PDA

View Full Version : Clutch disks not fitting on input shaft!!!

DodgeZ
07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
When working on Show-Off’s car we fought installing his motor until we pulled he disk off and tried to slide it on the input shaft. It was a no go. Then Clutch Net sent him another disk which didn’t fit either. I had a 4 puck on the shelf so I told him to just replace it with a non CN disk. Which he got me another 4 puck disc from FWD. Well now 4-5 months later I am ready to install it. I check to make sure it will slide on before I bolt it up. Nope it won’t fit either. Yes it is the spline disc for the transmission. It won’t fit my 520/555 nor my 525. It is damn close but it isn’t going to work, hell the clutch alignment tool even fits. This is 3 disc now. I am sure most clutches are made by the same company and relabeled. So has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have a newer clutch sitting in a box they want to test?

tryingbe
07-09-2006, 12:58 PM
So, don't buy clutch from clutch net.
Who made that clutch set?

DodgeZ
07-09-2006, 01:00 PM
The first two didn't work were from clutch net the last one was from FWD. It was in a mcleod box

cordes
07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I got one from one of the vendors a couple of years back, and it would not fit either. When I was finally able to get a new small spline disk from them, it slipped right on.

At the time it was suggested that x number of years of wear and tear might have rounded the splines on the input shaft enough to cause it to become out of line. Perhaps try and use an emmery board to file it down a bit, and perhaps work up in coarsness from there?

turbovanman²
07-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Very common. Just get a small file and file the clutch disc splines. I see this all the time, hell, it bit me last year when doing Hemidare's clutch. I fought and the tranny woudn't go in, tried the disc, wouldn't slide on, a few minutes with a file and fixed, :mad:

DodgeZ
07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I got one from one of the vendors a couple of years back, and it would not fit either. When I was finally able to get a new small spline disk from them, it slipped right on.

At the time it was suggested that x number of years of wear and tear might have rounded the splines on the input shaft enough to cause it to become out of line. Perhaps try and use an emmery board to file it down a bit, and perhaps work up in coarsness from there?

Well in Show off's case the clutch net wouldn't work. took another brand new disc and it slide right on. That was one trans (we tried the bad disc on other random trans in the shop which they didn't work either). This new disc won't fit on two totally different transmissions. I have an almost new (1,500 miles) t-II disc and it slides right on

DodgeZ
07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Very common. Just get a small file and file the clutch disc splines. I see this all the time, hell, it bit me last year when doing Hemidare's clutch. I fought and the tranny woudn't go in, tried the disc, wouldn't slide on, a few minutes with a file and fixed, :mad:

I've thought about doing that or having my machinist buddy open it up a tad for me. But I'd hate to dick up an almost 200 dollar disc and hear "well you hacked on it so we can't return it". Or get it to slide on good while off the car but give trouble once attached to the motor in the car trying to get the trans in.

jre97
07-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I had a problem like that and just took some emery to the input shaft and cleaned it with brake cleaner and it slid right on.

Whorse
07-09-2006, 09:22 PM
I just test fitted a Gary Donovan 4 puck clutch, and it seemed to fit. I had a local car guy tell me he had to file his splines on the same clutch to fit his transmission. I have the 568 and his is a 555, which makes me wonder if possibly the splines are just slightly different and made to fit one or the other?

jre97
07-09-2006, 09:58 PM
If memory serves the 568 is a large spline unit and the 555 is a small spline unit.

turbovanman²
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I just test fitted a Gary Donovan 4 puck clutch, and it seemed to fit. I had a local car guy tell me he had to file his splines on the same clutch to fit his transmission. I have the 568 and his is a 555, which makes me wonder if possibly the splines are just slightly different and made to fit one or the other?

Yep, its machining tolerances, :eyebrows:

Whorse
07-10-2006, 12:48 AM
If memory serves the 568 is a large spline unit and the 555 is a small spline unit.

You're correct, with the exception of my car, the VNT which had the original 568 which came with the small splines like the older cars.

EDIT: I think the 90 Caravans with 5spd had the same 568, but there were very few of them made as well.

turbovanman²
07-10-2006, 04:01 AM
EDIT: I think the 90 Caravans with 5spd had the same 568, but there were very few of them made as well.

Yep, and I have one, :thumb:

Whorse
07-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Too bad you don't actually drive it instead of messing around with that warzone of an automatic you love :p

DodgeZ
07-10-2006, 08:40 AM

My first 4 puck disc was a Donovan disc and it fit.

GLHSKEN
07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Kevin,

I had to file my 4 puck from Gary to fit. Not much but enough. It held fine.

Very well could be the splines on the orig trans is the discriminating factor. Good thing you are in the practice of test fitting the discs...

altered7151
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I had the same problem with the 4-puck from TU. After wrestling with the motor and tranny by myself for almost an hour I finally pulled the clutch off to make sure it fit, which it didn't. After I verified it was the right spline I called Chris and he had me a new one within the week. I had thought about filing it also, but I was also afraid that if it still didn't fit I couldn't exchange it since I had modified it. The clutch didn't fit on either my 555 or my 525. The new one fit both perfect.

DodgeZ
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Talked to Cindy. Told me send it back and she'll look at it. Told me about filing it but then said she wouldn't warranty it if I do.

BadAssPerformance
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Could be machining tolerances or the wrong hub.

There is a Nissan (I think) 18 Spline that is a pubic hair smaller than the mopar one.

DodgeZ
07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Could be machining tolerances or the wrong hub.

There is a Nissan (I think) 18 Spline that is a pubic hair smaller than the mopar one.

Cindy said there is a VW disc that is really really close.

looneytuner
07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Jlust read this . I wonder if the makers compensate for shaft wear. If there isn't much, you have problems installing?