PDA

View Full Version : '99 Neon R/T

83Shelby
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows of a bigger throttle body to run on the DOHC motor?
ex:52mm off a 3.0L fits on our 2.2L

Sgt Craig
04-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Jeep 4.0 TB

Juggy
04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
might as well run a 58mm off of a 98-00 3.8L high output town and country caravan. some grands have em too

both the 58mm and the 60mm both neck down to like 54mm.

also im pretty sure the 60mm jeep 4 bolt pattern is a tad smaller. you would just need to open up the 2 holes on the TB to make it work.

the 58mm can be bored out to a true 58mm. i did that to my TB here. I also got a 60mm jeep TB bored and plated to 62mm

ShadowFromHell
04-03-2011, 01:28 PM
One from a auto neon is bigger, doesnt matter if it is sohc or dohc. They bolt up, and give decent gains, Ive done that mod to two of the neons I have owned. The auto TB and a 3.0 intake is a good upgrade for a SOHC or DOHC neon.

83Shelby
04-03-2011, 08:00 PM
A 3.o intake bolts up? Really?

ShadowFromHell
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Yup

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=341998&p=2788902

Ive ran that style intake on all my neons, works great!

black86glhs
04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Not really the intake mnaifold, just the pre-TB intake stuff....don't get confused....LOL.

83Shelby
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Got ya,now the 3.0 TB bolts up?Aren't the connectors different?

ShadowFromHell
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Yup, but honestly if you are just looking for a little more pep I think you would be better of with just the auto TB. My neon is a 97 DOHC sport with 3.94's (same as your r/t) and the throttle is touchy with the the larger auto TB. I dont know If I would want to go any bigger or if it is even needed.

83Shelby
04-03-2011, 09:33 PM
OK,now does anyone know what lb. injectors these have and what are good upgrades and from what vehicle to get them from?

ShadowFromHell
04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Upgrade? Are you boosting it or something? No need to upgrade otherwise.

83Shelby
04-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Ok,didn't know if the whole more air/fuel-out the exhaust would make a diff on a n/a car.

dodgeshadowchik
04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
CAI Intake, header, exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, Auto TB, and you'll love it. That's what was done to my old R/T and it was a blast to drive. It ran low 15's spinning tires through 3 gears... pretty sure it would've been a 14-sec car if it had slicks. :)

No need for larger injectors unless at that point..

ShadowFromHell
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
From the small gains these cars seem to get from intake and exhaust mods it makes me wonder if some mild cams wouldnt be a better first mod then a header or even mopar ECU.

WickedShelby88
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
The second gen R/T got hp gain from a cam, exhaust, and premium fuel. I would think the DOHC engine is leaving a lot on the table.

Mopar318
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, there is a lot to gain with the 1st gen neon's. I went the easy way out. As far as N/A performance, mine had a long tube header, Iceman CAI, and Mopar pcm and it was very quick. It was also a 2.4!

ShadowFromHell
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, there is a lot to gain with the 1st gen neon's. I went the easy way out. As far as N/A performance, mine had a long tube header, Iceman CAI, and Mopar pcm and it was very quick. It was also a 2.4!

A buddy of mine had a "bolt on" 2.4 years ago in the neon I now have. Had everything you had, but it still wasn't as fast as I thought it should have been. I think a set of cams would have REALLY woke it up, nothing crazy like 22's but maybe some 14's or something like that. I would be curious how well a neon like mine that has nothing more then a auto tb and 3.0 intake would do with a set of cams. From the numbers I have seen "big" bolt on's like a long tube dont really add that much power. I think the stock cams are tying up ALOT of power even in a bone stock motor.

ATaylorRacing
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
CAI Intake, header, exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, Auto TB, and you'll love it. That's what was done to my old R/T and it was a blast to drive. It ran low 15's spinning tires through 3 gears... pretty sure it would've been a 14-sec car if it had slicks. :)

I had all of that done to my 98 SOHC Micromachine...but also ran the injectors from the automatic car...a bit larger. The best the car ran on motor was 14.80 on slicks....addded 125 hp shot of nitrous to it and it ran a best of 12.17 at 119...a hair more mph than my non-nitrous 05 SRT4 Pit Bull..12.17 at 115.

I used this car (the 98) to win Car and Driver Magazines 50th Anniversary Drag Race in 05...it had a problem and was running on 3 cylinders, running low 17s, but the heat index for the two days was in the 116 degree range and it was the only car I had with AC...ran it all day long except when on the track. They limited it to 500 cars which would have been 9 rounds..but when we got down to 8 they tossed in 8 Car and Driver editors to try and take us out....after two days and 10 rounds a certain old fart was the winner...the car went over 100,000 miles the last day on the home. They had film crews there and the whole 9 yards...they even stuck a incar camera in my car for a pass and interviewed me after the event. When the Hour Oower was finally televised they ran almost the entire drag strip section about a BMW Isetta that ran 40 something mph!!! He didn't even race! I think they were ticked that at the end a lowly Neon and a FourRunner met in the finals...both being 17 second slugs...all the high $$$ stuff went home early. I must say though, before evry Auto Meter TV ad during the show they ran my incar camera...CLEARLY showing all my AM gauges! Thank God I didn't miss a shift!

Csaba Csere handing me a Rolex Daytona!

ShadowFromHell
04-04-2011, 09:29 PM
but also ran the injectors from the automatic car

This is the first time I heard of this, not that I am doubting you but what is your source for this info? The neon crowd is such a mess (compared to here) I dont visit their forums much, so it wouldnt surprise me if this was a new bit of info :).

