PDA

View Full Version : TBI vs Turbo SMEC Power Module

bfarroo
04-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Is a TBI Smec Power module the same as a Turbo Power Module? I've had 3 computers go bad over the past few years and it's always been the power module section. I've had the problem in 3 different cars also so I don't think it's a vehicle related issue. I've run out of spare SMEC's now but have three with bad power modules sitting here. The Turbo SMEC's are getting harder and harder to find at the yards but there is always plenty of TBI cars. If the TBI section is the same then I can pick those up to repair my current turbo smecs.

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I just looked at the pinout on the Minimopar site and it looks like the TBI smec doesn't have the injector circuit 2 built in to it. I guess my only chance would probably be a Flex fuel vehicle possibly as that had the MPI setup.

ShelGame
04-04-2011, 09:26 AM
That's right - the TBI/SMEC power module only has 1 injector driver. But, a 3.0 V6 power module should work. It has 3 injector drivers. One will simply go unused. You should be able to find 3.0 SMEC's, they were pretty plentiful, too.

I think the 3.0 logic board will work for a turbo computer also (if you swap the chip obviously). I'm just not sure if the knock circuitry is there or not since I've never tried it on a car.

The flex fuel cars were all SBEC-II (92+) - the power module and logic module were on the same board. So that wouldn't work for you anyway.

bfarroo
04-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Good to know I'll have to look for V6 Smecs then too. Am I the only person that has them go bad this often? I guess it's been 3 different cars in about 5 years.

ShelGame
04-05-2011, 07:54 AM
I've had a couple come back from customer computers. I wish I knew what was going bad in them. I doubt it would be hard to repair.

Though, one of mine is obvious what's wrong - all of the capacitors that have their tops exposed out of the potting compound are corroded away.