PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a VNT left ???

90Dodgevnt
07-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Just curious if anyone out there is working on any VNT projects?

After Will changed his VNT S60 to a T3/T4 (I think that is what it was), it seems like no one is doing anything with the VNT stuff anymore...

My project is finally coming to a close! :thumb:

Here is what I am running:

- .20 J&E shortblock w/ARP
-FM Stage II head
-Taft Stage 2 cam
-FM Adj. cam gear
-Adj. fpr
-VNT28 Turbo w/machined exhaust elbow (to accept 3 inch donut)
-16 psi SBEC
-3 bar MAP
-Full 3 inch exhaust w/cat
-Large ported intake (similar to FM's Max Flow)
-Ported exhaust manifold
-Under Drive pulley
-Trunk mount battery
-RFL BOV
-Spearco type FMIC
-Aluminum intercooler hose w/silicone hose and t-bolt claps (aluminum junk! Waiting on new mandrel bent exhaust)
-Scirocco radiator w/dual fans & steel radiator hose
-TU T-Stat housing
-Quickor front engine mount /rear bobble strut
-Booger bushings

Later this month:

-TU header
-TU braided oil line
-Rebuild/upgrade to VNTS60
-Steel exhaust for intercooler hoses (Racing Solutions)

Left to do:

-Install A/C
-Change clutch
-Tune
-Re-do vac harness & zip tie EVERYTHING!

Near future:

-TU 3 bar Cal

Here are a few pics when I had the engine apart a few months ago. I'll take more when I pull the head later this month.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/90dodgevnt/03-15engine2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/90dodgevnt/3-13engine.jpg

VNT's rule

Una
07-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm running a VNT cal in my Horizon.. But that's as close as I'll get to a VNT I think..

Directconnection
07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm working on my '90 VNT competition package Shadow. The car had a ported head, FM ported exhaust manifold, trick custom 2-bar cal, and 3" exhaust at one point on the other VNT ES Shadow I own. But... here is a list of my mods being done to the VNT:

#1) Pull motor out of car
#2) Build new 2.5 8v motor
#3) install T3/T4 turbo
#4) drop into car
#5) tune
#6) aaaaah! HP!

90Dodgevnt
07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Ok, anyone that is not converting to a T3/T4 or whatever ? :rolleyes:

I though about going Super60, etc. but I couldn't see spending $$$ for a 3 inch swingvalve, braided lines, a turbo, S60 cal, etc.

Will Martin
07-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Although I'll always have a love for VNT's, the reality of BOOST hit me. My car now, is just an absolute BLAST to drive. I took my gf out in my car for the first time yesterday on 18psi. She damn near ---- her g-string! lol It was either having a car that's quick, or having a car that quick and fast; there's a difference and the VNT just wasn't fast enough, even the S60VNT.

Directconnection
07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Ok, anyone that is not converting to a T3/T4 or whatever ? :rolleyes:

I though about going Super60, etc. but I couldn't see spending $$$ for a 3 inch swingvalve, braided lines, a turbo, S60 cal, etc.

You don't need a 3" swingvalve.

You need a T-II or S60 turbo like you are speaking of, a stock 2-1/2" SW which now can be found for cheap used along with the wastegate actuator. A T-I or T-II 1988 and up exhaust manifold. SS braided turbo line kit and a g-valve. Cal is not totally needed but is a good idea. Many have run converted VNTs to T-II on the stock VNT computer and even one guy ran a
S60 turbo on the stock vnt computer.

Will Martin
07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm still running the VNT computer in my car; been waiting for my TU cal for MONTHS!

90Dodgevnt
07-09-2006, 09:30 PM
You don't need a 3" swingvalve.

You need a T-II or S60 turbo like you are speaking of, a stock 2-1/2" SW which now can be found for cheap used along with the wastegate actuator. A T-I or T-II 1988 and up exhaust manifold. SS braided turbo line kit and a g-valve. Cal is not totally needed but is a good idea. Many have run converted VNTs to T-II on the stock VNT computer and even one guy ran a
S60 turbo on the stock vnt computer.

