PDA

View Full Version : Moroso Spiral-Flow?

John B
05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking of trying the 3" Moroso Spiral-Flow muffler on my Shadow. Have any of you tried this muffler?

BadAssPerformance
05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
link? pics?

John B
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
link? pics? Sure!

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=35054

Force Fed Mopar
05-05-2011, 09:27 AM
DodgeZ has a spiral flow muffler on his CSX, not a Moroso some other cheaper one (not stainless, regular exhaust steel w/ a black coating). I don't much care for the idle sound of it, but driving around it sounds good and seems to flow good.

shackwrrr
05-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I had one on my shadow and it makes anything sound really deep but doesn't quiet it down much. They are pretty restrictive though, the exhaust has to make a bunch of turns to get around all the baffles.

DOHCRT
05-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I have run both the 2.5" and 3" out the side of my "T" both with an 8V and now with a TIII. I really like it, relatively quiet and does not seem to restrict flow a bunch. The sound at idle is a deep throaty burble and at speed it sounds nice, nothing like the pissed off hornets that the ricers use.

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I have run both the 2.5" and 3" out the side of my "T" both with an 8V and now with a TIII. I really like it, relatively quiet and does not seem to restrict flow a bunch. The sound at idle is a deep throaty burble and at speed it sounds nice, nothing like the pissed off hornets that the ricers use.

What about drone?

Have a sound clip?

RoadWarrior222
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I was reading that drone can be highly affected by the kind of tip you use. Because sound pressure waves can hit the body if there's any bodywork within a 90* or so turn of the outlet... and turned down tips tend to do best.

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I found turn downs are the worst for drone. Ever driven a vehicle with turn down's, its brutal.

DodgeZ
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXKrecEMUU

Force Fed Mopar
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
I found turn downs are the worst for drone. Ever driven a vehicle with turn down's, its brutal.

I agree.

ATaylorRacing
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
I had been using a 2 1/2" Spiral flow on my SRT4 Pit Bull with dual resonators and dual rear exit then went to a 3" side exhaust....but did not run a bit quicker. The side exit has two resonators also and seems quieter if at cruise. To get rid of a droning noise on the highway I put one of these
http://www.jegs.com/i/Car-Chemistry/176/2DI03L/10002/-1?parentProductId=744688
into a 3" diameter section of pipe that was swelled to slip over my shortened side exit....then a hole was drilled through the entitre cross section and a single long 3 1/2" bolt was stuck through it all to hold it in place. In under a minute I can pull out the single bolt and pull off the 3" section that has the baffle in it. It does NOT seem to slow the car down on the street and I have not tried it at the track, but it sure helps mellow out the exhaust note on WOT and when engine braking...REALLY makes for a more pleasant cruise though.

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Sounds like alot of interior noise.

I had been using a 2 1/2" Spiral flow on my SRT4 Pit Bull with dual resonators and dual rear exit then went to a 3" side exhaust....but did not run a bit quicker. The side exit has two resonators also and seems quieter if at cruise. To get rid of a droning noise on the highway I put one of these
http://www.jegs.com/i/Car-Chemistry/176/2DI03L/10002/-1?parentProductId=744688
into a 3" diameter section of pipe that was swelled to slip over my shortened side exit....then a hole was drilled through the entitre cross section and a single long 3 1/2" bolt was stuck through it all to hold it in place. In under a minute I can pull out the single bolt and pull off the 3" section that has the baffle in it. It does NOT seem to slow the car down on the street and I have not tried it at the track, but it sure helps mellow out the exhaust note on WOT and when engine braking...REALLY makes for a more pleasant cruise though.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

So you used just one, as well as the 2 resonator's?

DodgeZ
05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Sounds like alot of interior noise.

it isn't. It is almost too quite IMO.

Darkwolf
05-06-2011, 01:32 AM
I've had a 3" on my van for around 6 years. No drone on mine but I may be getting old because I wouldn't mind something quieter :).

John B
05-06-2011, 01:46 AM
BTW, I'm also using a 3" Borla straight through at the back, so there will be a 3" Magnaflow cat, the Spiral Flow, and then the Borla. Right now I'm using a 31" Magnaflow 3" straight through and no cat (sounds great!!), but I'm getting ready to ship the car back to the US and it has to have a cat on it for import.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

That's with the Spiral Flow?

Force Fed Mopar
05-06-2011, 08:39 AM
That's with the Spiral Flow?

Yes it is. I've ridden in the car, it's not very loud at all. IIRC he has a full 3" exhaust also. It is quieter than my full 3" w/ a Walker Ultraflo (basically a straight through muffler) and has less drone. To me it sounded like maybe 1 step above stock as far as the sound level, the actual tone under power is much nicer though. His spiral flow is mounted up front where the cat was, whereas mine is at the back in the stock location. Not sure how much difference the placement makes as far as sound goes.

DodgeZ
05-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes it is. I've ridden in the car, it's not very loud at all. IIRC he has a full 3" exhaust also. It is quieter than my full 3" w/ a Walker Ultraflo (basically a straight through muffler) and has less drone. To me it sounded like maybe 1 step above stock as far as the sound level, the actual tone under power is much nicer though. His spiral flow is mounted up front where the cat was, whereas mine is at the back in the stock location. Not sure how much difference the placement makes as far as sound goes.

They say drone is removed when you move the muffler closer to the engine, At least that is what the guy said when I bought that 4" spiral for the diesel truck. My neighbor commented on how nice my car sounds. He says when I fire it up in the morning it sounds mean as hell. LOL

I like the muffler. I got it from summit or jegs IIRC. The paint burned right off and it is all rust now.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-94051/ That is the one I got.

Aries_Turbo
05-06-2011, 10:00 AM
to cut drone on long trips i slide a soup can over the end of the exhaust (progresso) with a 1.5" hole cut in the end and hold it in place with a 3" band clamp lol.

makes for a nice trip. :)

turbovanmanČ
05-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I've had a 3" on my van for around 6 years. No drone on mine but I may be getting old because I wouldn't mind something quieter :).

Auto or 5 speed?

They say drone is removed when you move the muffler closer to the engine, At least that is what the guy said when I bought that 4" spiral for the diesel truck. My neighbor commented on how nice my car sounds. He says when I fire it up in the morning it sounds mean as hell. LOL

I like the muffler. I got it from summit or jegs IIRC. The paint burned right off and it is all rust now.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-94051/ That is the one I got.

Hmmm, I've tried the muffler up front and the rear, made zero difference.

I might have to try that muffler, thanks for the input.

to cut drone on long trips i slide a soup can over the end of the exhaust (progresso) with a 1.5" hole cut in the end and hold it in place with a 3" band clamp lol.

makes for a nice trip. :)

Only you, :rolleyes: :lol:

RoadWarrior222
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
About the turndowns, are we talking rear exit turndowns? Coz side exit, you'll tend to bounce pressure waves off the pavement and catch them again.

turbovanmanČ
05-06-2011, 01:21 PM
About the turndowns, are we talking rear exit turndowns? Coz side exit, you'll tend to bounce pressure waves off the pavement and catch them again.

Any turn down. I've driven car's and trucks with turn downs under and wow. I tried one on the van, right at the back under the bumper, was deafening.