PDA

View Full Version : well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I'll have to start up a photobucket account at some point since the administrator of the PNW-sdac decided to make it so we can't post pics here.

Specs:
2.5 using Masi CB
Custom JE's
Oliver 6.160" 570g billet steel rods 1.506vs. 1.453 rod ratio. Not much but anything helps.

NOS Masi 16v head, upgraded springs and valves (cause the stock ones suck)
GT30R turbo
Treadstone TVR25 O intercooler.

That's about it, I'll post pics and weights as things come in.

Directconnection
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Jay, you can get longer with the rods if you want the better ratio. No... I'm not going to talk you out of the 2.5 (but you know that's my opinion) Not sure how the deck height combined with rod length and stroke calculate out, but a huge majority of performance engines we build use "rails" on the pistons. If you're not familiar with it, when you relocate the compression heights (pin location) up really high for a short piston, the pin bore goes right through the oil control rings and there's no support from the piston groove as it's now gone. The rail support is a thicker ring that locate in there after the piston/rod assembly is together, then you put on your rings and expander.

Oliver rods are very kick-azz and so are JEs. I wanted JEs for my build, but at $550 for justthe pistons +$80 for rings, vs. $450 for Wiseco pistons/rings my choice was obvious. Next build I'll probably go JEs.

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Well if I have the same rev range as my 8v with stock rods I'll be happy. In the pig heavy Tona the 2.5 really is a much nicer motor to drive. The 2.2 is just too soft off idle for my liking in that car So a bit longer ratio and dropping over a lb off the rotating mass should be just fine. Yea the JE's aren't cheap, but seeing what they looked like after the abuse they've taken over the 10 years I've been learning how to tune the ECU's or had other people try and tune it I'll stick with them. Any forged pistons are nice and are much better than the stockers.

Keito
03-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Jay, you can get longer with the rods if you want the better ratio. No... I'm not going to talk you out of the 2.5 (but you know that's my opinion) Not sure how the deck height combined with rod length and stroke calculate out, but a huge majority of performance engines we build use "rails" on the pistons. If you're not familiar with it, when you relocate the compression heights (pin location) up really high for a short piston, the pin bore goes right through the oil control rings and there's no support from the piston groove as it's now gone. The rail support is a thicker ring that locate in there after the piston/rod assembly is together, then you put on your rings and expander.

Oliver rods are very kick-azz and so are JEs. I wanted JEs for my build, but at $550 for justthe pistons +$80 for rings, vs. $450 for Wiseco pistons/rings my choice was obvious. Next build I'll probably go JEs.

i was told by a friend of mine that works at Wiseco that they make pistons for JE

BadAssPerformance
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll have to start up a photobucket account at some point since the administrator of the PNW-sdac decided to make it so we can't post pics here.

Specs:
2.5 using Masi CB
Custom JE's
Oliver 6.160" 570g billet steel rods 1.506vs. 1.453 rod ratio. Not much but anything helps.

NOS Masi 16v head, upgraded springs and valves (cause the stock ones suck)
GT30R turbo
Treadstone TVR25 O intercooler.

That's about it, I'll post pics and weights as things come in.

Wierd how you cannot link them here, usually no problems linking pics here from anywhere. Feel free to post them here by attaching them to your post or putting them in our gallery. :thumb:

Interesting.... Masi 2.5L is this a first? I think the other 2.5L 16V's are either hybrid or Lotus head?

2.216VTurbo
03-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Hmmm, same head:love: *similar* turbo GT3576, fully built shortblock (Diamond's and Pauter's, and ProGram caps) yet I am de-stroking to 2l with a heavily reworked NOS IMSA crank(that took almost a year at the shop that everyone reccomended:mad:) If we both reach our goals it will be awesome, comparing Dyno sheets would be an interesting read:eyebrows:

What springs did you use, same as I did with the RDI set? Did you use the duals(this motor I did another motor I used the cups and singles) Do you have light at the end of the tunnel or no real completion date yet?

Directconnection
03-13-2011, 12:01 PM
i was told by a friend of mine that works at Wiseco that they make pistons for JE

No, JE and Wiseco are totally seperate companies. Even the pins they use are totally different.

