PDA

View Full Version : Me racing a Turbo Dodge Omni at Global Rallycross on ESPN3 check it out

glhs399
04-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I was competing in a 79 Omni at the Global Rallycross Championship this weekend. Day one was a Super Rally event and day two was a Rallycross. I bought this thing a few weeks ago and it was a mad thrash to get it together.

The Super Rally on Friday went well, I missed the practice in the morning due to a discrepancy with the tech inspector. I was taking it easy learning how to drive this thing. It has a different brakes setup and different suspension that I have never driven on. I was only running a T1 stock setup with 7 PSI on Friday. I ended up in the Quarter final but lost to my co-worker who is one of the fastest 2wd stage rally driver in the USA.

I had a few problems with the car and my driving on Saturday, Boost was increased to 9 PSI. I broke two CV's on the drivers side axle, rolled the car and then slammed the drivers rear wheel into a concrete barrier exiting the warehouse. I was finally figuring out how to get the car to rotate how I wanted. I was really struggling with the two 90 degree turns on tarmac. The handbrake was crap and I had to use it while braking to get the car to rotate at all. It was a blast and if this stick around I'm going to do everything I can to do compete in more of these events. I think a SRT-4 would be an ideal platform for the 2wd class.

You can watch it on ESPN3 on the internet if your internet service provider has paid to let you watch it, or you can watch it on your xbox if you have it hooked up to the internet. The show will be on ESPN2 on May 14th

Super Rally
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/auto%20racing#
2wd Starts at: 00:43:00
My race starts at: 01:02:40

Rallycross
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/auto%20racing#
My race stars at: 00:31:38
My roll is at : 1:05:24

Who wants to help me make it to Colorado on June 17-18? Turbo-Mopar FTW!
Enjoy!

forcedfedmopar
04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Thats awsome! dont give up on her! good job!

shackwrrr
04-17-2011, 11:01 PM
AWESOME. My shadow is destined to be my Rallycross racer. Its nice to see someone else doing it.

Spycker
04-17-2011, 11:17 PM
you shouldve kicked the CRX driver in the face. LOL jk

GLHNSLHT2
04-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I think the 911 would still be a far superior car than a SRT4. Only because once you hit the gas all that weight plants on the drive wheels.

black86glhs
04-18-2011, 01:50 AM
That looks Hellafun!!!! I wish they had something like that around here.

Vigo
04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Somebody should rip the vids and host em on youtube. I cant see em.

shackwrrr
04-18-2011, 06:29 AM
I think the 911 would still be a far superior car than a SRT4. Only because once you hit the gas all that weight plants on the drive wheels.

An interesting fact, FWD usually dominates the 2wd class and sometimes will even beat AWD cars.

moparman76_69
04-18-2011, 07:44 AM
That CRX must have had a bit done to it, seemed like it had more power than most other 2wd cars I saw. I didn't watch the whole broadcast though. Looks like fun, too bad its all west coast looks like.

plymouth
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Mother of god I want to do that!

Force Fed Mopar
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Looks like great fun!

omni_840
04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Awesome vid! Too bad you didn't get that CRX

plymouth
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Watched the videos and I am feeling the need to put my omni on its roof...Thanks for that.:yuck:

Force Fed Mopar
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Looks like it wouldn't turn like you wanted? Lot of oversteer it seemed. Were you pulling the e-brake or no? Didn't look like it.

RoadWarrior222
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM

An interesting fact, FWD usually dominates the 2wd class and sometimes will even beat AWD cars.
Yes all the weight plants the rear wheels, leaving no grip to steer the thing on a loose surface. They have done well in tarmac rallies, loose surface they tend to lose.

glhs399
04-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Watched the videos and I am feeling the need to put my omni on its roof...Thanks for that.:yuck:

Please no! This one had already been rolled once before! On Friday I nicked the same tire that I rolled on, I thought I was in the same spot as then but as you can see I was obviously not!

Looks like it wouldn't turn like you wanted? Lot of oversteer it seemed. Were you pulling the e-brake or no? Didn't look like it.

It was oversteering a lot but I was on gravel rally tires and these things don't grip very well on tarmac. On the gravel I was inducing oversteer with left foot braking. On the last heat that they showed I slid the drivers rear into the concrete barrier exiting the building, this bent my rear axle and gave that side a lot of positive camber. It made the rear of the car very twitchy, On the next lap I proceeded to brake a drivers side cv and had to limp it to the finish.

I was struggling on the two tarmac hairpins on Friday and early on Saturday, my handbrake was not working even though it was adjusted properly. I finally figured out that I had to hug the left wall jab the foot brake to slow down, jab it again to get the car to rotate and while braking use the handbrake it get it to rotate more. I lost a lot of time in this section. No big deal I had a blast! This was my first time driving this Omni and I have never had one with non power brakes and this kind of suspension setup. I'll start a build thread this week so you guys know whats done to the car and the story.

plymouth
04-20-2011, 12:26 AM
What suspension setup are you using?
Edit: Honda coil-overs are fail on dirt if you where wondering:yuck:

glhs399
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Running DMS coilovers.

plymouth
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Stock struts?

moparman76_69
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
were you running super 2wd or limited?

Force Fed Mopar
04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Running DMS coilovers.

Link? Or did you mean DSM? :)

RoadWarrior222
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I was struggling on the two tarmac hairpins on Friday and early on Saturday, my handbrake was not working even though it was adjusted properly. I finally figured out that I had to hug the left wall jab the foot brake to slow down, jab it again to get the car to rotate and while braking use the handbrake it get it to rotate more. I lost a lot of time in this section. No big deal I had a blast! This was my first time driving this Omni and I have never had one with non power brakes and this kind of suspension setup. I'll start a build thread this week so you guys know whats done to the car and the story.

Sometimes there's just no approaching a hairpin gently, you need a hair raising amount of momentum to chuck it right round, so you come in faster than you'd take a tight 90, and just flick it in like you're TRYING to roll it..... but then you have to catch your own pitch so to speak and steer out power on, or you will roll it, or flick it round more than 180.... lot of fast wheel work.

Edit: btw I learned this coming down a mountain with my brakes on fire, good job I'm a quick learner :D

glhs399
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
were you running super 2wd or limited?

There was only one 2wd class for this event, next year it might be different if more cars show up.

Stock struts?

Nope full DMS suspension off of a JDM Pulsar. 50mm beefy stuff. Here is the link

http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/#/home

I have Subaru strut top for the front and then I'm using stock Omni fronts in the rear with two additional studs on the strut tops.

I'll get a build thread up this week.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Edit: Honda coil-overs are fail on dirt if you where wondering:yuck: Yeah Cody is running on ground control coil over sleeves with kyb agx. He has no budget for proper stuff. They have been on the car four years and have seen a lot of stage rally miles. He really could use a better setup, but it hasn't broke yet!

moparman76_69
04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
There was only one 2wd class for this event, next year it might be different if more cars show up.

That would explain why some cars seemed to be more powerful, i looked at the rule book, super looks pretty open. Run what you brung kinda.

plymouth
04-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Awesome info:thumb: I look forward to reading that build thread.

That would explain why some cars seemed to be more powerful, i looked at the rule book, super looks pretty open. Run what you brung kinda.
You didnt happen to see if you could 2WD the van did you?

moparman76_69
04-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Awesome info:thumb: I look forward to reading that build thread.

You didnt happen to see if you could 2WD the van did you?

Well it didn't say I couldn't afaik.