PDA

View Full Version : 2000 dodge caravan 3.0l long block

shayne
05-08-2011, 01:31 AM
as the title says, i have a 3l of 92 vintage and i am looking at getting a later model lower mileage core for a rebuild. the basic architecture of the long block is the same, correct? did they change the block casting at all (thicker or thinner?) through the years?. Will i be able to use my existing accesory brackets, distributor (and distributor adaptor for that matter), and my origional flexplate (vs. the late model optical crank sensor flexplate) i think they are machined the same througout the years, but i wouldnt mind some opinions from anyone that knows. :thumb:thanks
shayne.

black86glhs
05-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Brent in 3....2.....1.....

dodgeshadowchik
05-08-2011, 09:24 AM
As far as I know the 3.0L stayed the same after 94 through the rest of its run. In '94 it got better valve stem seals and guides to solve the notorious "smoking" issue.

Now, the caravan body style changed in 97, so the layout of the accessories could be different; but I'd think you could just use your old stuff without an issue.

Irocelectric93
05-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Style changed in 96 :)

87turbodance
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I recently grabbed a pair of heads from a '00 van and it looked like all the later style 3.0s with the second idler pulley in addition to the belt tensioner. I have the early style on my '89 that only has the tensioner but no idler.

Everything should swap over directly with no problem.

OBD2 motor have a Hall-effect sensor mounted in the back of the transmission to read marks in the flex plate. Re-use your flex plate and distributor from the '92. Also double check that you don't need the injectors from your '92 - can't remember what the cross-over year was for low impedance to high impedance injectors was. Sequentially injected car have high impedance injectors (late style). Also re-use your old engine mounts. Coolant temp sensor will have a different connector on the newer motor. Use your '92 rear exhaust manifold. Main benefit of using the later motor is that you get all the head upgrades and a newer motor.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

shayne
05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
mine has the high impedance injectors, (its sequentially injected), so as it looks i just have to make an allowance for for the extra idler then.. well that opens up a whole ton more of low k cores i can use. has anyone cc'd the late heads, or cc'd the pistons to see if there is any validity to the discussion of whether the later motors had 9.3:1 compression ratio? or if it was just advertising.

Ondonti
05-11-2011, 02:26 AM
You can swap anything you need to.

I think the 9.3:1 is false as the one I popped a piston on 2 summers ago looks exactly like a 1992-1995 piston. That was a 1997 model year engine. I think they just gave it some ignition timing and tried to say it was compression instead of them holding back power to create a gap between motors to help sell more premium engine packages (chryco engines instead of mitsu).

Newer motors all seem to have nicer ports. The old motors (especially slider cam heads) have nasty looking ports.