JE and SRP are the same company.

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Wierd how you cannot link them here, usually no problems linking pics here from anywhere. Feel free to post them here by attaching them to your post or putting them in our gallery. :thumb:

Interesting.... Masi 2.5L is this a first? I think the other 2.5L 16V's are either hybrid or Lotus head?

It's not a TM thing, the administrator of the PNWSDAC site shut that option down somehow. Here's the Email we got "I did a tuneup on the gallery installation and changed a few settings with the way files are served and hotlinking are handled. We were getting about 7,500 hits a week from about 50 countries just for ---- speedtest image.
You can still post to forums but you have to use a link instead of inserting the image or photo. This helps when someone responds to your post and then all the pictures reload over and over. " names are edited out.

It might be the 1st 2.5 Masi. AFAIK it is, but then there are a lot of Masi people that hide out in the shadows it seems like.

Hmmm, same head:love: *similar* turbo GT3576, fully built shortblock (Diamond's and Pauter's, and ProGram caps) yet I am de-stroking to 2l with a heavily reworked NOS IMSA crank(that took almost a year at the shop that everyone reccomended:mad:) If we both reach our goals it will be awesome, comparing Dyno sheets would be an interesting read:eyebrows:

What springs did you use, same as I did with the RDI set? Did you use the duals(this motor I did another motor I used the cups and singles) Do you have light at the end of the tunnel or no real completion date yet?

Did you do any porting Alan? This head will be stock in that regards. I don't know if I'll mod the intake at all. I might just port the stocker for a 58mm TB and call it good.

I'm actually very interested in Juggy's T3 2.5 thread as it'll be a pretty close back to back comparison of the T3 and Masi in 2.5 configuration.

Head needs to go to Rick. I don't know what spring options I have other than that I've been told the stock springs should be replaced for any type of rpm increase. I need to get in touch with Rick and discuss it with him.

Light at the end of the tunnel? Yes. I want the car up and running by Memorial day. I'm tired of driving this Gas Guzzler of an Auto 2.2 New Yorker around. I want my 32+ city MPG Tona back on the road.

GLHNSLHT2
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm in the market for either a 89 Masi 16v crank gear or an 88 square tooth 5 bolt gear.

2.216VTurbo
03-20-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm in the market for either a 89 Masi 16v crank gear or an 88 square tooth 5 bolt gear.

Uh, what happened to yours? Is it cracked 1/2 way thru? I have one that broke that way, I just tapped the threads deeper and ran longer bolts. Still holding years later:o

GLHNSLHT2
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I have one for my Ti rodded motor, need one for the 2.5

vipernbox
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I am really interested in in the progress on this one.. As the bottom end that gets built for the spare head I have laying around is getting a 2.5 crank for sure... After October the Charger is getting a big block for sure... :)

Pictures and specs of what you came up with for pistons would be awesome!!!

(I will check the stash though and see if i don't have an 88 crank gear around.. I know I have one on the GLHS I could swap if it really came down to that "88 T2 engine in there now' )

GLHNSLHT2
03-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Picture's I'll get when they come in. As for specs that was easy. I picked up the phone one saturday (I'm not on the east coast) called Mike at FM and told him what I wanted for a compression ratio and what size bore. He did the rest.

There ya go Todd :)

vipernbox
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
:)

Cheater...

GLHNSLHT2
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Cheater/Laziness/stress free/smart take your pick :)

GLHNSLHT2
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Rods and pistons shipped today! Should have them next week.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Uh, what happened to yours? Is it cracked 1/2 way thru? I have one that broke that way, I just tapped the threads deeper and ran longer bolts. Still holding years later:o

hehe Alan, wait till you see what I've come up with. Let's just say I'll have the lightest CB masi crank gear around :)

2.216VTurbo
04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Rods and pistons shipped today! Should have them next week.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

hehe Alan, wait till you see what I've come up with. Let's just say I'll have the lightest CB masi crank gear around :)

You know I too thought about carving one out of Balsa wood but decided against it:p

GLHNSLHT2
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
nahh, no wood. It'll weigh less than a CB gear, less than an 88 5 bolt gear, but probably a bit more than an 87 and earlier gear.

