PDA

View Full Version : No spark 7 years in cold storage

looneytuner
07-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I[m resurrecting an 85 GTS after 8 years of sitting. OUTSIDE To give you an idea, the rear drums were rusted to the shoes with wasp nest inside the drums.
The problem is no spark. I have fuel after running injector cleaner down the fuel line to the pump. I have no spark at the coil wire. I have greased the power module connectors, the hep connectors. It has new cap and rotor. I can switch coils later today.
I figured I would ask about what else to do. I just realized I should also grease the lm connectors. The asd is good since the fuel pump runs. What is the single wire from the pos battery post on the 85? It has a connector about 6" from the bat terminal. I noticed that is REALLY corroded. Still haven't found the snake that left an old skin in the door.

Frank
07-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Change the coil.... i could have broken down and failed internally.

Frank

The S is Silent
07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
If you are getting power to the fuel pump, then the connector on the positive cable shouldn't be your problem. The same connector was corroded on my van, and it would cause an intermittent loss of all electrical systems. You should still clean it, but I don't think it's the problem. Scratch that...mine was on the negative terminal. You should be able to unplug the positive one while the car is running and stay running off the charging system. I'd clean it anyways just to be sure.

Oh yeah...I'm pretty sure that connector just lets you isolate the starter subharness from the rest of the wiring harness so you can remove things easier. Clean these connectors on both the positive and the negative battery cable.

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Check the codes....... If there are none, then throw on a coil if you have one laying around. If you have a tach, the needle should bounce slightly when cranking to say that the PM is good. This is kinda touchy though. Your's may not bounce even when things are right.......

looneytuner
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
In the future, if you send a mouse experiments up, include mouse traps.:nod:
Alvin ate the wires to the fuel pump and the fuel gauge. I hope the snake enjoyed him:evil: I guess the gas was from the engine vac when cranking. Now I get to pull the rear seat. Gee glad I have a spare harness. If I find the snake I'll thank him for eating Alvin.:D

looneytuner
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
fixed the wiring and the fuel pump is bad. So it's time to install the 255 in the silver one and use that one in the 85.

looneytuner
07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
fixed the wiring and the fuel pump is bad. So it's time to install the 255 in the silver one and use that one in the 85.
I took the parts from the bad pump and used them for the Walbro. Installed the good one in the 85. Have fuel still no spark. Time to grease the grounds and injector wiring.

GLHSKEN
07-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Hang in there

looneytuner
07-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Installed good hep. Got rid of code 54. No start yet. check some more connections found two between bat and power module that were rotted. Simple slide connectors. replaced them. no start.
I'm thinking I need to hook up a test light to coil to see if it's getting signal from distributor. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the fuel rail and see if the injectors are squirting. The rail is pressurizing. I pulled the injectors and they were clicking, but I don't know if they are gunked up from residue.
Off to minimopar and see what the corroded pink and blue wires are for and trace the wiring from dist to coil.