PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 1989 Dodge Carvan R/T 2.5l turbo 5 spd.

k0ts
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Date: 01st May 2011
Username: k0ts
Full Name:Joe Fishburn
City, State, Zip:Rochester, MN 55901
Contact: My email is joe@joefishburn.com or call 507-271-3402
Selling or Wanted Price: $3995

Description: This van is from Texas and has NO rust. Here is a link to details
and pictures... http://www.joefishburn.com/van.html

raccoon
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
cool its near me for once!

neongary
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Nice van, though didn't know they actually had the R/T designation.

A.J.
05-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice van, though didn't know they actually had the R/T designation.

They didn't. Chrysler didn't use the R/T designation in the 80's. Not until '91 with the Spirit R/T. I don't think this one is even an ES. He could have chose a better tranny for the swap though. It's a nice looking van. I don't see him getting $3900 for it.

A.J.

Directconnection
05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
They didn't. Chrysler didn't use the R/T designation in the 80's. Not until '91 with the Spirit R/T. I don't think this one is even an ES. He could have chose a better tranny for the swap though. It's a nice looking van. I don't see him getting $3900 for it.

A.J.

Not to be a TM Mod-Nazi.... but per the rules, it's not accepted (nor is it cool) to shat on the seller's post/asking price/ vehicle/ etc...

Lee'sdaytona
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
for what its worth, I converted my 89 turbo caravan SE to a 5spd via an A-520. I did use a heavy duty pressure plate, and I have hauled some heavy woodworking equipment with it, and put about 40,000 miles on it. I occasionally open it up, but basically drive it nicely, and I have had zero issues with the 520. If it were built for the drag strip, that would be a different story.
-Lee

tsiconquest88
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
nevermind what i asked i thought u were selling it lee

rosie
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
My friends 520 in a fully optioned Lancer plus heavy --- stereo equipment didn't have any issues.

Bump for the van I wish I could buy for snowboarding trips!

tsiconquest88
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
i didnt realize it was extended model lol, i didnt even click the link for pics.

Vigo
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Nobody has said anything about that because it ISNT a long wheelbase van. Look at it.

tsiconquest88
05-25-2011, 07:47 PM
now looking at the van, i think the pic makes it looked stetched in the middle and thats prob where she got the idea? not sure.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

i never seen hard "turbo" badging on the turbo mini's.... did certain ones get that or did someone maybe stick those on their from a tm car? I only ever see the turbo decals on the fenders.

Vigo
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Those are added, not factory. Factory tape/stripe decals would have been removed (ruined) before the repaint it got. Easier to replace with plastic badges than find/buy/recreate the factory tape decal.

rosie
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
now looking at the van, i think the pic makes it looked stetched in the middle and thats prob where he got the idea? not sure.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

i never seen hard "turbo" badging on the turbo mini's.... did certain ones get that or did someone maybe stick those on their from a tm car? I only ever see the turbo decals on the fenders.

Edited my post. Yours too

Rosie in san diego

tsiconquest88
05-25-2011, 09:42 PM
oh i was like edited what lol? he instead of she!!! Sirry about that i kind of just assumed at rosie it was a female. I figured if you were a female you would be more insulted to see he so i went that route lol. But anyway when i looked at the pic just before, like i said above i guess i could see where you thought it might be extended due to the way the pic is, kind of looks stretched. Ultimately, the long ones have a longer rear window which is the way to tell off the bat, just so you know.

rosie
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
oh i was like edited what lol? he instead of she!!! Sirry about that i kind of just assumed at rosie it was a female. I figured if you were a female you would be more insulted to see he so i went that route lol. But anyway when i looked at the pic just before, like i said above i guess i could see where you thought it might be extended due to the way the pic is, kind of looks stretched. Ultimately, the long ones have a longer rear window which is the way to tell off the bat, just so you know.

I'm about Cordes size, but not as skinny and my side burns are older. It's a lot funnier when people find out I'm a guy in person.

The angle of the picture made it look like the back window was stretched. I think it was the fact that I want a snow car to haul all my friends and all our gear up the mountain by next season made me see what I wanted to see. As soon as you pointed it out I smacked my forhead and yelled "DOH!!!":bolt:

Free bump and check out the sellers home page. He's got an 86GLHS in front of a blue angel!

