PDA

View Full Version : L-Body (Rampage) tow hitch options?

john1320
04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
We need ideas from all of you out there who do light towing with their Scamp/Rampages.
Anything that requires minor fabbing, as any welding/cutting would be done at a shop.
Perhaps some of you have simple solutions? We have a hitch tongue/clamp from a member here, and he is working with us.
I do want at least 3 different solutions, in case we go a different route altogether.
Links and PMs are welcome :)

-John

2.216VTurbo
04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
You've probably seen this thread but if not, towing with a 'Page is pretty well covered here:eyebrows:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?23495-Airbag-Rear-Suspension-Rampage-)&highlight=lerampage

RoadWarrior222
04-02-2011, 04:50 PM
4th solution is a ball on a plate in the bed and a gooseneck trailer...

bakes
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I dont want to hear this ramapage is trying pulling a fith wheel.

RoadWarrior222
04-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Only a baby 5th wheel setup with a ball and hitch and light trailer... IMHO it would be wayyy safer if you were gonna go up to about 2500lb to do it that way than with a drawbar hitch.... still probably illegal in states that care about manufacturers tow ratings, but safer... relatively.

john1320
04-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Only a baby 5th wheel setup with a ball and hitch and light trailer... IMHO it would be wayyy safer if you were gonna go up to about 2500lb to do it that way than with a drawbar hitch.... still probably illegal in states that care about manufacturers tow ratings, but safer... relatively.

I do agree with that being a safer, and far easier solution, with no fear of ripping off the rear bumper or attachment from too much tongue weight.
I still love the trick airbag support 2.216v used- would be perfect for a baby gooseneck

Badger
04-04-2011, 02:25 AM
I just need a good quality 2" reciever and an idea of where on the back of the truck would be the best place to mount it. The reciever will be supporting a bike rack and a 40-50lb. bike. Im guessing this would require a class one reciever?

RoadWarrior222
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
2" reciever is usually class III I thought. Good thing about going heavier there though is that it's less likely to be a problem with the load vibrating. Anyway, you'd want your classic, two frame rails to drawbar to receiver type jobbie.

Badger
04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I guess accoeding to the manual the rack will also fit a 1 1/4 class 2 also but, like you mentioned I think a class 3 would be prefered for the vibration reasons.

john1320
04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
2" reciever is usually class III I thought. Good thing about going heavier there though is that it's less likely to be a problem with the load vibrating. Anyway, you'd want your classic, two frame rails to drawbar to receiver type jobbie.

And this is one route i have been chasing. I need to find the closest rail-to-rail receiver setup i can find, and then i can elongate the holes and mount it up. I just don't know what the *closest* match might be. Perhaps a Bronco II or S10?
Like i said of one is narrow enough, it can be persuaded to mount and then we're golden!
The hitch setup i have now was purchased from a member, and it mounts directly under the bumper itself, after 4-6 holes are drilled. It worked fine for him, but i would love a stronger option for heavier use.

Reeves
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
So what was the solution? I'm looking for a light duty hitch (small utility trailer) for my Scamp.

black86glhs
08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Hell James, you could probably make one that is stronger than a pre-made one just from your scrap pile....lol.:p

contraption22
08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
The rampage I sold had a couple of 1/4" steel plates bolted between the bumper and the frame, from to which was welded a 2" square tube which was behind the bumper. Welded to that was a universal 2" reciever. It was quite sturdy.

johnl
08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
The rampage I sold had a couple of 1/4" steel plates bolted between the bumper and the frame, from to which was welded a 2" square tube which was behind the bumper. Welded to that was a universal 2" reciever. It was quite sturdy.

I bought a Class II hitch assembly from the junk yard; it came off a Caravan. It was too wide for the Rampage frame rails by about two inches, so I added 1"x2" rectangular box to shim out both frame rails to the hitch plates. Then I welded in a 2"x3" piece of box section that runs transversely between the frame rails and tight to the rear edge of the bed. From that there's a hanger to help support the center of the hitch.

Badger
08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Mock_GLH built me one for my rampage similar to what Mike did. If you can weld, and you have access to scrap metal, it doesnt look that hard.

Reeves
08-07-2012, 08:25 AM

That's a good plan. I'll look into that later. I was planning on hauling a small utility trailer to the Mopar Nats to haul my Golfed Cart in. But no need now!

bigbarneycars
08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Bungy cords from the door jams to the stearing column and you're good tah go. Jes remember NO HOLE SHOTS!

jaysshelby
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
That's a good plan. I'll look into that later. I was planning on hauling a small utility trailer to the Mopar Nats to haul my Golfed Cart in. But no need now!

might want to turn the golf cart around since the rear of the cart is heavier and put that weight in front of the rear wheel of the SCAMP.

135sohc
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM

you need some airbags on that thing.

RoadWarrior222
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
might want to turn the golf cart around since the rear of the cart is heavier and put that weight in front of the rear wheel of the SCAMP.good plan....

But however much sense it makes to haul a car backwards on a bed, no-one ever wants to do it! :D

contraption22
08-07-2012, 11:05 AM

How much does that weigh? Have you upgraded brakes yet? Early 4 lug K-car brakes are a pretty easy swap if i remember correctly, and you'd get ventilated front rotors.

ATaylorRacing
08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
When Matchbox was brand new I stuck a hitch on it that bolted to the unibody and bumper support to to my 1981 Horizon called Four Play...I would only tow it 16 miles and it was done VERY carefully. Only a few white knuckle instances, but I used country roads to get around the city traffic. Stopping was the biggest problem, but remember, all the suspension and brakes on it are stock.

RoadWarrior222
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
L body braking problem? Oh right, brand new, you were still a few months off being able to drag your heels on the ground to help :D

black86glhs
08-07-2012, 09:47 PM
That's a good plan. I'll look into that later. I was planning on hauling a small utility trailer to the Mopar Nats to haul my Golfed Cart in. But no need now!Technically, could either one be towed by the other??!! lol

Reeves
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Was planning on putting it on backwards, but bed of golf cart will hit rear glass I think. Not sure if I want to find out if it does or not...

john1320
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
any pics of johns welded hitch? :)