PDA

View Full Version : '89 K-member vs. '86

Anonymous_User
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Would there be any benefit in using the K-member and a-arms out of an '89 CS Daytona in my '86 Z?

BIGBRUDDA
07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Transplant the whole front end,cross,brakes & all.:nod: Make sure ya got good bushings and bearings though:D . I'm not sure about the proportioning block, and master cyl, better ask an "expert".:thumb:

Anonymous_User
07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Transplant the whole front end

Why? I don't want to just do the swap, I want to know WHY I'm doing the swap.

capev86
07-11-2006, 03:24 PM
lets see...

89 cars had the stamped dual pivot k-frame setup (better suspension geometry)

89 c/s (AGS) car should have 11" brakes, bigger m/c, rear disc, yadda yadda yadda. if your 86 z is not a cs package car, and that 89 has all the bad boy stuff, then swap everything out including the sway bar, springs and rear axle!!!

GLHNSLHT2
07-11-2006, 08:25 PM
The Kmember is beefier which makes the car much more solid up front. The car sits lower because the dual pivots allow more weight on the springs. Also is less shock to the car when hitting bumbs. I upgraded in the beginning of last year. Much nicer ride. The only issue I'm having now might be bushing related. The car likes to walk and have a lot of slip angle when turning. I should have a solution within the next month that will make this setup totally rock. I hear that Energy suspension makes a Poly bushing kit for the 89/90 arms now. I have yet to see them or see any proof that they do but I'm gonna look into it as well. The ES bushings aren't my solution though. I want something with ZERO give other than the up and down motion they're supposed to have.

TylerEss
07-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Why not Johnny Spiva's Rockin'-@$$ bushings? They're kinda pricey, but they can't be beat!

Jack's Dodge
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Ordered Johnny's control arm bushings for my 90 k-frame. Have his bushings on my 86 Z, and they made a world of difference. HIs products are worth their weight in gold, when it comes to creating stability in a TD. The rear axle to frame bushings combined with the control arm bushings will make your car a joy to drive, and really gives you a feeling of control. Cannto wait to get his sway bars on my k-wagon.

Anonymous_User
07-13-2006, 05:20 AM
Where do I find this kick axx Johnny's parts?

R/T
07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
We put an 89 4 piviot K in my Son's 88 Lancer Shelby, with the Energy Suspension poly bushings - yes there is a kit for '89's.

Handles, SWEET, waaay better than my 89 GTS with the rubber bushes.

The 4 piviot is newer / better than the 2 piviot.

GLHNSLHT2
07-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Ordered Johnny's control arm bushings for my 90 k-frame. Have his bushings on my 86 Z, and they made a world of difference. HIs products are worth their weight in gold, when it comes to creating stability in a TD. The rear axle to frame bushings combined with the control arm bushings will make your car a joy to drive, and really gives you a feeling of control. Cannto wait to get his sway bars on my k-wagon.

His 84-88 bushings are made by energy suspension. Did you get the "stiff" rear axle bushings? Cause his soft ones are softer than stock ShelbyZ rear bushings. Good luck with the sway bars. With Koni's and Eibachs his sway bars hit my 90 control arms when the car is sitting still. A bump would be scary. We even went so far to try a 91+ sway bar of his. It fit but didn't test it with any weight on it. We should have. On the 6 hour drive home it rubbed the rim and the tire's sidewall! Thank god it didn't blow the tire at 75+. Give me a month or so and I'll have my modifcation to the stock large sway bar (same size as Johnny's) done.

R/T, Do you have any pics of the ES pieces?? They were real poly and hard like the early stub strut kits?? I have a friend getting some and can't wait to see them.

Jack's Dodge
07-15-2006, 01:53 PM
His 84-88 bushings are made by energy suspension. Did you get the "stiff" rear axle bushings? Cause his soft ones are softer than stock ShelbyZ rear bushings. Good luck with the sway bars. With Koni's and Eibachs his sway bars hit my 90 control arms when the car is sitting still. A bump would be scary. We even went so far to try a 91+ sway bar of his. It fit but didn't test it with any weight on it. We should have. On the 6 hour drive home it rubbed the rim and the tire's sidewall! Thank god it didn't blow the tire at 75+. Give me a month or so and I'll have my modifcation to the stock large sway bar (same size as Johnny's) done.

R/T, Do you have any pics of the ES pieces?? They were real poly and hard like the early stub strut kits?? I have a friend getting some and can't wait to see them.
My bushings are pretty stiff, and made a huge impoevment to my handling. I am concerned about the sway bars now. I have a 90 k-frame and 1 1/4 sway bar.perhaps I'll drill a hole in the end and make endlinks. I am definity want the PB rear sway bar along with the stock piece.

turbovanmanČ
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Where do I find this kick axx Johnny's parts?

www.polybushings.com