PDA

View Full Version : Best electronic boost controller?

glhs875
07-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Who makes the best all around multi-stage electronic boost controller? Right now the Apexi AVC Type R , and the Turbo Smart look good. I like the Turbo Smart because it can be mounted in a pillar pod.

Una
07-09-2006, 08:43 AM
But ya can't get a pillar pod for an L body...

GLHS592
07-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Yes you can. www.fwdperformance.com

glhs875
07-09-2006, 08:47 AM
But ya can't get a pillar pod for an L body...

I use one for a Mustang that I cut down. It fits okay. I probably will get a universal one and see if it will fit even better.

glhs875
07-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes you can. www.fwdperformance.com

I didn't see your post before I posted. I thought you had one for an L body!

glhs875
07-09-2006, 08:50 AM
After doing some research, in my opinion the TURBOSMART is the bad boy!!! :thumb:

Una
07-09-2006, 09:21 AM
haha, rock on.. Just ordered that pillar pod.. Thanks for the correction. :)

GLHS592
07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
After doing some research, in my opinion the TURBOSMART is the bad boy!!! :thumb:

Which model? I looked at their website and thought they all were too similar to make a choice. Where are you getting your's? I need to get a datalogger and a laptop first.

bn880
07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Nice,

any ideas on a pillar pod for an H body? (GTS/Lancer)

glhs875
07-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Which model? I looked at their website and thought they all were too similar to make a choice. Where are you getting your's? I need to get a datalogger and a laptop first.

I'm going to get the stealth (black) 60mm sport compact model. The 40 psi one. It will match my other guage I aleady have. I'm going to replace my boost guage with the boost controller as it does that as well as alot of other things, including recall. I don't think I will ever need the 60 psi model!!!

iTurbo
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Nice,

any ideas on a pillar pod for an H body? (GTS/Lancer)

I'm using the G-body pillar pod in my Shelby Lancer. It's not an exact fit, but it works OK and the gauges are easy to read.

86Shelby
07-09-2006, 03:50 PM
That is one heck of a controller there! WOW!

I'm happy with the GReddy Profec Type S that I have in the R/T. I really like the remote switch to change from high to low boost. It attaches to the steering wheel with a strap of vecro for easy attachment and removal. No wires or infared lights for the switch, it's done with a radio-type signal.

glhs875
07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=86Shelby]That is one heck of a controller there! WOW!

That's why I want it! I run multiple stages for street tires already, but I have been looking for a better setup than what have. I feel the Turbosmart controller is it! If it only wasn't nearly $500.00. But sometimes you have to pay to play.

powermaxx
07-09-2006, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=86Shelby]That is one heck of a controller there! WOW!

That's why I want it! I run multiple stages for street tires already, but I have been looking for a better setup than what have. I feel the Turbosmart controller is it! If it only wasn't nearly $500.00. But sometimes you have to pay to play.

I just got my eBoost2 unit last week. I've been going thru the setup and features and am very impressed. I'm going to install it on the GLHS as the LM has decided to stop controlling the second stage of boost anyway. Once I get it figured out it will wind up on the "Special Purpose" project.

Tony Hanna
07-09-2006, 09:22 PM
I read through the instruction manual for the turbosmart controller and wasn't all that impressed. Some of the features were pretty nice, but they left out some things that (in my opinion) should have been included to be worth the price. My main gripe was the lack of additional outputs. 1 just isn't enough.
Say for example you're running alky injection, an intercooler sprayer and nitrous. It would be really handy to be able to adjust the setpoints for all 3 devices from inside the car, but with that controller you're limited to 1. Plus there's no off point so if you wanted your intercooler sprayer to turn on at a preset pressure and back off a couple psi after your alcohol injection came on, you'd be s.o.l. Also, multi-stage alky or extra injector setups are pretty much a no-go.
I think I'll save my $500 and stick with the home brew electronic boost controllers I build out of boost control/canister purge solenoids. Sure, I have to get under the hood to make adjustmants, but even with the turbosmart unit, I'd be under the hood adjusting pressure switches anyway.
Just my .02
edit: a couple other features that would be nice for something in that price range would be an input that would monitor voltage from a wideband o2 setup and drop the boost if it fell below a user defined point. A knock sensor input wouldn't be bad either.

glhs875
07-09-2006, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=glhs875]

I just got my eBoost2 unit last week. I've been going thru the setup and features and am very impressed. I'm going to install it on the GLHS as the LM has decided to stop controlling the second stage of boost anyway. Once I get it figured out it will wind up on the "Special Purpose" project.

