PDA

View Full Version : Affordable TIG suggestions?

ShadowFromHell
03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Im looking for suggestions for a affordable TIG that can weld mild steel and aluminum. I'm wanting to be able to modify IC's, mod intake mani's, and build turbo manifolds. Not looking do anything real heavy like welding frames or anything like that. I should be coming into some money in a month or two, and would like to splurge a little and buy a TIG. I want something of enough quality, that I could possibly maybe offer some parts to our community down the road (I'm thinking modded 1 piece intakes), But mostly build things for myself.

Thanks
Dustin

Mopar318
03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
What is your budget?

I bought a Lincoln 225 Precision brand new with the cart and everything needed besides the tank for $2000 including freight. If you want to modify intakes, the aluminum is pretty thick, and you will probally want AT LEAST 200 amps.

1966 dart wagon
03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Since reading other threads and yours I'm also intrested, I say a tig welder in eastwoods mag for 800 bucks

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

900 my bad:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-ac-dc-tig-200-welder.html

shackwrrr
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Since reading other threads and yours I'm also intrested, I say a tig welder in eastwoods mag for 800 bucks

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

900 my bad:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-ac-dc-tig-200-welder.html

Seems like a decent alternative since it has a pedal and HF start. But Im not sure about the switch for the HF start.

1966 dart wagon
03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
i was wondering if you could expand it to use a thumb adjuster vs a foot petal, didnt see much on the site though.

ShadowFromHell
03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
What is your budget?

I bought a Lincoln 225 Precision brand new with the cart and everything needed besides the tank for $2000 including freight. If you want to modify intakes, the aluminum is pretty thick, and you will probally want AT LEAST 200 amps.

Thanks for the info on the amps. I have never TIG welded, so I have no idea what I need. I am mostly self taught on MIGing steel and MIG spoolgunning aluminum thou, so I am planning on just figuring it out as I go. I hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

That eastwood unit looks nice, but I wonder who makes it for them? I wonder if its a no-name chinese unit with their sticker, or if another welder company is making it for them. Do you guys know anyone that has used/owns one? After pricing these out I may just buy the stuff to add a spoolgun to my dads miller 135, as I can use it whenever I want and he lives 10 miles away. I really wanted a tig though, I dont want to build a intake and be chasing leaks, same goes for exhaust mani's.

Mopar318
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Specs on that eastwood:

•Input voltage: single phase 110 or 220 VAC (+/- 15%) @ 50-60Hz
•Input amperage: 28 amp
•Output amperage: 10-200amp AC/DC
•No-load voltage: 51
•AC duty cycle (%): 20-80 (80% at 100 amp- 20% at 200 amp)
• Pulse duty cycle (%): 10-90
•Post gas flow: 2-8 sec
•Pre gas flow: 0.1-1 sec
•Remote foot pedal and control: yes
•Efficiency: (%): 80
•Weight: 44lbs
•The cleaning/clearance effect (AC balance control) of our unit is adjustable to provide wider cleaning with shallow penetration to narrow cleaning with deeper penetration. Changing electrode from EN (electrode negative) to EP (electrode positive
)•The frequency is fixed at 60Hz which provides a little wider bead but with good penetration for aluminum and magnesium.
•Our Tig 200 is constructed with inverter and MOSFET technology for optimum performance at a very affordable price.

Not a big fan of the fixed frequency. Input amperage is low. Comes with a 220 to 110 adapater...haha are they kidding me? Foot pedal looks very un-natural to use. I dont see anything about being able to switch between A/C, DC-, and DC+ either.
I did days of research before buying my welder. I was only 19, and used every penny in my bank account to buy it, so I wasn't just throwing money at something.

shackwrrr
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Specs on that eastwood:

•Input voltage: single phase 110 or 220 VAC (+/- 15%) @ 50-60Hz
•Input amperage: 28 amp
•Output amperage: 10-200amp AC/DC
•No-load voltage: 51
•AC duty cycle (%): 20-80 (80% at 100 amp- 20% at 200 amp)
• Pulse duty cycle (%): 10-90
•Post gas flow: 2-8 sec
•Pre gas flow: 0.1-1 sec
•Remote foot pedal and control: yes
•Efficiency: (%): 80
•Weight: 44lbs
•The cleaning/clearance effect (AC balance control) of our unit is adjustable to provide wider cleaning with shallow penetration to narrow cleaning with deeper penetration. Changing electrode from EN (electrode negative) to EP (electrode positive
)•The frequency is fixed at 60Hz which provides a little wider bead but with good penetration for aluminum and magnesium.
•Our Tig 200 is constructed with inverter and MOSFET technology for optimum performance at a very affordable price.

