PDA

View Full Version : sand blasting ?

TurboBlue
07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
I was wondering if sand blasting and media blasting removes all rust or is it still present in the metal ?

I was thinking of getting a sandblaster and cleaning up all the rust underneath my dodges then PORing them. Got some wheels to paint too.

capev86
07-10-2006, 10:23 PM
it gets much deeper than a regular sander or hand sanding will. and it takes off old paint to expose any other trouble spots and clean out future potential problems. but you still need to properly prep and coat the metal as soon as possible. on my k wagon, i'm gonna have the entire body blasted, repaired and then painted in zinc primer before the new paint goes down. and the underside is gonna be poly truck bed liner to deaden noise and act as a tough rustproofing!!!

capev86
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Por 15 is UV sensitive and requires certain other products to make sure it adheres to the surface. thats why im just gonna poly the bottom to give it better protection. i've had por 15 decay and peel off because the prep work was absolutely perfect!!

WVRampage
07-13-2006, 11:58 PM
theres also a paint called chassis saver its some good stuff ans sticks to anything and doesnt require much prep,its alos uv sensitive but some chap rustoleum over it looks great.

TurboBlue
07-17-2006, 02:12 AM
I found a gravity feed sandblaster for $50 at the local autobody supplier. I think it was called superblaster. Has a ceramic nozzle. Do the nozzles wear out quickly ?
Any recomendations on what I should use to clean the sand reside off with after blasting ?

TurboBlue
07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
So i got the blaster today, and etching primer. Was told I colud use thinner to clean surface.