PDA

View Full Version : pressure regulator blues

ottawa rogue
07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
where is it located exactly? i don't have my ATSG manual yet, and don't have a really good exploded view. is this the valve in the end of the V/B that everyone puts a heavier spring in? or is it in the governor assembly?

the reason i ask is that i don't want to explode another clutch drum, and i've been told that this stuck and caused it to explode:mad:
when i tore the trans apart, i noticed that both pistons in the governor were stuck in their bores hard enough that i had to tap them back in pretty hard to get them freed up, so i'm going to buy a new governor.
i haven't torn the V/B apart yet, but if this valve in the v/b is stuck like that, am i going to need a new valve body also?
Simon, do you have an answer? it seems like you've been doing some work in this area over the last year or so.
thanks
Bryan

Stevien1
07-09-2006, 07:30 PM
where is it located exactly? i don't have my ATSG manual yet, and don't have a really good exploded view. is this the valve in the end of the V/B that everyone puts a heavier spring in?

Yes, it's in the valve body. It's the one with the hex screw adjuster.

i haven't torn the V/B apart yet, but if this valve in the v/b is stuck like that, am i going to need a new valve body also?

If it stuck, then I'd replace the valve body. That usually means the bore has opened up enough to allow a piece of crap to wedge itself between the valve and the bore. If you put a monster spring in it (or used a spacer on the stock spring), then you should've checked line pressure before it broke! ;)

ottawa rogue
07-09-2006, 07:37 PM
ok, thanks dude! this car is a bone stock '86 t1 with a stock transmission,
i haven't tweaked anything yet. i'm just wanting to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Frank had mentioned the stuck reg idea, and a transmission guy i work with backed that assesment up. Man this sucker is getting expensive....and i really don't want a RMVB as this is a daily driver.
looks like it's time to pull the valve body apart:mad:

ottawa rogue
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
here's what i'm trying to prevent from happeneing again
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/68torino/transmissioncarnage005.jpg

ottawa rogue
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
i took the valve body apart this morning, and its trashed:mad: :mad: :mad:
the pressure regulator piston was siezed in it's bore, and the piston itself is pretty scored:banghead:
do i need a turbo specific valve body?
that 5 speed swap is looking better and better all the time

Frank
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
No. I have a stock VB sitting at my house, however you could always upgrade the drums and put a Cheeta RMVB in. As for the stock VB, you pay for the shipping, take a good look at it, etc. If it looks like it will work, aka no stuck pistons, etc, then just send me some more money.

Frank

ottawa rogue
07-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Ok Frank, i'll keep that in mind. the guy that gave me the neon trans told me today that he's got a bunch of 413 parts that he's gonna bring into work for me tomorrow. including a valve body.
hopefully it won't be a lockup