PDA

View Full Version : 87 CSX X11 Prototype _ Factory 16 valve

Joe Anderson
05-08-2011, 12:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/orig-dodge-shadow-shelby-csx-11-prototype-/150593545474?pt=race_cars_not_street_legal_&hash=item2310132502#ht_500wt_943

Well been busy trying to get the new X11 home,but after some hard work.... its finally home in the Seattle area.

Just by a brief look under the hood,and chassis- sure looks like one heck of a pre-production powerhouse. The best of everything on all parts,and everything is beefed up/reinforced.

Performance was the name of the game on all the " X " cars. This certain car was 1 of 2 sent to Lotus ( in England ) for performance work / testing.

bakes
05-08-2011, 12:56 AM
It's good to hear she found a good home !!!!!!
hope to hear more about it and maybe see it one day in action.

CoolV300C
05-08-2011, 07:40 AM
How about some more (and better)pics to document it? Congratulations on the new car!

BadAssPerformance
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the update Joe! We look forward to hearing more about it! :thumb:

thedon809
05-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Need moar pictures.

bakes
05-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Should give Rob (ShelGame) a pm he should be albe to get you a Sbec (ecu) with Cal to get that beast back up and running.

2.216VTurbo
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Good to hear from you Joe. Might I add what a good deal you got on the car:eyebrows:, I 'worked' with Andy on and off for about 2 years on the price of that car. Mostly it seemed like he wanted the car to go to a 'qualified' owner. His pricepoint was right around $15K and didn't drop much over the course of the negotiations. When the car hit Ebay, I had just purchased a couple cars and storage space is waaay to scarce right now. I'm glad it found a good home:clap: You had the Skip Pipes IMSA CSX for a while too didn't you, like 15 years ago?

Anyway, more pics and updates would be awesome even if progress is slow:)

cordes
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
In for pics. I can't wait to see all the special pieces.

Joe Anderson
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Always wondered why shelby installedthe 16 inch pumpers on this car,as shown at the shelby garage sale ?

Because shelby had installed the 89 daytona 11 inch brake system on this,and it would not clear the 15 inch csx wheels.
This must have been the only one,because all the other shelby garage sale cars had 15 inch wheels.
Was told it has a pre-production A-568 with posi,and the very rare 413 final drive ratio.I bet this thing would launch very quickly.Uses the stock csx intercooler,internally modfied radiator for increased cooling.A narrow radiator fan from some early 80's dodge car.Sbec wiring harness ( not vnt ),will look for stickers.Some of the support brackets are home made by shelby or lotus. A lot of the stuff has the four digit CS part numbers written on them ( hoses,sensors,brackets,cables,ecu,airbox ).Shelby and lotus had to hand make everything,since this was pre-production car and the factory RT stuff would not be around till late 1990.
The engine has a big " P11 " stamped on it,which I guess means 16 valve prototype 11. Still trying to figure out the engine internals.I was told it could be de-stroked,ported,forged,cross-drilled,flow-tested,and maybe somewhere betwween a 2.0 to 2.7 race engine,lightened flywheel or under drive pulley.The turbo looks fo the most part stock,but could be internally modified( the turbo tag has a " cs " number written on it). The exhaust manifold looks to be a pre-production part,to support a 3 inch exhaust,I bet the cat is internally hollowed out for free flowing (thats the way it was on my other prototype shelby ).While in England,lotus installed the H4 headlights and modified the rear lighting for thier standards.Also has dated lotus stickers through out the car,and temperature test stickers too ( lots in engine and trunk ). Has a 16 inch pumper in spare tire hold,with " csx x11" written on the front lip typed in yellow.Has a added lower gauge cluster for cyl temp,oil pressure,warning lights and extra switches for the england lights. Has a interrior pigtail for a connection to chrysler test computer.The orignal sbec computer was in the trunk,the original owner must have forgotten about it. The x11 sbec has been modified the accept different epproms and has a wire coming out of the board ( the gell is un-broken on the sides,so chrysler must have made this )
Has the original gp struts are in the front,but the springs look altered.The rear has air shocks,with modified springs. The rear axle was switched to a daytona shelby.Shelby upgraded the front to the 89 csx crossmember,with the 1.25 sway bar.Has a beefed up front radiator core support,looks different from the 89 csx.
It has a NOS bottle in the trunk,with two spray nozzels in the modified shelby intake,believe its good for 50 horsepower.
There is a extra fan in front of the intercooler,to help keep things cool at idle.The roadwheel centercaps say "dodge" instead of "cs" . Lots more that will come later,with more inspections. Still need to look at the fuel injectors and wiring harness better.
One of these days,I will pull one of the valve covers and get some pictures ( venture to say it will be totally different from a RT ). People keep telling me that it could have solid lifters.