Not a big fan of the fixed frequency. Input amperage is low. Comes with a 220 to 110 adapater...haha are they kidding me? Foot pedal looks very un-natural to use. I dont see anything about being able to switch between A/C, DC-, and DC+ either.
I did days of research before buying my welder. I was only 19, and used every penny in my bank account to buy it, so I wasn't just throwing money at something.

You change the polarity by moving the cables, AC by a switch.

I see in the specs it says that it is an inverter, I dont see how that could be since its fairly large, and they use Puretung which I thought that you shouldn't use on inverter machines.

omni_840
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
The Eastwood unit is definately imported....If thats not a huge concern a company named Everlast makes some pretty affordable TIG welders w/ pulse function and digital display. They are around $1100 (I've not personally used one but some guys on the welding forum I frequent like them and some die hard red or blue guys won't touch them I want an HTP TIG welder but they aren't cheap.

1966 dart wagon
03-15-2011, 11:51 PM
after reviewing the petal it does look quite un natural, I would think something like a wah effect petal for a guitar would be much better. but hey trying to keep it cheaper.

Mopar318
03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
There also is not much included with that welders. You need a regulator, lines, and a rolling cart.

It also says it weighs 44lbs. Mine weight 212, and they are close to the same amperage.

shackwrrr
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
There also is not much included with that welders. You need a regulator, lines, and a rolling cart.

It also says it weighs 44lbs. Mine weight 212, and they are close to the same amperage.

well, maybe it is an inverter welder being that light.

wallace
03-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Watch out for the cheap welders. Look at the rated duty cycle, it is a good indicator of the quality of the components. If it doesn't need to be portable you could look at the older machines before the inverter technology came out. They are usually 300 amp and 100% dc, the downside is they are very heavy. Also, everything is expensive for the tig welder so try and get a complete package if you can the stuff adds up very quickly. Make sure you can provide the amperage in your shop/garage to run the welder if you want to do aluminum I would think minimum 50 amps. HTH.

OnLooker
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
With it being an inverter unit it weights a lot less then a regular welder. It has a 110 to 220 adapter cause ti can run off both, there are a number of other big name inverter units that can also do this.

ShadowFromHell
03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone have any more insight on these everlast welders? This doesnt look to bad, and I would love to have a plasma. http://cgi.ebay.com/200A-AC-DC-TIG-ARC-PULSE-WELDER-50A-PLASMA-CUTTER-200A_W0QQitemZ320635121299QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11374 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shackwrrr
03-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Anyone have any more insight on these everlast welders? This doesnt look to bad, and I would love to have a plasma. http://cgi.ebay.com/200A-AC-DC-TIG-ARC-PULSE-WELDER-50A-PLASMA-CUTTER-200A_W0QQitemZ320635121299QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11374 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it has the potential to be a nice unit but I would read some reviews.

It has the big plusses for a tig like HF start and a pedal. It also has all the adjustments that you would ever need.

I would read all the reviews that you can though

ShadowFromHell
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Everything I have read on it, it looks really good. It seems to be a imported unit, but instead of "selling and running" like most of the people that sell chinese stuff, they have built a business around their welders. I read they have a 5 year warranty, and have a pretty good support line/team. Ive read 4 or 5 different articles on them, and all were good!

Nemesismachine
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Nothing saying you couldn't buy an older Miller or Lincoln rig.

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1134/Other/post/2154590/Tig-welder.html

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1268/Power_tools/post/2094030/Welder-tig-stick-.html

Used a friends Millermatic 350, would sell a kidney for one of those.

tkelly27
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
We just got the Everlast 250. My friend has one and I got to try it out. On most of their products the number in the part name is the max amps and they run at 60% duty cycle. They use seimens for the electronics and have them put together in China. My family had been looking for a TIG for about a year now. Knowing what it cost, as soon as I ran a bead with it, I was on the phone with my dad to get one.

