PDA

View Full Version : Thrush turbo mufflers vs XX brand, any difference?

john1320
03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Advance has a sale on the Thrush units right now, and i'm tempted to pick one up for my father's n/a Rampage. Any noted differences or personal experiences with these or Summit's?
We're going for better flow and sound, nothing spectacular.
Anyone have a suggestion on what works best for n/a with 2.25"
The Rampage is Weber carb'd, and my Daytona is TBI (thinking of one for mine too)
Thanks

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
I love Flowmasters, seriously. Superturbo's sound good too. The Thrush units should also be just fine, :nod:

Orangetona
03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Not sure how itll sound on a rampage but on my Grand Am 3.4L it had a metal ring sound. Not too bad sounding but I changed it for a dynomax camaro/firebird type. Sounded way better.

Not really helping this thread but oh well.

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
They sound OK on a turbo car, untill thay rust inside (northern thing) and you blow them up with high boost :D

I'd guess on an N/A car they would be more raspy, maybe a tad loud? check out Thrush or Dynomax's site, they might have sound clips?

turbovanmanČ
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
They sound OK on a turbo car, untill thay rust inside (northern thing) and you blow them up with high boost :D

I'd guess on an N/A car they would be more raspy, maybe a tad loud? check out Thrush or Dynomax's site, they might have sound clips?

If you get the right one, Flowmasters on any engine sound good, even n/a Honda's, :wow1:

BadAssPerformance
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
After having 2 flowmasters rot out (read: the back of the muffler case fell off) on my old Dak I'm really not a fan... not to mention when I had it on that Dak I always heard a 5.0L mustang following me around, LOL

john1320
03-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Just got back from town tonite. I picked up a pair of thrush mufflers for $50 out the door. I figure has to be the same or better price vs one dynomax?
I may take mine back though, depending on how it sounds on the rampage. My father was just excited to have a non-oem muffler, so that made my day!
I guess i will be the one to post a video here when its done next week (edit:2weeks), so everyone cross your fingers!

I was hoping someone had tried another brand (summit, jegs, etc..) of the same style. No worries though- and thank you simon, badass, and orange for your feedback. ^^

Orangetona
03-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Sounds good.

You gonna video clip it? That would be cool

EDIT: I didnt read, guess you are gonna get video. Very cool! :)

turbovanmanČ
03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Never had an FM rot per say, but now, they are also stainless so that should help.

John, can't wait for the vid, :nod:

bris09
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Simon, I pulled the Flowmasters off of the Mach for two reasons. First was they were starting to rust pretty bad and the second was to get rid of the drone. I loved the sound in town but couldn't stand the drone on the highway. It was making my headliner rattle. I switched to the SS Borlas. The car is deffinitely louder w/ the Borlas but no drone and the entire system is SS again.

4 l-bodies
03-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I switched to the SS Borlas. The car is deffinitely louder w/ the Borlas but no drone and the entire system is SS again.
I put on a Borla 2.5" muffler on my GLHT about 24 years ago. That car now has a 3" exhaust system on it. Now the same Borla is on my new to me 85 NY'er. Still looks great and sounds great after 24 years!!!

john1320
04-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I do love the Borla sound, on many applications. Keep in mind this is mainly a comparison of budget-ish mufflers in our N/A four bangers.. If price were no object, that's another subject for another thread, lol!

Update: should be shooting vid on the 16th, day of installation at 2.2turboscotty's place.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Simon, I pulled the Flowmasters off of the Mach for two reasons. First was they were starting to rust pretty bad and the second was to get rid of the drone. I loved the sound in town but couldn't stand the drone on the highway. It was making my headliner rattle. I switched to the SS Borlas. The car is deffinitely louder w/ the Borlas but no drone and the entire system is SS again.

I agree on the drone but it depends on what muffler you choose. My 98 Jimmy, 4.3 V6, I've tried Magnaflow, Ultraflo, Edelbrocks, and others and nothing came close the sound of the FM, the others just sound blah, lol. I've used a 2 chamber but the drone killed my ears, 3 chamber was better but I know run a 3 chamber with the DF, it barks but no drone, love it, :nod:

168glhs1986
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I have a Thrush Muffler and I think it sounds awesome. I have a 3" downpipe and Magnaflow Cat to go with it.

john1320
04-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I think you may have a turbo since you mentioned a 3" downpipe, which will sound much different than my catless N/A. Are you chambered or turbo style?

john1320
04-17-2011, 01:40 PM
OK I have video on the camera, just need to get it transferred over to the PC. Bear with me as my sony usb cable is on order.
Driving around with this muffler is interesting. It's quiet like stock when not under heavy load or acceleration. While under load and accel, it's really "tinny and raspy" sounding, but not loud. Idle sounds very nice! The Rampage is VERY happy with the new exhaust, no more heavy restrictions or exhaust braking off pedal- just rolls.

We are STILL too heavily jetted on the Weber BUT, we can actually open up the secondary all the way to the floor, and no loading up now, she just scoots!
I will have to go another direction in the 2.5TBI Daytona, perhaps chambered and resonated- as the sound fitted the 'Page fine, but will make the Tona sound funny.