PDA

View Full Version : TC Masi Ex Manifold Upgrade

2.216VTurbo
07-09-2006, 01:49 PM
So this TC project of mine just keeps snowballing... What started as a tranny swap from the 284 and head freshening up has eight+ months later, taken on a life of it's own:o So much for having the car ready for my summer cruiser:( After upgrading the head with larger valves and fabbing a big I/C, I couldn't in good conscience just bolt that teeny little IHI turbo back on that the DOHC cars came with:yuck: Some credit is do to IHI though, even though it's too small, some features are better than Garrett's design. The exhaust housing is very well formed with a more 'gradual' scroll design for lack of a better description. I didn't take the time to flow it but I suspect it can really move some exhaust even considering it's small size. The compressor side is the real bottleneck. The swingvalve assembly is also less squared off compared to Garrett and we all know how much a custom or an improved 3" swingvalve helps out on a motor with upgraded head/turbo:thumb: Also the exit area of the wastegate hole doesn't have that 'crash' area of turbulence like the Garrett. Again, no flow tests but just looking at at and understanding a thing or two about airflow...

You can see the tiny size of the stock TC manifold outlet/turbo inlet on the unmodded manifold. Even so the stock manifold flow some pretty impressive numbers:thumb: The modified manifold flows that-plus roughly another 25%:evil: There are some numbers here as the flanged manifold represents many porting hours and at least six flowbench hours. The numbers are not mine so I can't release them-yet:o

You can also see that the IHI is clocked on the SV assy at a totally different angle than the Garrett so at the very least I need to fab up a new SV/downpipe. With the Garrett hanging on there the outlet points forward to the axle istead of back to the exhaust system. More work to do... I'd like to try a divorced wastegate/downpipe assembly or at least one that is separated for the first 6"or so.

2.216VTurbo
07-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Couple more

:o Sigh, the TC has been sitting in this spot for way too long...:o

tryingbe
07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Very nice work.

But why stop at stock TII turbo? At this point, you might as well put a S60 or better in there.

cordes
07-09-2006, 02:38 PM
That is a lot of work that you have done there. I can really appreciate the effort that you must have put in to that. Very nice.

inmyshadow
07-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Or even an IHI turbo upgrade?

Very nice work.

But why stop at stock TII turbo? At this point, you might as well put a S60 or better in there.

2.216VTurbo
07-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Very nice work.

Yeah, upgrade planned;) The Garrett is just a J-yard mock up piece:)

2.216VTurbo
07-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Or even an IHI turbo upgrade?

Yeah a couple guys that I know of have upgraded the IHI. One sent his all the way to Canada, waited 4 months, then paid like $650. for a compressor only upgrade. No thanks to that. AQuack upgraded his from what I understood but I never heard what the specs were, maybe the new owner of his old 86 Masi S car will join in here and elaborate??

The turbo shop I had play with my IHI for a month or so tried to upgrade it. It's already the largest wheel package available with that frame:confused: When they tried to do some custom stuff something about a strange offset prevented most of the usual wheels from working:(

Chris Faulk
07-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Why not put a standard flange on the manifold? That'd open up a much larger selection of turbos.

Just asking...

inmyshadow
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't Subarus use IHI turbos?

Stinkbox
07-09-2006, 11:40 PM
it looks like the ihi inlet flange is similair to a non turbo dodge mitsu turbine, like a dsm. they are 6cm across i believe. you could put a 14b,16g,18g,20g, and alot of other hybrids like bullseyeperformance stuff.

2.216VTurbo
07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Why not put a standard flange on the manifold? That'd open up a much larger selection of turbos.

Just asking...

I really did go back and forth on that for a few weeks. What I finally decided is that there are plenty of Chrysler flange style turbos out there these days, plus I have a few from other projects that I can use:eyebrows:

2.216VTurbo
07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
it looks like the ihi inlet flange is similair to a non turbo dodge mitsu turbine, like a dsm. they are 6cm across i believe. you could put a 14b,16g,18g,20g, and alot of other hybrids like bullseyeperformance stuff.

I'll have to check one of those out! If they are 'clocked' like the IHI, it would keep me from having to create a whole new swingvalve assembly, that would save weeks no doubt:D

Thanks for all the ideas folks:thumb:

Una
07-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Standard T3 flange and run a HY35 Holset.. they seem to work well on TD's.. ;)

Chris Faulk
07-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Standard T3 flange and run a HY35 Holset.. they seem to work well on TD's.. ;)

Funny how an engine that never sees above ~3500rpm would have a turbo that performs well on our cars.

Chris Faulk
07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
I really did go back and forth on that for a few weeks. What I finally decided is that there are plenty of Chrysler flange style turbos out there these days, plus I have a few from other projects that I can use:eyebrows:

True...there are plenty of choices to fit the Chrysler flange. :eyebrows: