PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Turbo

BadFastGTC
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I had sold this turbo to ACRTurtle and was looking over the thing before I shipped it. The rod on the wastegate can was a little rusted, so I decided to swap a better one over. I took off the old can and while giving the thing one more inspection, I noted this. Obviously this one wasn't sold. Saved him and me a ton of grief for sure!:amen:

Steve M.

turbovanmanČ
07-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow, thats some serious corrosion? Where did that come from?

Frank
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
GOT OIL???? hahaha

Captain Chaos
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Definately nasty looking. Thanks for the honesty:thumb: . Now to figure out what to get now.:(

Tony Hanna
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Is that a .48 or .63 housing. If it's a .63 I'd hate to wase it. If it was mine I think I'd pull the housing off and run it by a machine shop. I bet they could surface grind it and have it in fine shape. Then just clean the bolt holes up with a tap and you're ready to go.

BadFastGTC
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Wow, thats some serious corrosion? Where did that come from?

No idea where it came from. I suppose sitting didn't help it out.

Steve M.

BadFastGTC
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I coated it with PB Blaster before sealing it up in a plastic bag. Hence the oily appearance.

Steve M.

GOT OIL???? hahaha

BadFastGTC
07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
The housing is a .63. I looked at it a little closer today as I had the same thought you did. I expect it will be too thin once machined. I may just give it a go to see what is left after machining it.

Is that a .48 or .63 housing. If it's a .63 I'd hate to wase it. If it was mine I think I'd pull the housing off and run it by a machine shop. I bet they could surface grind it and have it in fine shape. Then just clean the bolt holes up with a tap and you're ready to go.

BadFastGTC
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Definately nasty looking. Thanks for the honesty:thumb: . Now to figure out what to get now.:(

TrrboJeep
07-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Isn't that what they make red RTV sealant for?..... :bolt:

GLHNSLHT2
07-13-2006, 10:34 PM
damn back east turbo's.

BadFastGTC
07-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Isn't that what they make red RTV sealant for?..... :bolt:

Oooohh! JB Weld!

BadFastGTC
07-14-2006, 07:48 AM
What is really irritating is I have had old Mitsu turbos & T2 turbos sit around for years with no issues like this one. Really a weird deal there.

Steve M.

damn back east turbo's.

GLHNSLHT2
07-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a 89 T2 turbo I got from Cliff Ramsdell that's almost like the turbo in the pic. The support bracket brace is almost completely rusted through. It boosted fine and didn't smoke so I ran it for a while.

Tony Hanna
07-15-2006, 02:43 AM
The housing is a .63. I looked at it a little closer today as I had the same thought you did. I expect it will be too thin once machined. I may just give it a go to see what is left after machining it.

Worst case, you could clean it up with a grinder, preheat it, and pad weld it.
I'm sure you could add enough metal so that it could be machined flat without being too thin. It's dependant on how much effort you want to put into it though. If you decide not to do anything with it, shoot me a PM. If the price is right I'll take it off your hands to try out my homemade pre/postheating rig.:thumb: