PDA

View Full Version : MegaSquirt closed loop idle

glhs0426
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Has anyone successfully used closed loop idle on an 8valve car? I'm tuning my 2.2 TII setup running the MS2Extra code for the 2.2/2.5 turbo distributor and could use a little direction.

wallace
04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Sorry I don't have any insight on the closed loop idle, but wanted to pick your brain a bit. Does the Extra code work well with the stock dual HEP sensors? I've got MSII for my Horizon and I think I'm going to use the stock HEP's for crank/cam. Are you running sequential fuel?

glhs0426
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I did not wire the MS2 for sequential, nor COP. It was my first step into this and I did sooo much stuff it made my head hurt. (second HEP, fan control, boost control, tach) Had to figure out a jumper harness for this car since it's just an experiment until the Lebaron gets road worthy. It does have COP on the engine operating as Wasted Spark.

I can tell you the Extra code works great. The car was having very random reset like symtoms, however, it turned out that my bad habit of running a very loose timing belt was the culprit. The rpm would spike down to 0 then ASE would come on, rpm would flare if at idle, etc. Ran the tooth logger and composite logger only to find that the rpm would go to 0. The timing belt was tensioned properly and the issue vaporized.

crusty shadow
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
the closed loop worked perfectly for me when i finally got the settings correct.
the extra code beta and alpha as well as msIII have code to work with the dual hep distributor. its considerably more accurate than modifying an N/A distributor to work. its also the only way you can use many of the features ms offers like sequential /semi sequential injection, cop, wasted spark etc. its faster and easier to build a second hep circuit than it is to modify the N/A distributor. that an it starts easier idles smoother and i had fewer issues with resets noise etc. i would occasionally experience a reset before, and with dual hep i never had one.
besides it'll let you do crazy stuff like use 4 N/A coils for cop ignition.

glhs0426
04-14-2011, 10:12 PM
the closed loop worked perfectly for me when i finally got the settings correct.
the extra code beta and alpha as well as msIII have code to work with the dual hep distributor. its considerably more accurate than modifying an N/A distributor to work. its also the only way you can use many of the features ms offers like sequential /semi sequential injection, cop, wasted spark etc. its faster and easier to build a second hep circuit than it is to modify the N/A distributor. that an it starts easier idles smoother and i had fewer issues with resets noise etc. i would occasionally experience a reset before, and with dual hep i never had one.
besides it'll let you do crazy stuff like use 4 N/A coils for cop ignition.

Would you mind sharing your msq?

wallace
04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
How much total timing are you guys running under boost and what boost level? Either of you have a stock timing map for 2.5L with 782 head? I've got a timing map that guidsm posted on here but it's for older version of MS and I can't get it to load correctly with the Extra.

glhs0426
04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
How much total timing are you guys running under boost and what boost level? Either of you have a stock timing map for 2.5L with 782 head? I've got a timing map that guidsm posted on here but it's for older version of MS and I can't get it to load correctly with the Extra.

I started with the VE and timing maps from BoostJunkie (2.0L), the map from DOHCRocks (2.4L) looks good also. I leaned towards a 2.0 map to start from as it wants a lot of lead like a 2.2. You may want to use a 2.4 map from the start since you have the 2.5. Tune out of boost for a while till you get the hang of it, then, SLOWLY bring in the boost to tune. I use the guidsm map as a guide for max timing under boost. One thing I noticed about the guidsm map is that I could not view it properly, but after I actually loaded it in TunerStudio the numbers actually made since.

Symtechlabs hosts many good base maps from 2.0/2.4 setups.

crusty shadow
04-15-2011, 01:26 PM
i'll see if i can get my old comp to fire up and i'll post it here. i got most of the settings from neons.org, theres a lot of them using megasquirt. i believe the name of the thread was pid bible or somthing of that nature. i had all the setting written down somewhere. i found out its a good idea to back up all your settings with pencil and paper on the off chance that your files become corrupted.
i also used the timing curves guidsm posted, also had issues importing the file so i just entered in the values manually.

R/Tony
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Open the MSQ from guidsm in a side session of Megatune and once you can read all the settings see the Main Ignition Advance Table and save it as .vex .... well you can either save it as .vex in the Megatune or save an screenshot of it and write it in your own MSQ file.

Should be easy, actually I have used the tables from guidsm and they are really great and reliable.

Tony.