PDA

View Full Version : hey guys...

93DakSpoR/T
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
i didnt notice a newb section so i figured i would put this post in the custom section.... i have a 93 dakota sport with a 3.9 v6.... i'm toying with the idea of throwing a set of twins on it.... (not with the motor still being stock) just came here looking for any info you guys can give me.... :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the Forum! :thumb:

I love 2G Dak's and thought about a twin turbo as well.. the 5.9L is doing fine as it is tho :D

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/dakotasport/08/ds-front-q2.jpg

Vigo
03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
(not with the motor still being stock)

Why not? A stock motor + boost, with good tuning, will make more power than you can hook up, by a long shot. Take a few hundred bucks out of whatever you were planning to spend on the motor and buy a limited slip instead.

I also got love for the 2g dakotas. My fiancee is driving a 96. I also picked up a neat-looking 1g 87 that im considering turboing. :)

93DakSpoR/T
03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
well... the stock motor has 180k on it.... im gonna pick an "extra" 3.9.... have it bored .030 over.... get a modded kegger, somewhere around a 50-52mm throttle body.... a hughes cam.... have a buddy i thats an excellent welder so i'm gonna talk to him about building the headers for me, or re-working the manifolds.... also plan on swapping out the 8.25 for an 8.75.... it has an ax-15 in it now... but im thinking about running either a built 904 or 727.... if i can find a "parts" truck with a good motor i'll probably use it to do the mock up for the whole turbo setup.... anyone have any suggestions on type of turbo i should use?

Vigo
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
The modified intake, throttle body, and cam are good money on the motor and well help whether it's turbo or not, so no arguments there. The rear end upgrade is a good idea, but still.. make sure and get a limited slip.

I think the ax-15 can handle a good bit of power. Remember, traction breaks things, not power. Are you switching to auto JUST out of durability concerns?

As for using a parts truck to mock up the whole setup, sounds like a decent idea if the current truck is your only transportation and you need/want a parts car anyway. I found a running 95 parts dak with no title for $300 and drove it home about 2 years ago.

But i would also suggest building and running the turbo setup on whatever motor you have and not just wait for a new motor. There are tuning mistakes that can be made that will aggravate you less if they blow up your old motor versus your brand new one. And personally, i dont see why you'd even want a different motor if you're just rebuilding it with stock pistons/rods (which i think is all you need anyway). Does your motor have good compression? Put some new rod bearings in it and go to town!

As for turbo selection, it sort of depends.. Mostly on your power goal, the type of driving you want to do, and cam and converter selection are related too, so you want to have them all figured out before you buy anything.

RoadWarrior222
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
The internet told me that stock 5.2s run 8 psi if you slap it together, crack at 10psi if you don't tune, and 12psi long term with very careful tuning. So you could figure similar on a 3.9... but the internet also told me it likes Justin Bieber so I dunno how reliable that is.

dodgeshadowchik
03-24-2011, 08:31 AM
The internet told me that stock 5.2s run 8 psi if you slap it together, crack at 10psi if you don't tune, and 12psi long term with very careful tuning. So you could figure similar on a 3.9... but the internet also told me it likes Justin Bieber so I dunno how reliable that is.

These seems to be the general rule for anything N/A going to turbo. I bet it has something to do with the stock fuel system on N/A cars, as well.

Vigo
03-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, most motors make a hell of a lot more power per lb of boost than does an 8v turbo dodge, for example, while each individual cylinder is usually way less durable. We've seen people making 400whp+on stock bottom ends.. but there's no way a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum could take 800+whp on the stock bottom end, the rods and possibly even crank wouldnt take it.

And a 5.2 with basic mods and 12psi on a nice setup is probably in the 500hp range. Most of the 'old' v8s seem to need something on the bottom end to get past 500hp reliably.

a 3.9 on 12 psi should easily make 350hp (@4800 :p) and a bucket of torque. Itll be faster than an n/a 350hp 5.2 or 5.9.

BadAssPerformance
03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
a 3.9 on 12 psi should easily make 350hp (@4800 :p) and a bucket of torque. Itll be faster than an n/a 350hp 5.2 or 5.9.

Untill the rods come out :eek: .... OK, ok, I guess as long as you dont over rev it that will be ok ;)

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Or go crazy with the boost, :p

Vigo
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
... OK, ok, I guess as long as you dont over rev it that will be ok

As long as he doesnt move the stock 5200 rpm rev limiter it'll probably be ok.. :p