PDA

View Full Version : New Product: Distributor Cap HEI adapter terminals (instead of a modified cap)

rbryant
05-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Hey everyone,

Many of you are aware of and have purchased my modified distributor caps and they have worked very well. I still make them but here is something new that might be even more appealing.

I have been working on an adapter terminal for a while now in my spare time and I have gone through a few revisions before finally getting them to the point where I am ready to sell them.

I will start them at $20 a set plus shipping ($25 total) and plan to raise them to $25 plus shipping. I can provide the matching spark plug wires if desired.

These are made to work exactly the same as my modified caps but they allow the customer to buy their own distributor cap and simply snap them in.

Ok well I made them extra tight so you have to tap them in lightly with a hammer but that makes them very stable and doesn't allow them to come out when a wire is removed unless you want them to come out.

This saves costs for everyone and gives more flexiblity in choosing a distributor cap!

By providing the terminals I see the following advantages over the modified caps:

The investment in the terminals is up front rather than spending a lot of time to modify each cap.
The customer can choose their own distributor cap. The type, brand, and cost is now up to them.
I don't have to have an inventory of caps and can ship them the day after the order.
They are slightly cheaper than the modified caps.
Shipping is cheaper.

They are now available for order here: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/msd_products.htm

I also have a couple of caps with the terminals pre-installed if interested in those for $30 shipped let me know

Thanks,
Rich

Reaper1
05-14-2011, 03:37 AM
VERY nice, Rich! I will be a future customer of those! :thumb:

BTW, for those reading, I already run Rich's modified cap set-up and have for YEARS. VERY nice product that simply works!

GLHNSLHT2
05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
wasn't the point of modifying the cap to get rid of the spade ends though? Or just to have more options in the wires we choose?

rbryant
05-14-2011, 04:34 PM
wasn't the point of modifying the cap to get rid of the spade ends though? Or just to have more options in the wires we choose?

The point of the mod was to get rid of the terminals being on the wires. The spades are fine because the motor is wide anyway.

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Very cool, :nod:

Directconnection
05-14-2011, 06:17 PM

I always hated the design of the terminals into the wire like the stock 2.2/2.5 used. My car always ate them up every other year... and forced me to buy new wires everytime. Now, you guys can buy one set of wires and be done with it forever (with exception to replacing only the terminals... which is nice)

rbryant
05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
I always hated the design of the terminals into the wire like the stock 2.2/2.5 used. My car always ate them up every other year... and forced me to buy new wires everytime. Now, you guys can buy one set of wires and be done with it forever (with exception to replacing only the terminals... which is nice)

The other issue is that the caps and terminals were designed for a 7mm wire/terminal. When you try to get an 8.5mm wire in there you have to trim it back and it makes the crimp weaker. Or you have to drill out the holes which isn't a good solution for many people.

It is also nice to have a brass terminal and be able to remove the wires without having to take the cap off. I could have also made a brass terminal with a much better crimp area but I think that the HEI spark plug type connection is much better than that. It also allows for a 90 degree connection for people running hybrids where a 90 is needed to clear the intake or a 2.0/2.4 cam driven distributor setup where the 90 degree is preferred.

Steel and aluminum terminals are just fine for the non arcing contacts but the arcing contact between the rotor and cap terminals is better as brass.

I think Simon also has a wire setup for my caps so you have the choice between the MSD and Aurora wires with these terminals. I wasn't sure that I would have time to make the modified caps forever (they take a bit of time for every single one) so this is my solution. :)

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes, I can do wires for Rich's cap, simply pick your poison, his or mine, either way, you won't lose.

I will add, if you get the right OE type terminal, they don't wear fast and they fit 8.5mm wires, :p

RoadWarrior222
05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Awesome...

Those stupid things were my pet peeve with the 2.5 I had for a while, only just found out about Rich's caps when I had to get rid of it. This looks like a great solution too... with the possible benefit you can flip them to wear both sides?

rbryant
05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Awesome...

Those stupid things were my pet peeve with the 2.5 I had for a while, only just found out about Rich's caps when I had to get rid of it. This looks like a great solution too... with the possible benefit you can flip them to wear both sides?

Yes if careful you can flip them. You will ave to pinch and push them out from the bottom side to be sure not to damage them.

-Rich

crazymadbastard
07-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Hi just ordered a set, who is making nice oem caps to go with these clips?
Also is there a diy link on how to mod the distributor to run off the cam?

rbryant
07-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Hi just ordered a set, who is making nice oem caps to go with these clips?
Also is there a diy link on how to mod the distributor to run off the cam?

Thanks for the order! I will get them shipped out tomorrow.

SMP makes a pretty good cap if you get the CH-408.

Napa's Echlin premium is about the best I have found and has a larger center button.

-Rich