PDA

View Full Version : Spool

StockerDaytona
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello All, I am new to the forum so I thought I would say hi. I have a question I would like to ask. Has any one ever tried a spool in the 413? This is a race only car, no street use at all. Any comments?

Bardo
07-07-2006, 03:42 PM
not to sure what your asking???

The S is Silent
07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Race car only, or drag car only? By spool, you basically mean replacing the pinion gears in the diff with a solid piece...kinda like welding the pinion gears solid, right? If that is the case, you will not be able to turn for crap.

altered7151
07-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I believe Stephane is running one in his SMP drag car. You would have to have one built as there aren't any pre manufactured units out there. I checked into having one built a couple years ago, the machining wouldn't be difficult, but the splining and heat treat was a little spendy, not horrible but a little more than I was willing to spend at the time. There are people running locked diffs on the street, but they're sketchy at best. But if you're going full drag I'd say go for it, as long as you can make the return road on the top end you're good. You might have to move it around with a floorjack in the pits but thats the price you pay right. If you're not making insane hp you could also probably get away with the OBX diff.

StockerDaytona
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Sorry, by race only I mean drag race only. Yes, I realize there will be a cost involved but that's the price you pay to go fast. My question is more about the driveability of the car than than the mechanics. I have driven many drag cars with spools in the rear but never one with the spool in the front. I am putting my RWD NHRA Stocker away for a while and am currently working on the FWD Stocker. I am having a custom ring and pinion built for this car and if a spool will work I will have one built as well. I am guessing that if no one has one, no one would really know how it would drive?

altered7151
07-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I've driven a Honda with a welded up diff, you would definitally be able to get around at the track, but would have to plan out your turns in advance. If you have a windy return road or staging lanes it can tend to be a challenge. The trick seemed to be to turn it in the direction you want and jab the throttle, if you eased on the gas it would tend to slide alot me than turn. More of a "Steer it and stab it" in the lanes, and "Stab it and steer" on the track :)

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2163&highlight=spool