PDA

View Full Version : Difference between lock up and non lockup pump?

69viper
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to diagnose the reason why my 413 trans is burning up the clutches in the rear drum.
I have been setting the clutch pack clearance at 0.035". Maybe the clearance is too tight?

I'm running a lockup pump with a solid input shaft with 2 seals and 1 oiling hole. Could this cause a leak of some kind that would cause the clutch pack to be slipping? Is there a difference between a lockup and non lockup pump?

Thanks,
Steve

69viper
03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
I tried checking the pressures in the "line pressure" and "low-reverse" ports. They both aren't showing any pressure. The "low-reverse" port is showing around 220 psi in reverse but nothing in the drive gears. I have a cheetah Turbo Action manual valve body. Has anyone else been able to check pressures with this valve body?

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
That is a bit tight, as that clutch freewheels most of the time. Do you have extra plates in it? The pumps are all the same between LU and non LU, internals are the same except for the input shaft and the vb solenoid and a couple of solenoids.

FWIW, I've never burnt up 3rd. Did you turn the line pressure up. You need to use fitting next to the the cooler return fitting-kickdown apply port, read in 2nd gear, should read line pressure, which is around 52-88 psi depending on load and stock, it of course will be higher if you've turned it up. Reverse should be around 180-300 psi. The plug underneath the return cooler fitting is the 3rd gear clutch.

69viper
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
That is a bit tight, as that clutch freewheels most of the time. Do you have extra plates in it? The pumps are all the same between LU and non LU, internals are the same except for the input shaft and the vb solenoid and a couple of solenoids.

FWIW, I've never burnt up 3rd. Did you turn the line pressure up. You need to use fitting next to the the cooler return fitting-kickdown apply port, read in 2nd gear, should read line pressure, which is around 52-88 psi depending on load and stock, it of course will be higher if you've turned it up. Reverse should be around 180-300 psi. The plug underneath the return cooler fitting is the 3rd gear clutch.

It is the rear clutch drum (the one with the input shaft) that is burning the frictions up. It looks as though this drum should be locked up for all forward gears. It must be slipping for some reason. Low pressure? Leak? The valve body must block the passages heading to the accumulator, thus giving no pressure to the test ports.

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
It is the rear clutch drum (the one with the input shaft) that is burning the frictions up. It looks as though this drum should be locked up for all forward gears. It must be slipping for some reason. Low pressure? Leak? The valve body must block the passages heading to the accumulator, thus giving no pressure to the test ports.

Ahh, in that case then, .035" is fine.

Weird, never burned that clutch out either.

Yeah, I would assume the manual VB blocks that accumulator port as they don't use it, of course.

If you want to call me, maybe we can figure out some ideas.

S