Im doubting dirty injectors as getting even one out of wack would set a imbalace code and power was still smooth form idle to redline pluss no smoking ever.

A lift pump won't always cause hard starting, it doesn't take much fuel for it to start up and idle, as opposed to hauling a load with a programmer turned up, fuel demand is high then. To put it bluntly, the factory lift pumps were garbage to say the least.
I would STRONGLY suggest you look into adding an aftermarket pump such as an Airdog or a FASS. The 2 benefits are: 1- You know you arent going to starve the pump of fuel. 2- The added filtration they have is IMO a MUST on a common rail. The factory Dodge fuel filter is inadequate, and with the high injection pressures they run, any particle of foreign material or water will damage the tip of the injector.

I would also rule out an injector problem. If you say it starts and runs nice other than the lower than usual power output then they are more than likely ok. You know it when a common rail has an injector problem, they will smoke and idle rough as hell on a startup, your wallet will also know when you have to go to replace them!

Jon

bakes
05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
A lift pump won't always cause hard starting, it doesn't take much fuel for it to start up and idle, as opposed to hauling a load with a programmer turned up, fuel demand is high then. To put it bluntly, the factory lift pumps were garbage to say the least.
I would STRONGLY suggest you look into adding an aftermarket pump such as an Airdog or a FASS. The 2 benefits are: 1- You know you aren't going to starve the pump of fuel. 2- The added filtration they have is IMO a MUST on a common rail. The factory Dodge fuel filter is inadequate, and with the high injection pressures they run, any particle of foreign material or water will damage the tip of the injector.

I would also rule out an injector problem. If you say it starts and runs nice other than the lower than usual power output then they are more than likely OK. You know it when a common rail has an injector problem, they will smoke and idle rough as hell on a startup, your wallet will also know when you have to go to replace them!

Jon

I agree on the injectors not the problem . As for the lift pump i thought the in tank was a better of the two factory pumps(im not say i have a problem with this pump) . i remember when i worked in the dealership i changed a couple of trucks on a TSB to the in tank pump .

shadow88
05-15-2011, 06:41 PM
This only applies if it's a non common rail. What's the lift pump output pressure? I think you should have between 9 and 14 psi? I know there's a spec, but I don't have it handy. VP44 pumps WILL pull fuel from the tank but the volume isn't enough to make the power you want. Just because it's in the tank doesn't mean it can't die.

If it's a common rail, I would suggest looking into the air filter system and then wastgate. You could just tap the wastegate toward the actuator to see if it moves, though I think it won't any more.

bakes
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
03 HO common rail
and it is working good right know damit ! i want it to fail as i have a big long haul coming up in july

Evilancer
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I agree on the injectors not the problem . As for the lift pump i thought the in tank was a better of the two factory pumps(im not say i have a problem with this pump) . i remember when i worked in the dealership i changed a couple of trucks on a TSB to the in tank pump .

They still aren't any good. My truck had a in-tank retrofit from the dealer, would barely push 6 psi at idle and would fall to 0 quick as you began driving. Once you start modding it they just can't keep up in terms of volume.

As someone already mentioned, check all of the connections for your Banks.

bakes
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
They still aren't any good. My truck had a in-tank retrofit from the dealer, would barely push 6 psi at idle and would fall to 0 quick as you began driving. Once you start modding it they just can't keep up in terms of volume.

As someone already mentioned, check all of the connections for your Banks.

do you know of a intank up grade pump like are walbro 255l pump for are TM's?

shadow88
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Maybe try a lift pump gague and see where you're at? I just don;t see a pump getting low output, then fixing itself.

RoadWarrior222
05-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Well winter diesel might be lower lubricity when it warms up, due to having thinners and anti-freezing stuff in it, which is lighter hydrocarbons, then the summer stuff might be higher lubricity, or it got B10 or B5 in with higher still lubricity in, and it's bearings got happier...

... my Voyager's fuel pump is a dead pump running, but with bad weather, lack of time and now a bad back, I've been throwing an ounce of TC-W3 at it every fill to keep it chugging along until I get to it...

Evilancer
05-18-2011, 02:33 AM
do you know of a intank up grade pump like are walbro 255l pump for are TM's?

When you upgrade lift pumps on these trucks, you don't go with an intake setup. You go to an Airdog or a FASS. Just the added filtration they provide to keep contaminants from the injectors is worth while. We have 3 common rails at work and all run Airdog 150's.

bakes
12-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Well it came back last night on my 2 hour drive to visit family last night at 11pm on the open hi way it fish hooked 4 times then 5min later it set a DTC p0431 camshaft sensor performance thought was not going to restart at the fuel stop but it went into default started up . time to order a new camshaft sensor and replace it.

turbovanmanČ
12-28-2011, 05:07 AM
BTW, the lift pump is around 20 psi and its a common failure, you can get a nice aftermarket pump to replace it with 2 filters as the stocker sucks.

Glad you found it, intermittant stuff sucks, :(

RoadWarrior222
12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
... as long as it is that, and not some accessory snagging on the timing chain or belt...

shackwrrr
12-28-2011, 09:53 AM
... as long as it is that, and not some accessory snagging on the timing chain or belt...

Its all gears in the Cummins, if something gets in the way the case usually loses.

bakes
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
it turned out to be bad pin tension on the cam sensor connector. problem sovled .

RoadWarrior222
12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
I was wondering about something like that, because it isn't very common for sensors to fail intermittently in on/off fashion*, it sounded like a bad connection.

*i.e. they either slowly deteriorate or die completely but don't keep coming back again.

94GTC
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I still have the stock exhaust on my 03 and the potato thing/ clogged muffler will dog it down eventually. I never noticed it going bad, but now that it blew out , I am back up to my old 20 mpg driving to work. The Walbro 255 works well on mine and keeps the Smarty happy. They need a prefilter, but filter bases are not very expensive, and you can roll your own for alot less than an airdog, and carry a spare WB 255 in you tool box. Winter blend or #1 will drop the mileage 2-3 mpg. The B10 and B20 have great lubricity, but lower BTU, and they also have algae issues. I ran a couple of tanks of B20 and I lost around 1 mpg. The cam sensors usually work of not and I would really wonder if that was the actual problem.

bakes
06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
it was the cam sensor conection that was the problem it wasnt droping out just giving a weak signal to my Banks Six gun modual ,if it was plugged into the stock wiring it would have set a fault code right away inseed of waiting aslong as it did to fail.
I have a 4" exhaust from turbo to tip no muffler
im saving my $ for a air dog system

94GTC
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
The air dog is a sweet setup for sure.