Upon reading this,how much horspower do you think this has? I am guessing 300-350 ? Maybe more depending on engine internals?

Reminds me alot of the former Shelby Factory IMSA car,that I use to own.

Probally need to talk to Cindy at FWD Performance,since she owns the Birthday car with one of other Shelby 16 valve motors. Although,I believe her car car was not modiied by shelby as much,and never went to England for special the parts.

Can hardly wait to pull the valve cover.

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Awesome, so glad it found a home, :nod:

Directconnection
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in Joe. And when we mean we need pix and *more* info.... we really mean it, so don't worry about bragging about your car. :thumb:

BTW: I remember you from the SDML from the '90's and you were pretty hard into these cars back then (the rare ones)

Joe Anderson
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
I am going spend the next couple of days writing down all the chrysler,lotus,and CS part numbers.Also will be trying to document this as much as possible,before it heads over to the storage unit. It will reside next to my 87 CSX #Proto 1 ,for awhile in the storage unit.

Will not be able to work on X11 until I am finished with 88 csx #3 this summer. The #3 car was given to the president of thrifty by shelby in 1989.Its 1 of 2 csx-t 's to be intercooled by shelby.The president of thrifty raced it for a few seasons,lucky-no wrecks,body is straight.

Restored 89 csx #499 last year,its up at the storage unit too.

Johnny
05-10-2011, 12:33 AM
until I am finished with 88 csx #3 this summer
That will be a lot of work!!

glhs0075
05-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice collection of Shelby history Joe!

zin
05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice to see that someone that is willing and able to document and restore a piece history is the one who got this car!

Perhaps even more so, one that is willing to take the time and effort to actually share!

Mike

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Nice to see that someone that is willing and able to document and restore a piece history!

Perhaps even more so, one that is willing to take the time and effort to actually share!

Mike

ScottD
05-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the post with all the unique aspects of the car, would love to see more detailed photos.

Joe Anderson
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Update..

I just found the the Duty papers for X11.

These papers state the car was there in England.The papers are listed under Chryslers name.The thing holding the papers was attached to the front windshield in some sort of holder. The holder has Lotus stamped on the outside part.
Looks like it was in England towards the end of 1988,and all of 1989. It was renewed three times ( duty permit good for 6 months each). I have those original three permits in my hand,and they look like new.

Also, just found out more about the turbo. The turbo inlet casting says " Nissan Motor " ,and the exhaust side casting says "Garrett ". Being that its a pre-production 16 valve car,they had to put two different turbo's together for a match.

Being that this was originally an 87 csx #11 ,and then later converted to X11 status..... the seats,ground effects ,gille , st wheel ,emblems , decals , hood ,emission decals have been left unchanged from a regular 87 csx.

Except for the pumpers that shelby added ( X11 status ),the rest of the car ( externally ) is standard 87 csx.

The modifications ( X11 status ) was limited to the wheels,brakes,engine block,engine internals,head & internals,valve cover,wiring,computer,external computer pigtail,vac harness,gauges,headlights,rear lights,shifter,trans,oil cooler,engine fans,intake,complete exhaust,turbo,solenoids,swaybar,front & rear crossmembers,rear shocks only,all suspension springs,spare tire,and removal of A/C.

Most of this was described in a earlier post,in this thread.

Reaper1
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Simply awesome! :thumb: I agree that I'm happy to hear this went to a good home, and even happier that it went to somebody willing to share!

Thank you!!

DC Turismo
05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
So any way to get it titled so you are able to drive it street legal Joe?

Joe Anderson
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Driving it on the steet ( with a title ) will come at a later time...no big hurry.

I would be the first registered owner,but some say its worth less if titled.

Its going down to the storage unit Saturday,and will be there until the other cars are finished.

Joe Anderson
05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Plan on creating a photobucket account to harbor some pictures of X11.

I detailed the car a little bit yesterday,and took lots of pictures.

Will post a link for pictures,when its set up.

Everyone keeps asking....for more.

jonnyb
05-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Joe - glad to see you over on this board! I wasn't sure if you knew about it and I was going to mention it to you.

Take pictures of the engine/suspension etc. and post them before you hide it away in storage!

Jon

cordes
05-12-2011, 08:02 PM
What an exciting story. Thanks for sharing.

spirit1991
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Very cool thread. So neat to see the development of the TIII.

Every time I read this thread I think of this classic Get Smart episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoX2iUZqZSs

zin
05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I gotta say, if I had the funds available to me, I would have just had to have the X-11, to go with my X-11 (Chevy), it has a certain synchronicity about it!...

That said, it seems it has found a more worthy home, and for that I'm glad!

But, if you ever want to sell it...

Mike

glhs571
05-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for sharing, we all look forward to seeing more pictures. Please share the link whenever possible.