PDA

View Full Version : Leaky fuel rail pulse damper

shackwrrr
05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Ok, 2 piece intake going on a 2.5 T1. The Pulse damper is leaking fairly significantly and I wont need it anyway. Whats the best way to block it off?

Also, will my 1 piece wiring harness work alright without extending any wires?

Thanks.

cordes
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I believe the wiring harness should work fine. I don't know about removing the damper though. The two piece rails are pretty rough to stop from leaking once they've started from what I've read.

MR. X
05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
I think it was in 90 or 91 they eliminated them with no ill effect. I would consider welding a cap on it.

shackwrrr
05-13-2011, 06:26 AM
I think it was in 90 or 91 they eliminated them with no ill effect. I would consider welding a cap on it.

The reason they didn't need it anymore is because they went with sbec which is sequential and only one injector fires at a time. With the lm or smec firing 2 at a time the pressure drop was big enough that the fuel pressure would bounce, most likely causing damage to the pump and FPR diaphragm.

Reeves
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

I've seen some of those before.

I made an aluminum cap out of hex stock that screwed on mine. Used the copper washer that was in the pulse dampener to seal it.

The reason they didn't need it anymore is because they went with sbec which is sequential and only one injector fires at a time. With the lm or smec firing 2 at a time the pressure drop was big enough that the fuel pressure would bounce, most likely causing damage to the pump and FPR diaphragm.

Huh, I'd never heard that before, but it does make sense! :thumb: