PDA

View Full Version : clunking when getting on or off the gas

rhubbard
07-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I took my lancer out driving after it sat for awhile waiting for a new turbo. One of the things I did to help in my turbo swap process was unbolt the front motor mount. now I'm not sure if this is relevant info or not, i'll let you guys decide.

No the actual problem was that I would drive and be accelerating and after I let off the gas, I would hear this clunk. If i were to push the gas agian, I would get the same noise. Naturally I ignored this cause I just wanted to drive it. the next thing that happened was my cv ripped itself apart at the inner joint. thinking back on it, I can't recall if the bracket that holds the intermediate shaft came off or not, but I know that I only put on bolt in it and it was in the upper hole which had stripped out threads (something I didn't know at the time). This time around, I made sure the bracket was secure and after replacing the cv, I still get the same noise. Now this leads me to think it has something to do with the motor mount. also, when tightening the nut on the axle, the nut went on so far that a cotter pin would have been useless. what did I do wrong and what is this noise?

Bardo
07-09-2006, 07:09 AM
if you left your fmm unbolted thats the problem. your engine is shifting forward and backward. thats what riped your CV boot

rhubbard
07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I tightened it down just fine.

jre97
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
The front one tends to clunk back and forth if you don't get the cross bolt really tight. I've seen it on a couple of cars. It clunks back and forth and eventually ruins your other mounts and axles. Look at it where it bolts to the body and see if the paint is scraped off from the bolt head and washer, also inspect it for cracks next to where it bolts to the block.

MiniMopar
07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Put the car in Park (auto) or in 1st gear (stick). Pop the hood and push the car backwards and let it bounce back. Keep doing this until you really get is rocking and start hearing the clunk. You should be able to find it this way.

As for the axle nut, it sounds like you forgot to put the washer on.

GLHNSLHT2
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
or by being loose the front motor mount bracket is broken. Been there seen that.

Bardo
07-10-2006, 06:35 AM
or by being loose the front motor mount bracket is broken. Been there seen that.
:amen: i ran the boost to 20 in my tona with a bad front mount and snapped it clean in half