PDA

View Full Version : General: WTB: A/C Setup for Turbo Caravan

Lee'sdaytona
05-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Greetings all,
In my 89 Turbo Caravan, I ripped out the A/C system from the firewall to the front of the car. Figured quick weight loss, and I can go without the non working A/C anyway. Well, at the end of this month, we plan to take my van on a 5 hour drive to visit family with my 85 year old grandfather. We NEED A/C. I went to a few junkyards today, and found tons of compressors that would work (assuming the N/A 4cyl cars have the same compressors), but the lines and condenser (thing near the radiator) are different. I found a second gen 4cyl van, which I thought would work, but some of the wiring appears different. If someone has the hoses, condesner and fan, I would really appreciate it. Any tips on what models, and years are compatable would help greatly also.
Thanks,
Lee

A.J.
05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Don't worry about the extra electrical. All you need is the low side switch to make it work in your '89.

If you get up to 1990, N/A or turbo it doesn't matter, the compressor, condenser, lines, receiver/dryer, and expansion valve you should be all set. In 1991 + things can get confusing. If you use that compressor, you need to use that a/c compressor bracket. R12 has the low side fitting on the compressor, R134a has it in the line. You can mix and match R12 components with R134a components but you may have to have a low side fitting added to a line. Stick with the '90 and below condenser and it will bolt right in. The later condenser takes some fabrication but it can be used. I hope you don't mind me adding this information to your for sale thread, but I figured it would help in getting the right parts. Feel free to PM me any questions.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
05-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I have a good working A/C compressor, I'll see if I have any lines. I should have a fan too.

As for the condenser, just buy a new one, same with the reciever dryer, save alot of headache's too.

Lines are for 89/90 only, not sure about 2nd gen 4 cylinders, but something tells me no.

Compressors are another cluster f*ck, Dodge liked to change them around on various models, :(

A.J.
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
You can use the later lines (I did) but you have to match R12 lines to the R12 compressor and the same with R134 because of the different locations of the low side fitting. If you use a R134 compressor and R12 lines you won't be able to fill the system without getting a fitting added. That happened on my Dad's '85 wagon.

A.J.

Lee'sdaytona
05-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I found someone parting an 89 turbo van on this forum, so maybe that will be a good lead for me, but have not yet herd back. So buy a new condenser, and dryer. Sounds good to me.
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Bump,.....Still in need of 89/90 4 cylinder lines. Picked up a compressor today from the J/Y from an 89 turbo Lebaron. Gosh I'm kicking myself for throwing all this stuff out!
-Lee