PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Ram Gear Oil Question

bfarroo
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm going to be replacing the gear oil in the front and rear diffs. The rear has the limited slip unit. I was looking at the royal purple gear oil since I'll mainly be using it for towing and would like the extra protection. The Royal purple says it is good for limited slip applications so I shouldn't need any extra additives for it should I?

135sohc
05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
The mopar or amsoil LSD additive is $10/tube or less. Its cheap insurance against trac-lok failure.

rich tideswell
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
From the web site:

Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. It’s designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.
Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple’s proprietary Synslide additive technology.
Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

black86glhs
05-09-2011, 11:24 PM
From the web site:

Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. It’s designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.
Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple’s proprietary Synslide additive technology.
Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.htmlThis ad brought to you by Rich.

LOL!