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Also... congrats on the win with the neon. I had a old sohc mtx sedan years ago and it was one of my favorite cars to drag race, really couldn't tell you why. It ran a 15.8 on a bog (DR's) with nothing more then a punched cat, fart cannon, and 3.0 intake. Car definitely could have got a 15.5 out of it with another pass, but we got rained out and I sold it a few weeks later. All my other neon buddies were pissed that their dohc cars that were modded were slower then my almost stock SOHC, and my buddy that had a 2.4 with a ton of bolton's only ran .2 faster!

83Shelby
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know the lb. difference from the manual to the auto?

dodgeshadowchik
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
All my other neon buddies were pissed that their dohc cars that were modded were slower then my almost stock SOHC, and my buddy that had a 2.4 with a ton of bolton's only ran .2 faster!

The slowest 1g neon combo is the DOHC automatic. The reason is the DOHC is rev-happy and the automatic shifts before the powerband.

I also have never heard of the auto injector thing..

ATaylorRacing
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
This is the first time I heard of this, not that I am doubting you but what is your source for this info? The neon crowd is such a mess (compared to here) I dont visit their forums much, so it wouldnt surprise me if this was a new bit of info :).

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Also... congrats on the win with the neon. I had a old sohc mtx sedan years ago and it was one of my favorite cars to drag race, really couldn't tell you why. It ran a 15.8 on a bog (DR's) with nothing more then a punched cat, fart cannon, and 3.0 intake. Car definitely could have got a 15.5 out of it with another pass, but we got rained out and I sold it a few weeks later. All my other neon buddies were pissed that their dohc cars that were modded were slower then my almost stock SOHC, and my buddy that had a 2.4 with a ton of bolton's only ran .2 faster!

I got that info straight from the dealership....I don't think they atre much bigger and no back to back 1/4 mile runs were done without other changes.

Pat
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
The slowest 1g neon combo is the DOHC automatic. The reason is the DOHC is rev-happy and the automatic shifts before the powerband.

I can attest to the DOHC/auto combo sucking. My brother had a '99 DOHC Sport sedan and it was terribly slow. I recall he drag raced it at a points race once and it was consistent, but it was something like a solid mid 17 second car. He later swapped the transfer gears out to 1.22's (?) and it was much better but the auto trans cal's rev limiter was really too low. Just when the fun was starting, it would hit the rev limiter.

ShadowFromHell
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM

While DOHC auto's are slow, My buddies cars were all sticks. :)

contraption22
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Yup, but honestly if you are just looking for a little more pep I think you would be better of with just the auto TB. My neon is a 97 DOHC sport with 3.94's (same as your r/t) and the throttle is touchy with the the larger auto TB. I dont know If I would want to go any bigger or if it is even needed.

Throttle blades are the same size on Auto or MTX TB's. What you want to do is take your MTX TB to a shop or a friend with a lathe, and have them chuck it up and remove the hump that is in the front side of the MTX tb's. That makes it flow as well as the Auto TB's while keeping the slower MTX throttle cam.

RoadWarrior222
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM
BTW didn't someone on here flow a 58mm and find it flowed less after it was bored out.

Also, thinking of going to a 58mm on the voyager when other mods are done, wondering if that MTX throttle cam might be an idea so I won't burn tires every time I touch the gas.

contraption22
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Also, thinking of going to a 58mm on the voyager when other mods are done, wondering if that MTX throttle cam might be an idea so I won't burn tires every time I touch the gas.

I guess it could, but the problem is, if the V6 throttle cams are clocked the same way that Turbo throttle cams are, then they are clocked differently than Neon throttle cams. To get the Neon TB to work on my 2.2, we had to do some cutting and welding. Not sure if it's worth all that.

Reeves
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM

x2 On a 99 SOHC, a .020" shaved and cleaned up head, cheap pacesetter header, Howell race computer, 2.25" catless exhaust, Howell UD pulley netted 14.7's on street tires. Gawd I miss that car. Loved it and still got 35 mpg! Oh yeah....it had an iceman too you idiot.

Throttle blades are the same size on Auto or MTX TB's. What you want to do is take your MTX TB to a shop or a friend with a lathe, and have them chuck it up and remove the hump that is in the front side of the MTX tb's. That makes it flow as well as the Auto TB's while keeping the slower MTX throttle cam.

It's easier (IMO) to find the auto throttle body and put the manual throttle body throttle cam on it.
Bolting on just the auto throttle body with no mods yields a VERY touchy throttle on a manual car. Trust me.

83Shelby
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
It's easier (IMO) to find the auto throttle body and put the manual throttle body throttle cam on it.
Bolting on just the auto throttle body with no mods yields a VERY touchy throttle on a manual car. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

Touchy in a good way or a bad way?

black86glhs
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Probably bad.....lol.

RoadWarrior222
04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Yah, touchy in the way that you can either feather the clutch and set off slower than you can push the thing, or instantly jump 20ft, neither being helpful in traffic.

Reeves
04-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Touchy in a bad way. Touchy in a way that you'll need a heavy throttle spring to keep from blipping the throttle on/off/on/off.

contraption22
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Touchy in a bad way. Touchy in a way that you'll need a heavy throttle spring to keep from blipping the throttle on/off/on/off.

Yup. Touchy like the slightest RCH of foot movement has drastic results on throttle input.

mario03SRT
04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
For my current DOHC R/T I picked up a 55mm billet Modern Performance TB used for 60.00, added a 3.0 intake elbow and a K/N, and a MP ECU, Headman header, Catless 2.5 " exhaust, and 3.94 GB. 35 mpg and it bips thru the gears very nicely. On my old ACR same amods as above, i milled the head 50 thou, mild port/polish and a crane 0012 cam, 24 lb injectors and a Split Second AFC. The little bugger screamed. 13.80 with slicks.............made 167 to the wheels.