PDA

View Full Version : Intake question?

QC DSM ESiT
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Hey guys, I wanted a better flowing intake other then just added a better filter to the factory air box. I searched around but didn't find much on them. I was just wondering if there is a place that sells like a short ram intake that really wouldn't get in the way of intercooler piping? I don't have an intercooler yet but planned on adding one here very soon. This would be for my 89 turbo minivan. Thanks in advance guys.

turboshadow
07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Most people just fab up there own intake and stick a kn filter on the end its simple cheap and works well.

Spraynlog
07-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, I wanted a better flowing intake other then just added a better filter to the factory air box. I searched around but didn't find much on them. I was just wondering if there is a place that sells like a short ram intake that really wouldn't get in the way of intercooler piping? I don't have an intercooler yet but planned on adding one here very soon. This would be for my 89 turbo minivan. Thanks in advance guys.

The K & N drop in for the stock airbox ain't too bad an option. The stock airbox draws cool air from outside the engine compartment. If you stick a cone filter under the hood you are going to be sucking some hot underhood air unless you do the placement right.

QC DSM ESiT
07-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Most people just fab up there own intake and stick a kn filter on the end its simple cheap and works well.

So what do most people use for tuding, like 2in. or so exhaust piping and whatever silicone tubing bends needed to avoid intercooler piping?

WVRampage
07-09-2006, 01:49 AM
I used the stock airbox to turbo tube and then 2.5 inch exhaust pipe.

QC DSM ESiT
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
I used the stock airbox to turbo tube and then 2.5 inch exhaust pipe.

Okay that makes sense. What do you guys do then with the part of the air box that goes to the computer there on the side?

turbovanmanČ
07-09-2006, 11:23 PM
You can't use the stock airbox when running an intercooler so I used a Honda Accord intake setup and it put the filter on top of the battery. I then built a cold air intake box and cut out the hood. If you check out the vendor section, someone has made a kit that puts the air filter under the battery. You don't hook up the hose to the computer, leave it open.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Imag0081.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/a7f59b17.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
07-09-2006, 11:58 PM
3" or bigger. 2.5" becomes a restriction to the turbo. The easier it is for the turbo to grab the air the more efficient it becomes. A stock T1 suckthrough turbo operates in a totally different area of the map vs a T2 turbo of the same size because it has to suck the air that much harder. So upgrade the size of the piping.

turboshadow
07-10-2006, 12:05 AM
You dont need to really worry about the air hose through the computer. Most tds i know off dont have any hose hooked up to it. But if your really worried about it you can hook up a small computer fan to the computer to get some air flowing through it.