PDA

View Full Version : 41TE Solenoid Box Question

ShadowBrad
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a 2002 Dodge Neon with the 41TE. The gasket between the front solenoid box and the transmission case was leaking. I replaced the gasket and I am still leaking transmission fluid. I think that the fluid is coming from between the thin metal plate and the plastic spacer on the front of the solenoid box. What I was wondering is if somebody had a FSM with an exploded view of that box. Also I was wondering what the torque rating is for the 3 bolts that hold the box to the transmission and if there is any special tightening sequence.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

RattFink
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I had the EXACT same problem with my 99 Dodge Stratus. Leak from front of trans, thought it was solenoid pack. Installed new solenoid pack and gasket and the leak was still there. Turns out the trans cooler line that comes out right above the solenoid pack was leaking. Tightened the hose clamp and the leak stopped!!!!

turbovanmanČ
04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Check the cooler lines, right above it. IF they aren't leaking, you have to replace the solenoid box, common issue with them leaking and you can't repair them. I just tighten them up snugly.

ShadowBrad
04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. When I replaced the gasket between the box and the transmission I had to remove the cooler lines. When I first noticed it was leaking again, I pulled the air box off and started the car and noticed it seeping around one of the lines. I removed the factory spring clamps and put fuel injection clamps on them and that stopped the leak from the lines but I still had a small leak. It does get worse when driving, I would assume since there is more line pressure and fluid flow when the trans has a load on it. The leak is almost nonexistent when idling in park, but idling in Drive or Reverse with somebody holding the brakes causes it to leak faster. I wanted to make sure I knew exactly where the fluid was coming from so I washed the front of the transmission down with dish washing liquid and hot water in one of those pesticide sprayer type things then blew the water off with the air hose.

Thanks for the help guys. Guess it's time to go tear it back apart and explain to my mother-in-law why she needs to shell out some more money for her car. Haha. She can't really complain though, due to the leak, she got the car for $450 dollars. So this kinda work was expected.

-Brad

black86glhs
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Replace the solenoid pack and it will be fine. I always do the gasket and sol. pack at the same time just so this doesn't happen. Been there and burnt by it before.

ShadowBrad
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
That's the plan. Ordered the solenoid box today. Should have it tomorrow morning.

22mopar
05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
105 in. lbs is the torque spec. I've rarely ever seen a solenoid pack leak or the gasket (yes I have only a couple times in many years of working on these transmissions) but the cooler lines, that's a real common leak spot.

black86glhs
05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree the cooler lines is more common, but I have done more solenoid/gasket replacements over the past 15 yrs than i can remember. It is more common on the older ones. The gaskets were improved.

ShadowBrad
05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
I just ended up replacing the whole box as the box itself was leaking. Problem solved. =)

-brad