Vigo
05-27-2011, 12:58 PM
The short van will carry nearly as much stuff as the long one.. i dont think cargo space becomes an issue until you actually have all the seats full and have luggage for that many people. There's always a way, though...

turbovanmanČ
05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow, that paint rocks, :nod:

BTW, its a regular van, not extended. You can tell my how much sticks out past the rear wheels.

rosie
05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow, that paint rocks, :nod:

BTW, its a regular van, not extended. You can tell my how much sticks out past the rear wheels.

nuh uhh

Hondaeg6
05-27-2011, 05:04 PM
bump for a look

moparfreak
06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
They didn't. Chrysler didn't use the R/T designation in the 80's. Not until '91 with the Spirit R/T.
A.J.

um didnt they have aspen r/t's in the early eighties? i could be wrong, im a newbie ;)

A.J.
06-16-2011, 09:38 PM

A.J.

um didnt they have aspen r/t's in the early eighties? i could be wrong, im a newbie ;)

Possibly, but I'm referring to the FWD vehicles in the 80's. So let me clarify. Chrysler didn't use the R/T designation ON FWD VEHICLES in the 80's.

A.J.

bloodrose
07-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I purchased the van. It's got some rattles here and there and there was a loud clunking on the right strut. Turned out a weld broke somewhere near the ball joint. I had my mechanic put a good weld on it and now the sound is gone. This was something the guy I bought it from failed to tell me about when I asked him if ANYTHING was wrong with the van. Unfortunately taking a one-way bus trip out there didn't give me much leverage to say no to him not willing to adjust the price. I also had to work at 4 am the next day so it was pretty crucial that I left shortly after I got out there. There are some common van interior panel rattles I'll have to get rid of and the oil leak was much greater than he described. The hood had a few small dents on it and there was a paint chip there that was poorly painted over with touch up paint as well as two or three very small rust bubbles starting on the front of the hood. There is also a crack in the paint just above the right rear wheel where some rust is starting up. Other wise the van is really rust free. The 5 speed swap was done really well by a previous owner and the boost gauge that he installed where the warning lights normally are looks like it was there from the factory. There also is a noise that I hear from time to time, sounds like it might be a transmission mount, need to get that looked at. Also I think the idler pulley for the A/C is going. So for $3995 and a 6 hour road trip back to Green Bay I have a van I've been trying to get a hold of for years.

Now, I want to try to find the person who did the conversion so I can ask him/her what else they did to it and whatever other history it has. If anyone can help me with this that would be great.

tsiconquest88
07-16-2011, 05:07 PM
new for 2012 is a real caravan RT lol anyone seen them? i like them!!

spirit1991
07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
No, Havnt seen one yet. Noticed the R/T in the small print in the tv commercials. Unfortunatly Chryslers new idea of "R/T" is higher trim level not higher HP.

tsiconquest88
07-16-2011, 05:58 PM
yea well thats no shock lol

Juggy
07-16-2011, 06:59 PM
new for 2012 is a real caravan RT lol anyone seen them? i like them!!

real nice!!!

tsiconquest88
07-16-2011, 09:23 PM
heck yea!!

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

what does rt mean anyway? just sayin that instead of the reg turdo dodges they get really turdo too lol?

Vigo
07-18-2011, 01:42 AM
I dont remember seeing the boost gauge and now the pic link is broken.

Can you post a pic of the boost gauge?

bloodrose
07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/10/2011-dodge-grand-caravan-rt-chicago-2011/

Best said with "Power still comes from the automaker's 3.6-liter Pentastar V6"

I'll post a pic of the interior and boost gauge soon.

Vigo
07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
To be fair, there's nothing wrong with that motor. It would be nice if something was done to it.. Even without, though, it still has among the highest if not the highest HP in the minivan class.