Well I have the 3 inch exhaust, and I already had a vendor once before jam a stock 2.5 swingvalve/elbow and 3 inch exhaust donut together on my car...won't even get into how that turned out:rolleyes:

Tu website:

S60 Turbo: $625
Turbo lines:$110
Swingvalve:$250
Large can: $80
TU Cal: $200-ish (can't remember and price is of their website)

Now I know some can be found used for much less then the above prices...but even %50 percent of everything above, it's another $632...or $1280-ish retail...and I would rather paint my car this year :thumb:

Whorse
07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm still running a VNT, and while I can't afford much now, I do have a few ideas of what I plan on doing.

For now, I'm just doing small upgrades. I've got a 944 intercooler, which on the slow learning VNT computer gained me 2psi for about a week, I'm going to be putting in a Taft S1 cam that I bought off Simon, and I have plans to run a TBI header once it arrives and I get it modified with a VNT flange. I'm going to look into modifying the turbo to have the vanes open further, and possibly look into adding a wastegate to give the car a bit more top end.

Ender
08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok, i'm gonna ask a stupid question. I've seen it so many times I have to know, what does VNT stand for?

Darkapollo
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Variable Nozzle Turbine
If you can sort through the BS posts
your bestfriend for dodge terms:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5987

Whorse
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I've got one sitting in my garage right now actually. I'm looking to buy another VNT lebaron (pending), and I have a project in mind for my convertible, so there are still a few of us working on them.

Tony Fields
08-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Just driving mine :banaride: :dancingbana: :banaride: :dancingbana: :banaride: :dancingbana:

BTW this is the first day of my retirement!!!!!!!

My wife bought me a 1967 Barracuda fastback project as a gift. Will have a 360 and 727 tranny when finished.

boostboy
11-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Ive got a 1990 Shadow VNT competition pakage car. It is fairly complete, has some rust but a rebuilt motor and turbo on the car! Ill post some pics soon.

cornflakesglht
11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
my daily driver is a 90 VNT Daytona bone stock. i dont plan to modd it since i dont want to break it, i kinda need it to go to work ! lol

stormy69
11-19-2006, 10:07 AM
i saved a 89 CSX from the crusher, it was only missing the cvalve cover and front air dam! i will get to it some day:-(
James

KenWagner13
02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I have a 1990 CS Daytona VNT. All new parts, 100% stock. I am selling. :( I need money for other Dodges! Anybody intersted?

JDAWG
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a 90 Shelby Daytona VNT, how much boost can you pull out of the turbo? Im kinda scared of boost creep cause of the small turbo.

Whorse
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Specs I've read say MAX 18psi, but there are stories of them creeping to about 22psi.

PM me if you're interested in a couple tricks to help improve the efficiency of your turbo.

For street purposes, I wouldn't go above 15psi without upgrading the compressor wheel to a T-28 spec.

JDAWG
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
15 sounds about where i wanna be, ill pm ya later

Birddog
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Guys.... Ya have to read this!! It's old but it pays off;)
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22873

WickedShelby88
02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Interesting stuff Sean. I'd like to get a VNT for my 88 Shelby eventually. I think it would be something different to toy with. I know the powerstroke diesels have been running VNT for a little while now and those things make some serious freaking power. Its an amazing concept, its a shame mopar didn't stick it out. That porsche mentioned in the above thread is the most powerful 911 yet and is one of the worlds faster production cars at the track. It makes the new Z06 seem slow in some areas. Well we won't go any further with that, but I give the VNT a big thumbs up and wish I was one of the few who own a factory VNT car.

Whorse
02-03-2007, 02:21 AM
How I wish I could go in there and tell them my 1990 Lebaron has this technology :P

The powerstroke VNT is a neat unit, but it is controlled by oil pressure and pulsewidth modulation, and would be tricky to control without an aftermarket controller, like megasquirt.

racer-xerols
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Still have my 89 CSX. Modified but still a VNT. Has a TEC S60 VNT, 58mm TB and Ed Peters ported/ceramic coated intake, ported G head with MP oversize valves and double springs (clatterclatter), and currently an 88 Shelby Z bottom end. The numbers matching shortblock is under the bench waiting for a rebuild. Don't have a custom cal yet and it's on the waaay-back burner since car has only logged *maybe* 150 miles in the last five years...but with the stock cal and +20s/AFPR, the boost hits late and it hits HARD. I also think my cam timing is off (round tooth cam with square tooth sprocket because of the non-CB bottom end). But again...it's waaaay down there in priorities. Stored peacefully under a cover in the garage, nice and safe and ready for show season to get here again.