PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Toyota Altezza with 3sge

J&H Ryan
04-16-2011, 03:45 PM
So my buddy in England, imports his car from Japan (Air Force) and with 2 months of it getting over there, it gets a horrific knock. Pulls the pan and windage, has some side to side play rods to crank, and one rod has significant play, can twist clockwise and counter, enough to make noise by hand. Bearings don't have significant wear.

The car has been turboed, runs 14psi I think he said on stock compression, so stressors are there. My thought was that he elongated the rod caps. He has no way to confirm this (only calipers and I figure they wont cut it, need a bore gauge and a micrometer). Rod bolts (my first thought before he pulled engine) are fine (no gaps between caps and rod)

Thoughts? (an engine is an engine, no matter what its in I figure)

dodgeshadowchik
04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
What kind of thoughts are you looking for? Just a "what went wrong?" type thing or a "what should he do?"

Taking measurements of the parts will probably answer the question, as long as you have some stock specs to compare them to.

When I first read this, I thought "crankwalk!" LOL...

Definatly sounds like it's going to need a rebuild. Hopefully there is a US-market equivalent to make it easier to deal with.

RoadWarrior222
04-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd say check the cylinders for coolant entry, can stretch stuff by hydro-lock....

... but whatever did it, I'd call the rods, caps, wristpins all toast, have the pistons and crank checked, head magnafluxed for cracks and put it all back together again...

1966 dart wagon
04-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Bummer on the motor I'd say its junk and replace it with another one

I saw the thread title and went oh dang JDM y0!

RoadWarrior222
04-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Just a thought, the Premium brand high octanes in Japan are 100 (R+M/2) Octane.. high or super in UK used to only be 98 RON, so wonder if it was tuned to the Japanese 100 and didn't like the UK 98, or worse, 96 regular.

J&H Ryan
04-16-2011, 10:48 PM
DSC: Well, I'm not an engine builder by trade, some people on here are, so I figured they may have some ideas to narrow the issue down before he just goes and rebuilds it or buys a used motor. Apparently to forge internal it out like he wants is going to run $6000, which to me seems nuts, but I guess thats the cost of those things. Its like a Lexus IS300 or 350 here.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I saw the thread title and went oh dang JDM y0!
LOL

rr

black86glhs
04-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Toyota motors suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

A similar type of things happen to the older 3.5 L6 diesel mercedes engine. #1 cylinder HG leaks after some miles and it causes the cylinders to go egg shape. It also kills the rods.