You're likely not going to be doing aerospace stuff with it, but if you're doing that kind of work you're not asking about the price tag.

We also have the 70A plasma cutter, and so far I couldn't be happier with it. It came out of the box and 15 min later I was cutting lawnmower blades like a sharp knife through a piece of paper. That was at 60% power too! It even has hookups for being run as a CNC, which I just may do.

I can't speak to the longevity, and unfortunately the company has only been around as long as their warranty. I guess it was a bit of a gamble, but my friend has been using his a lot over the last month, and there have been no problems and everything is as described.

When I have one I expect to use it a lot, and I expect to let my friends use it a lot, so I can let you know how it holds up.

Ondonti
06-06-2011, 06:38 AM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/tls/2412805644.html
Does this seem stolen or just a bunch of crap stuff?

Edit, lol I think that looks like the harbor freight TIG.

Then this Miller 350P that has been used for 4 years and is still...2800+
& its MIG :P
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/2422386588.html

Then this Everlast. Looks sketchy to me. Lot of money for something that maybe nobody can fix.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/tls/2411094967.html

Ondonti
06-06-2011, 06:52 AM
http://www.weldfabulous.com/Miller-907308001-Syncrowave/Welders/Tig/Miller-Electric-p5181346.html
Amperage is not very high.

What is a good Amp rating. These TIG ad's for millers don't seem to help you figure out what they are capable of.

This 250 DX which comes with nothing

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Miller-907194-Syncrowave-250/Welders/Tig/Miller-Electric-p6582745.html

For a welder like this I am thinking buying right and buying once is a good idea.

BadAssPerformance
06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
What is a good Amp rating. These TIG ad's for millers don't seem to help you figure out what they are capable of.

Go to Miller's website for info, the retailers usually dont list as much... there is also a Miller Welding forum

Syncrowave 250 will do about anything you can imagine TIG'ing... even the old 1993 model I have it amazing... If you never plan to do thicker material the Diversion 180 has newer inverter technology and will cost less new than my old SW250

tkelly27
06-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Wouldn't get a used everlast.

Seems hit or miss with these things. My friend uses his all the time and there is no problems. Mine didn't really work all that well out of the box. I sent it back, they are supposed to send me a new one. It's a bit of pulling teeth to get the new one out of them. It's been 2 weeks since mine got to them. I won't have to pay for any of the shipping, and they are talking about giving me a partial refund. I'll know more tomorrow.

The torch and pedal are really cheap, but it looks like that is the standard for most TIGs. A nicer torch and pedal are relatively cheap and basically plug in.

wallace
06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
This is the same machine I use. It works very well. It doesn't have the balance control like some of the higher amperage units does. It will weld 1/4" thick aluminum but it takes everything the machine has and pre-heating is a must. I agree with Ondonti I would buy a used name brand welder, you get what you pay for. http://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/2438658634.html

fishcleaner
06-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I bought a Miller Diversion 165 and it has done everything I've asked it to do even tho I don't know much, paid $1200 new and never looked back.

shayne
08-03-2011, 11:43 PM
go miller, if you have the cash. i run them at home and at work exclusively. i find that my millers provide a more stable arc and more consistent power output than any of the lincolns ive worked with. with tig welders you definately get what you pay for. if you want professional quality you got to pay a professional price. there is no free lunch to be had. plus if you buy a good machine that works well you can use it to make money for yourself there is always someone who needs welding done, plus most tig welders can be used as arc welders too, soo.. any local farmers or? that need work done, hint hint. i have always been a fan of making my machines work for me, not the other way around. and if you get anything near 200 amp, spent the money and get 3 series torch and consumables due to the smaller 2 series and especially 1 series or less being much less heat resilient. once your torch gets heat soaked you dramatically reduce its lifespan not to mention your collets will melt way more often. and 3 series will work with 90%+ for the jobs you may do with it.

Moparbaby
10-22-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm a 20yr old fitter/welder, and I ran all the big boy names, but I have heard good stories on them cheap harbor freight jobs (make sure u get a warranty tho) it all depends of the usage of the unit. if your gonna turn it on every few months, there's no point of dumping $1000's into a higher quality machine. But if you are looking for a quality machine, cant go wrong with a blue, red, or even yellow. Save some money and look into used units, and if you got the room for a pre-inverter machine, cant go wrong with those dinosaurs they never die