PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Dakota ?

AspenR/T
03-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Just picked up a 90 4 banger dakota with 103 on the clock looking for advice and ins and outs of turbocharging this truck what factory part can i use ? Oh shes a 5 speed also

Thanks in Advance !

moparman76_69
03-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Not to sound like an --- or anything but the search button is your friend, there are several threads about either current or completed projects.

AspenR/T
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
on this site ?

bfarroo
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Lots of posts out there. Type it into the search box at the top right Should get something like this
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/search.php?searchid=108279
Read away

AspenR/T
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Your link says "Sorry no matches" LOL !

moparman76_69
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
search for dakota

You'll find threads like this

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?47763-Gen-2-4-cyl-Turbo-Dakota-Sighting&highlight=dakota

bfarroo
03-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Huh, when I posted it I clicked on it to check and it worked. But yeah, just type it in the search box and read through the posts. Then post away with any other questions. A few things to think about. The older trans aren't as strong as the 94-95 AX15. The rear ends tend to be weak also with the 7 1/4 although some supposedly have a limited slip. Some sort of electronics upgrade will need to be done either lay a TM harness over the stock harness or go with a stand alone. If starting with a turbo motor the intake will have to be modified. The factory turbo is also oriented in the wrong direction with the exhaust toward the front and the intake toward the back. I was able to barely fit a Mitsu in mine with a lot of snaking of tubing. All you can do is jump in and have at it. It all depends on your abilities. I dropped a turbo motor in mine and had it running in 2 weeks. It's not pretty but it's been running for 3 or 4 years now DD'd for a summer while my spirit was down also towing my shadow in the winter on a dolly. Even towed my daytona back from Chicago after it died on the way to SDAC last year.

moparman76_69
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
He has a 90 so it already has the in tank pump, the 255 pumps for all other pre 90 TDs fit the dakota also. My truck was a carb so I need to get the later fuel tank. I used a caravan harness and repinned it and I'm going to pin in the rear harness connections. I have a FSM for an 87 which is the year mine is and found a 89 minivan pinout somewhere. I have the file still. Other than that modified intake, and custom header with a standard T3 flange made so the turbo will be upside down from stock. I know others have used factory turbo manis but the intake and exhaust have to criss cross for it to work. Mines an on again off again project and it is currently on again.

gears351
03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
On my 90 I made a SS spacer for the stock exhaust manifold that moved the turbo about 3" away from the block, Swiveled the compressor & turbine housings 180 (now the center section is backwards from the stock FWD setup) fabbed a reversed flange (ran mitsu as the swingvalve is integral to the housing rather than the flange) ran a 3" flex downpipe into dual 2&1/2's that go over the frame and under the bed - out the side of the bed in front of the rear wheels on the passenger side. Intake is a 1pc that I lopped the snout off of, knocked the casting plug out the back & welded the snout there - Saab 9000 intercooler sits nicely infront of the stock radiator.

Couple things to watch -
1. the FWD crank doesn't have provisions for a pilot bearing/bushing so stick with a truck crank
2. if you use a car block the front isn't drilled and tapped for the truck mount.

AspenR/T
03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks Guys lot to think about and some great info !

Mr.Mopar
03-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Just picked up a 90 4 banger dakota with 103 on the clock looking for advice and ins and outs of turbocharging this truck what factory part can i use ? Oh shes a 5 speed also

Thanks in Advance !

Why not a turbocharged Aspen R/T? ;)

moparman76_69
03-30-2011, 06:09 AM
1. the FWD crank doesn't have provisions for a pilot bearing/bushing so stick with a truck crank
2. if you use a car block the front isn't drilled and tapped for the truck mount.

1. I'm using a 93 common block in the truck now with the truck still N/A and it works fine, that is with the older trans though
2. I drilled and tapped the drivers side mount holes easily.

AspenR/T
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
This is my sons project

sabrina
09-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the link bfarroo..

BBBDakota
10-19-2016, 04:55 AM
Ya tb flange has to be moved to the front. Good thing there's a knock out plug there. And turbo needs to be turned around.