In total, though, i dont see anything that makes me want the r/t more than i want a Sienna Sport.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I purchased the van. It's got some rattles here and there and there was a loud clunking on the right strut. Turned out a weld broke somewhere near the ball joint. I had my mechanic put a good weld on it and now the sound is gone. This was something the guy I bought it from failed to tell me about when I asked him if ANYTHING was wrong with the van. Unfortunately taking a one-way bus trip out there didn't give me much leverage to say no to him not willing to adjust the price. I also had to work at 4 am the next day so it was pretty crucial that I left shortly after I got out there. There are some common van interior panel rattles I'll have to get rid of and the oil leak was much greater than he described. The hood had a few small dents on it and there was a paint chip there that was poorly painted over with touch up paint as well as two or three very small rust bubbles starting on the front of the hood. There is also a crack in the paint just above the right rear wheel where some rust is starting up. Other wise the van is really rust free. The 5 speed swap was done really well by a previous owner and the boost gauge that he installed where the warning lights normally are looks like it was there from the factory. There also is a noise that I hear from time to time, sounds like it might be a transmission mount, need to get that looked at. Also I think the idler pulley for the A/C is going. So for $3995 and a 6 hour road trip back to Green Bay I have a van I've been trying to get a hold of for years.

Now, I want to try to find the person who did the conversion so I can ask him/her what else they did to it and whatever other history it has. If anyone can help me with this that would be great.

$4000, wow, gives me hope if I ever sell mine, :eyebrows:

Well feel free to start up your own project log and we'll help you any way we can, :thumb:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/10/2011-dodge-grand-caravan-rt-chicago-2011/

Best said with "Power still comes from the automaker's 3.6-liter Pentastar V6"

I'll post a pic of the interior and boost gauge soon.

Wow, in that link, some guy said, "there was an SRT Caravan a few years ago"? What an ultra maroon, :lol:

bloodrose
07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
To be fair, there's nothing wrong with that motor. It would be nice if something was done to it.. Even without, though, it still has among the highest if not the highest HP in the minivan class.

In total, though, i dont see anything that makes me want the r/t more than i want a Sienna Sport.

I agree, nothing wrong with the motor but to keep R/T tradition alive they should've tossed a supercharger or Hemi in the van and made it R/T worthy. If I recall right Chevy stopped using the SS name plate on some of their recent cars as they adapted SS to be more of a trim package over a performance package. Anything with SS on it now is more fitting to the badge.

bloodrose
07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Here are a few pictures I promised....ok I can't post pictures yet, guess I don't have a enough stuff on this site yet. They'll be up soon I guess.

Vigo
07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for trying. I'll be watching for them. :)

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree, nothing wrong with the motor but to keep R/T tradition alive they should've tossed a supercharger or Hemi in the van and made it R/T worthy. If I recall right Chevy stopped using the SS name plate on some of their recent cars as they adapted SS to be more of a trim package over a performance package. Anything with SS on it now is more fitting to the badge.

Agreed.

Here are a few pictures I promised....ok I can't post pictures yet, guess I don't have a enough stuff on this site yet. They'll be up soon I guess.

Use a hosting site, IE photobucket or sign up to TM for $10 a year.

bloodrose
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Here are some pictures

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14657653@N06/sets/72157627107988611/)

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Very clean underneath, :nod: Mine is the same but rotting on both 1/4's, going to get that cut out and repaired this winter, finally.

They even did the 5 speed swap right, it has the proper instrument cluster.

Its in very good shape, even your headliner. Now it needs lowering, get rid of those crappy blue shocks, :(

I was at the local PAP, found a van with the top of the line seats, different material and luckily in my colour, so I grabbed them, under $100 and the driver seat is now power, :partywoot: lol.

raccoon
07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
looks good, :thumb:

bloodrose
07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I was very impressed with the swap too, the person did a great job. Now what's the best way to go about lowering this thing? I'm kind of curious to know what the actual miles were on it, clearly as you noticed the instrument gauge isn't original unless covering up the PRD21 is a doable mod to one.

Hopefully this Summer/Fall I can get an intercooler on it and figure out how the person set up the boost control on there. If you notice those two switches just above the radio, the one on the right turns the engine fan on manually if wanted, the one on the left controls the boost from either from 7 psi max or 12 psi max. When it's on 7 it doesn't seem to build up the 7 psi as fast as it does when it's on 12 psi mode but it's an easy way to remind myself to drive slower.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I was very impressed with the swap too, the person did a great job. Now what's the best way to go about lowering this thing? I'm kind of curious to know what the actual miles were on it, clearly as you noticed the instrument gauge isn't original unless covering up the PRD21 is a doable mod to one.

