PDA

View Full Version : Cummins diesel turbo specs?

qsiguy
07-08-2006, 12:48 AM
I am trying to figure out what the specs are for the OEM Cummins Turbo Diesel turbo charger. Trim #'s, A/R, etc. Anyone know this information or where to find it? I imaging there may be some various models but I'm looking for the specs for the most common turbo diesel trucks.

Thanks if anyone can share some info.

Well, let me get into a little more detail about what I am trying to do so you all can share your vast knowledge about turbos. I have an Infiniti Q45 and I want to experiment with turbocharging it. I don't want to fork out big $$ for new equipment just for experimentation so I am trying to source the right size turbo to provide about 5-8 lbs of boost for my Q45. Here are the specs on the motor.

4.5L DOHC 32v V8
274 ci
4494 cc
10.2:1 compression
OEM claims 278HP @ 6000rmp (at the crank I think)
292 lb-ft @ 4000rpm

I am hoping to find an easy to find used turbo that can be bought cheap and is reliable. Hence the Cummins diesel turbo assuming the specs are correct. For an aftermarket turbo I've been told a T3/T4 60 trim turbo would work for what I want so I am trying to figure out if any common OEM turbos meet that spec.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

turbokcar
07-13-2006, 02:11 AM
you have 2 differnt models to choose from.. depending on year maybe more,

hy35 i think they came on -2002 &previous autos, and 2003+all models
hx35 came on 2002&previous 5speed.
(dodge ram 3500 with cummins.)

on my k car im running a hy35 from a 2003 5speed,

youll never find what .ar it is cause they dont rate them in .ar they use like cubic inches of flow or something..

but they say it could be equivelent to 63 trim (if they made such thing) as far as the way it flows.. just ad a bit to a 60 tirm and thats what it is

my 2.2 8v is spooling it at 3k rpm with no trouble,(no special headwork done right now just a ported exh. mani), i just cant wait to take full potential.. (running 13psi right now)

hope that helps a bit..

Paul

Frank
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
My turbocalculator might give you some good clues.
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/

I would strongly suggest not going more then 8psi with the compression you have if you want to keep it reliable and most importantly worry free. Of course 8psi should give you around 430hp!

I would highly recommend you go with something like a Garrett T66 and intercool it. The Holsets recommended above are going to be way to small giving you tons of boost downlow removing your streetability and the ability to get decent gas mileage... you will be in the boost constantly like the diesels are. There are larger Holsets you could look at, but nobody here knows much about them at first glance... H2E and HX40 thru the HX60. I have maps for all of them, but they are a little ghetto. If you want to try a larger Holset, I would go with the HX50.

Frank

qsiguy
07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
That is great information and just what I was looking for. Frank, you suggest the Garrett T66. I have found quite a few Turbos that I think will work, what I am attempting to do is find an OEM model that will do the trick that can be bought cheap. Are there any vehicles you know of that come with a turbo comperable to the T66 from the factory?

Turbocar, your motor is quite a bit smaller than mine so I doubt I'd get the results I want. Makes sense what Frank said about it spooling up to quickly and I wouldn't want that. I think full boost around 3-4K would be pretty good. From factory it redlines at about 6.9K RPM but I have a remapped and programmed ECU that increased the redline to 7.4K RPM. Sounds like it's working great in your car though. What car is that in?

Thanks for the great info.

Frank
07-13-2006, 05:30 PM
PM gasketmaster who is a dealer for Precision Turbos. The model number is a PT66. As for a used one... I dunno who offered those on any cars because its a big turbo... 755hp on a Turbo Buick.

Frank

qsiguy
07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow 755hp is a lot. So if the boost was regulated to 5-8 lb. range it would keep me in the 400-450 hp range? My stock internals and injectors are supposed to be good for up to around 500 hp (so I'm told). What do they charge for that turbo? Do they have a web site?

Frank
07-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes to the power.

He has a website: http://www.terrysperformance.com/ But no prices or much other then contacts. I need to finish that for him. Just e-mail him and he will be quick to respond.

Frank