PDA

View Full Version : 2011 3.0 Race Season

Ondonti
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I got put on day shift temporarily for job shadowing and it looks like I may luck out and get to stay, even though the only other person from my training class getting to stay has 23 years experience and is a rehire from layoff. Whats funny is that 2 weeks ago I thought I got screwed with where I got sent after training.

I just got the Duster started up and running n/a with stock heads and cams and megasquirt. Tune is messed up in the low rpms because its expecting cams but feels nice. No insurance or plates at the moment, still needs a rear window. It was running just fine but I wanted the stock good cylinder heads it had for my Daily for long term use. The Duster has its own dedicated cylinder heads that are still being overhauled so I just swapped heads. Now the Spirit gets mechanical rockers and a 278 cam.

I would love to make some passes in her :love:
Even with a leaking exhaust valve I think she might be able to 13.99 n/a :D Gotta dream :P
She probably wants a cam so she can rev but she will have to wait for the good heads to get done with mechanical rockers and a nasty profile. She may be waiting a long time :P
Tune is messed up in the lower rpms because the cams are now Diamantes but I have to reinstall all the software to my laptop.

Having a feeling that the Spirit might be boring cause it won't have any tuning ability, just a Holset. Not sure how she will perform. I want to start at only 1psi boost for driving around but I don't think I want to race with anything less then 5.

Praying to stay on day shift!

I gotta remind ya'll, Sea Level for me :) so n/a can be fun again. Ain't seen anyone racing their 3.0's for way too long.

Kreel
04-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Good to hear you might get some passes in this year :nod: I, on the other hand, still need to wait another month for the track to open :mad:

RoadWarrior222
04-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Might get my van out to an OSDAC track meet this summer, I'll be stoked if it's in the 17s atm :D

nmw2006
07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Took my (now stock, except for 6610 springs and alum. flywheel/6-puck ceramic & DD PP) Spirit out to an autocross a few weeks back. First time I've done any road-course style racing, and i have to say it was a blast. A friend (Shadow24v) took some videos that i will have to find, but he said i was lifting the rear tire under hard brake & turn. :clap:

Started the course in 1st gear, then stayed in 2nd the rest of the way revving from 1500-2000 rpms to redline (6200). Hit the limiter a couple of times. I dropped the tire pressure due to intense wheelspin coming out of corners :evil: but ended up rolling the tires over onto the sidewall after that.

Improved my lap times from 54.xxx seconds to 48.xxx after a few passes, so i feel good. Other cars (different classes/modifications) were running from the high 50's to 40 flat, so i felt pretty good about my times.

All in all it was a good day and got to hang out with a whole bunch of car guys. Shadow24v ran in a '86 RX7 along with his wife and her dad. I'm definitely wanting to go do it again. :love:

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

From the looks of this thread not many others have had the chance to play around with our 3.0s. I hope some of you have got the chance to play around in some form or another :D

Kreel
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I've been dying to take my van to the track. It seems like I keep get hurdle after hurdle thrown in the way. In any case, my cams are the final part I need before I can put everything back together so here's hoping to start that next week-end! :D

Ondonti
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Eh, so many problems with parts that I couldn't even consider trying to get to avoid work to get to the track. Trying to avoid the temptation to race that can be so strong that you race something you know is not in race tune. If I got a new window for my duster I could at least race that n/a. I may just pay a plastics shop to cut a window out of overpriced material cause I don't have the time to figure it all out. That or I need to order a sheet of grey lexan and just get it done. They want SO much money for their lexan.

BTW, I think my cams would do terribly at autox unless they managed to be boggy enough at low rpms to stop wheelspin without slowing the car down. I don't think shifting to 1st gear is a good option.

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Home depot here didn't seem too horrible on lexan sheets they had.

Sundance 6g72
07-11-2011, 04:37 PM
i might take my duster to the track sometime to get a good idea of what gains ill have when im boosted. I want MS tuned first...... im getting back into working on the car so hopefully i can get that done soon.

Ondonti
07-12-2011, 03:41 AM
I am using solar grey poly this time around. I want to obfuscate the rear of the car. I think I have already talked myself into paying to get it cut. Thing that sucks is that in Utah Umbass/Corby knows someone who does it super cheap for tinted, here, no hookups. Doing solar grey at just above legal tint so i can avoid the po po

Vigo
07-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Maybe i will race my 5spd 3.0 dynasty. I definitely DONT want to autoX it without more mods, it handles like dog ---- the way it is. Id like to do a 2g neon front strut swap on it and put on a bigger swaybar (stock is TINY). The neon struts really made a major improvement on my spirit and that thing now handles very neutrally. My other dynasty handles better with all its mods but it's not 3.0.

So maybe i will just drag race. It is cheaper to drag race than to make the dynasty handle! :p

Ondonti
07-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Last I heard, you only race 3000 miles away, or watch your buddies truck.

Vigo
07-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Well between me and my friends we have so many cars needing so much work that are usually working on them in our free time instead of racing them..

Between me and my two closest buddies who all work together on car projects.. we have 24 cars. :confused: Most of them need a lot of work. :lol:

And we do get a lot of racing done on the long, empty road to the power plant that is ~2 miles from where we build the cars. :eyebrows:

RoadWarrior222
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Doing solar grey at just above legal tint so i can avoid the po po With their Raybans on everything looks illegal :D