Hopefully this Summer/Fall I can get an intercooler on it and figure out how the person set up the boost control on there. If you notice those two switches just above the radio, the one on the right turns the engine fan on manually if wanted, the one on the left controls the boost from either from 7 psi max or 12 psi max. When it's on 7 it doesn't seem to build up the 7 psi as fast as it does when it's on 12 psi mode but it's an easy way to remind myself to drive slower.

Go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/content.php?187-How-to-lower-an-S-Body-Minivan.

or you can add rear discs and also lower it this way with the above way or by itself-ACK, KC is being updated so have to wait until they are re-added.

This is my van with a 2.5 inch drop wtih 16" wheels running 225/55R16 tires-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Canoncamerapics318.jpg

Vigo
07-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Nice looking van for sure. Ive been wanting to do the same thing for the boost gauge in my van but never got around to it.. now i know its a good idea! :)

My factory 5spd van shifter is actually centered between the two seats. I see that the swapper moved yours a little to the left. Probably not a bad thing as 5th does seem far away when i get into my van after being out of it for a long time.

I think my interior is in a little better shape but your paint job makes me jealous!

As for lowering, car struts/springs in the front is the standard, super easy approach. There have been 5 different methods to lower the back that i know of:

Remove a leaf, de-arch the leafs, make lowering blocks (spring under axle swap), relocate spring shackles, and swap in an AWD rear axle.

Im the only person i know who has done the AWD axle swap but it gives you ~3" of drop while maintaining stock suspension travel and ride quality. Here's a link: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?58102-Awd-Boosted-5spd-Hybrid-Gas-Electric-1990-Caravan&p=797574&viewfull=1#post797574

About halfway down the post.

Here's a pic of mine with the AWD rear axle on stock leafs, and the stock springs/struts from my Spirit on the front. Looks about 3" lower than yours.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03816Large.jpg

bloodrose
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks, I'll add that to my to-do list :)

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
The only issue's I have with the AWD swap is weight, bolt pattern is larger so you need wheel spacers if you want to keep the 5x100 on the front and you can't easily swap to disc if that's your bag, :p

Vigo
07-20-2011, 01:02 AM
97-up AWD vans got rear disc, but were still 5x114.3 (good catch, i forgot to mention that) and i cant specifically confirm that they will swap right in like the one i swapped. However, i cant imagine feeling the need to upgrade to discs over the giant drums my AWD axle has.

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2011, 02:16 AM
97-up AWD vans got rear disc, but were still 5x114.3 (good catch, i forgot to mention that) and i cant specifically confirm that they will swap right in like the one i swapped. However, i cant imagine feeling the need to upgrade to discs over the giant drums my AWD axle has.

Hmmmmm, if that disc setup bolts on, that would be cool. You can get bolt on adapters for the bolt pattern but again, that's more cost, :p. I hate drums with a passion, no matter how big they are.

Johnny
07-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Looks pretty good!

moparman76_69
07-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Hmmmmm, if that disc setup bolts on, that would be cool. You can get bolt on adapters for the bolt pattern but again, that's more cost, :p. I hate drums with a passion, no matter how big they are.

Do you mean the whole axle or using the discs on the stock axle? The AWD brake stuff is completely different and will not bolt up to anything other than an AWD axle. The rear hubs on the 91-95 AWD axle have a bolt flange similar to an 8 3/4 chrysler rear end. I'm trying to find a jeep with an 8.25 with rear disc to see if that setup will work for me.

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Do you mean the whole axle or using the discs on the stock axle? The AWD brake stuff is completely different and will not bolt up to anything other than an AWD axle. The rear hubs on the 91-95 AWD axle have a bolt flange similar to an 8 3/4 chrysler rear end. I'm trying to find a jeep with an 8.25 with rear disc to see if that setup will work for me.

Vigo mentioned that the rear discs on later vans could fit, so that's what I mentioned, that it would be a neat add on if the later discs bolt on with little fab work.