How are the stages activated? How does the fwd and or drag race mode function?

glhs875
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I read through the instruction manual for the turbosmart controller and wasn't all that impressed. Some of the features were pretty nice, but they left out some things that (in my opinion) should have been included to be worth the price. My main gripe was the lack of additional outputs. 1 just isn't enough.
Say for example you're running alky injection, an intercooler sprayer and nitrous. It would be really handy to be able to adjust the setpoints for all 3 devices from inside the car, but with that controller you're limited to 1. Plus there's no off point so if you wanted your intercooler sprayer to turn on at a preset pressure and back off a couple psi after your alcohol injection came on, you'd be s.o.l. Also, multi-stage alky or extra injector setups are pretty much a no-go.
I think I'll save my $500 and stick with the home brew electronic boost controllers I build out of boost control/canister purge solenoids. Sure, I have to get under the hood to make adjustmants, but even with the turbosmart unit, I'd be under the hood adjusting pressure switches anyway.
Just my .02

Being able to run adj. multiple stages without flipping switches or any thing accurately and consistently is what Iam looking for. I plan on grounding the stage wires with MSD rpm switches triggered by the speed sensor or something similar. I do that now, but boost control is limited, and a little irradict. My alky setup has it's own adj. progessive controller. It also has an overboost shutdown feature that I like. The Turbosmart will be very similar to the home built setup I have now, only more simple and computer controlled which should be way more accurate. The boost pressure output can be used on my combo to activate My MSD retard (I use a 2bar cal) instead of the hobbs switch I use now. That will also simplify things even more. I'm about to really talk myself into this thing!

Tony Hanna
07-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Being able to run adj. multiple stages without flipping switches or any thing accurately and consistently is what Iam looking for. I plan on grounding the stage wires with MSD rpm switches triggered by the speed sensor or something similar. I do that now, but boost control is limited, and a little irradict. My alky setup has it's own adj. progessive controller. It also has an overboost shutdown feature that I like. The Turbosmart will be very similar to the home built setup I have now, only more simple and computer controlled which should be way more accurate. The boost pressure output can be used on my combo to activate My MSD retard (I use a 2bar cal) instead of the hobbs switch I use now. That will also simplify things even more. I'm about to really talk myself into this thing!

If it does what you need it to then that's cool. My main point was that they could have included some really useful features for the price. Add some extra outputs (at least 4 total), an input for wbo2 voltage so you can set it to drop boost during a lean condition, an input for a knock sensor so you can set it to drop boost in the event of detonation, and an input for tps voltage so you can limit boost based on throttle position to aid traction, then I'd be standing in line to pay $500 for one. As it is now, it's a $200-$250 unit (in my opinion).

glhs875
07-10-2006, 08:02 AM
If it does what you need it to then that's cool. My main point was that they could have included some really useful features for the price. Add some extra outputs (at least 4 total), an input for wbo2 voltage so you can set it to drop boost during a lean condition, an input for a knock sensor so you can set it to drop boost in the event of detonation, and an input for tps voltage so you can limit boost based on throttle position to aid traction, then I'd be standing in line to pay $500 for one. As it is now, it's a $200-$250 unit (in my opinion).

That would AWESOME to have those features!! But there's not one out there like that, that I know of.

powermaxx
07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=powermaxx]

How are the stages activated? How does the fwd and or drag race mode function?

If you can read a PDF file I can send you the manual. Send me your email addy (PM).

BTW: What you see on thier website is a down revision instruction manual. They've added new features (software not hardware such as more switched outputs).

I didn't need any additional outputs so it's fine with me (class limits me to one power adder anyway). But having it tied into an O2 or a knock sensor would be great. They do have overboost shut down and the software setpoints and conditions are kind of mind boggling (I'm still reading up on it...)

Tony Hanna
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
That would AWESOME to have those features!! But there's not one out there like that, that I know of.

I wish there was. Maybe then I wouldn't be pulling over all the time to get under the hood and mess with pressure switches, bleeds, and the like.
If I had the knowledge to design, build, and market a controller with the features I listed, you can bet I'd sell them all day long at considerably less than what the comprable models cost. I'd take the approach of building the best on the market and making my money on volume of sales rather than outrageous markup. That's all wishful thinking though. More likely somebody will eventually build something with all or most of the features I want and I'll buy one. Until then I'll keep doing things the oldschool TD way.:thumb:

87csx2.4
07-14-2006, 11:53 PM
http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/boost.htmThis is the one I was gonna run brian I believe its for motorcycles only though.

glhs875
07-15-2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/boost.htmThis is the one I was gonna run brian I believe its for motorcycles only though.

That one is looking pretty good as well. How much is that puppy?

David Bohrer
07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
That looks like the Innovative unit rebadged.

Speedeuphoria
08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
So that looks to be the best one so far(or most expensive)
I am looking for a traction aid boost controller that would include a gear/rpm settings and a linear ramp to the next preset. We need to get more input on some of these but many people don't use them.

Rampage16V
08-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I have a apexi AVC-R boost controller dropped in my lap to install. There is no instructions on any turbo dodge specific applications anyone out there ever install one?
Any tips?