PDA

View Full Version : Differences in GLH and GLHS ECU?

abstractism
05-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Are there any differences in a GLH and GLHS ECU? I might be able to get my hands on one, but I'm not sure what exactly the difference would be.

ShelGame
05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm not an L-Body guy so I could be wrong, but I think a GLH is a log T1 and the GLHS was a T2. So, yeah, the ECU will have some differences...

shackwrrr
05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I am pretty sure that the omni glhs had an 86 computer (map on board) so They could be the same if yours is an 86.

supercrackerbox
05-10-2011, 01:02 PM
You're both right. '86 GLH and '86-'87 Shelby Charger used the same electronics, as did the '86-'87 GLHS. Difference is the GLHS had the extra wiring for the blow through throttle body and three wire O2 sensor. I don't know actually where the GLHSs had the MAP sensor from the factory. The computer was set up for the on board MAP, however my old GLH had the dealer retrofit kit to move it under the hood (which I duplicated for my Shelby Charger), and my GLHS has the MP Super 60 engine harness, so the MAP is under the hood and there's no LM.

tryingbe
05-11-2011, 10:00 AM
84 GLH is n/a
85 GLH is turbo and n/a
86 GLH is turbo and n/a

I don't think their LM (ecu) is interchangeable with each other.

sdac guy
05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
There are a number of differences, enough that whatever your car is, you want the exact logic module for that car (glh or glhs) and that year.

The main differences between the glh & glhs modules have been mentioned already. The AIS motor wiring have added pins on the glhs module because for the T2 type throttle body they went to a stepper motor from the servo type motor the log intake TB used. This also means the chip that controls the AIS motor was changed between the two modules.

The 85 & 86 glh modules differ because they changed the distributor in 1986. The basic operation of the hall effect pickup in the distributor is handled differently in the 1986 & up model years compared to 84-85. Some folks have successfully got mixing those parts to work, but to work right, the later logic module must have the 86 & up distributor.

So, all this means that a GLHS needs a GLHS computer to run correctly, though the 1986 GLHS computer was used for the 1987 model also. And that between different years of the GLH, the correct year must match the distributor it was designed for. The L-bodies are peculiar in that the 1986 electronics for the 2 dr and 4 dr car was carried over to the 1987 model year.

Barry