PDA

View Full Version : Total loss of battery power after attempt to start. Stays that way until batt d/c& rc

lebaron dude
04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
On my '87 (power module + logic module) TBI LeBaron, I ran into a strange issue.

Initially, the engine would turn over but wouldn't catch (it was running fine the day before) I popped open the hood and everything looked like it was connected OK.

I put the key in the ON position, and rechecked under the hood and a few seconds later the radiator fan turned on. I thought this was strange because the engine was cold (the car hadn't been started in a day). I know the coolant-temperature sensor plug/wiring is old (and when the coolant-temperature sensor is disconnected the fan runs continuously) so I may check that out, but then the strangeness happened...

I turned the key briefly to the start position and was greeted with a click and then all the power went away. No door lights, no dash lights, no nothing.

I turned the key off and still no power what so ever in the car. Turned the key to the 'on' position, still nothing.

I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it. 'Ding ding ding' (door chime is letting me know that my key is in the ignition switch) and the door lights, dome light is working.

Turn key to start, all power goes away. Turn the key to off and still no power inside car (lights are off, etc). Turned the key back to on, nothing. Back to start, nothing.

Another disconnect of the battery, then a reconnect and the door chime starts ringing again.

So my best guess is that a transistor in the power module is shorted but only activated once you try to start?

Anyone else have this problem or think of a place to investigate? I have a power module on order but I don't want to drop it in and fry it, if there is something in the system that caused this (outside of old age... it's the original 87 power module).

I also swapped batteries from my turbo car and get the same behavior. I also didn't see or smell any magic smoke near the power-module when it first happened but... maybe it fried under the potting material.

Thanks if anyone can offer some insight.

RoadWarrior222
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Grounds

bakes
04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Clean batt terminals?

RoadWarrior222
04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
That too.

lebaron dude
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
good thought, but the battery terminals are clean. and the battery i swapped in is only a few months old, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

when you say grounds, are you thinking the ground to the starter? or the ground to the power module? What's your reasoning behind the bad ground? Just curious.

bakes
04-20-2011, 07:25 PM
good thought, but the battery terminals are clean. and the battery i swapped in is only a few months old, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

when you say grounds, are you thinking the ground to the starter? or the ground to the power module? What's your reasoning behind the bad ground? Just curious.

Are you saying you cleaned them or they look clean enough that they should work??? i know a coulpe of people got stung by this and they tought it look clean!!!

83Shelby
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I ran into this on my CSX-T last summer,the fan would come on and the relays would click constantly when the key was in the on position.I re-did every ground,tried new HEPs,new relays,etc,etc....Turned out to be the computer.If you can get access to a different on,try it!

supercrackerbox
04-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Definately check the grounds and make sure the battery terminals are clean, and then check your fusible links.

Orangetona
04-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I had a bad battery terminal that was intermittent. It was a PITA sometimes for it to start it.

Connect, ding ding, try to start, nothing. rinse repeat, after like 10 tries it would start.

Thats what my money is on.

RoadWarrior222
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
It's not really a waste of time to redo all the grounds, since "zero ohm" grounds and terminals are worth as much as 5HP and 2mpg over just barely functioning ones.

onerippinturbo2
04-28-2011, 03:58 PM
i agree, clean the grounds and batt terminals.

zshadow
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Grounds

Definately check the grounds and make sure the battery terminals are clean, and then check your fusible links.

I've had the same problem. check grounds, check your HEP, clean battery terms, and check the fuses.

Mine ended up being one of the plugs running from the alternator was disconnected.