Ondonti
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Here to give you a hell yeah.

GLHNSLHT2
04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Ondonti.

Juggy
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
4 cylinder stroker big blocks FTW :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Picked up the pistons and rods tonight, I've got pics but my gallery page is down.

Steve, the pistons have oil ring rails. The pin is WAY up there and the top ring is way down. Gonna take them to work and get an accurate weight. mmmmm

GLHNSLHT2
04-14-2011, 12:16 AM
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/215887_1327324558581_2818702_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/249554_1327323438553_1366496_n.jpg

vipernbox
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
You ended up with a decent amount of meat above the top ring for a 2.5.... I assume the rod is a bit shorter than typical???

edit...

No wait... I see.. they crammed the pin into the oil ring... :nod:

4 l-bodies
04-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice parts Jay,:thumb:
What cc dish are those pistons? A gold fish could swim in them:p. Target compression ratio? What is the CH height? I would consider building a 2.5 Masi if I could find a timing belt for use in a TD block. Using the TD, you could easily get the RR back up to 1.56:1 with using stock .360 pin height. Even slightly better with pin height you used.
There are several 2.5 masi motors. FM actually lists a 2.5 masi piston option on catalog. No one I know of has built a TD Masi motor. If I do find a timing belt for this application it will surely be a round tooth. That will be a severe kick in the teeth seeing I had the masi cam pulleys made up, and then I could wind up using round tooth?:mad::o
Todd

GLHNSLHT2
04-14-2011, 11:28 PM
You ended up with a decent amount of meat above the top ring for a 2.5.... I assume the rod is a bit shorter than typical???

edit...

No wait... I see.. they crammed the pin into the oil ring... :nod:

The rods are 6.160" long. Rod ratio is 1.506 now vs stock 1.453. So it's a bit better than the 8v that was in the car and that had no problems revving.

Nice parts Jay,:thumb:
What cc dish are those pistons? A gold fish could swim in them:p. Target compression ratio? What is the CH height? I would consider building a 2.5 Masi if I could find a timing belt for use in a TD block. Using the TD, you could easily get the RR back up to 1.56:1 with using stock .360 pin height. Even slightly better with pin height you used.
There are several 2.5 masi motors. FM actually lists a 2.5 masi piston option on catalog. No one I know of has built a TD Masi motor. If I do find a timing belt for this application it will surely be a round tooth. That will be a severe kick in the teeth seeing I had the masi cam pulleys made up, and then I could wind up using round tooth?:mad::o
Todd

Thanks Todd. I don't know the cc dish. Target compression ratio is 8.1:1. Compression height is 1.145. Yea well I'd have 2 TD motors if you could find a freakin belt :) But since you can't I'm going this route. hehe.

So where are all these 2.5 Masi's? I emailed Mike at FM about the 2.5 pistons as I didn't see them on their site. He said he didn't get many request for them so I'm led to believe that there are some out there. What'd they do about their belts? Maybe you should of had the cam gears done in round tooth. It would of been easier to just swap pulleys but oh well.

Anyway, since I need another CB crank gear I stayed late at work tonight and made one. Well mostly, still have some more to do but got the internal bore and the counter bore in the back done and it's almost the right overall length.

Pic of it
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/205214_1332743094041_3579968_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/216794_1328292422777_5145600_n.jpg

vipernbox
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
What is the problem with finding a belt? The sentra belt or something similar wont work??? (if you go round tooth) What does it need? one extra tooth over a stock masi belt to make it work using the square tooth setup on the TD block, or what? There is a company here in town that makes all kinds of oddball conveyer and weird industrial one off timing type belts.. Do you have the specs of exactly what is needed.. I know a couple guys down there.. Getting a quote shouldn't be a big deal..

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

http://www.hannarubbercompany.com/POWER_TRANSMISSION.php

4 l-bodies
04-15-2011, 01:39 AM
What is the problem with finding a belt? The sentra belt or something similar wont work??? (if you go round tooth) What does it need? one extra tooth over a stock masi belt to make it work using the square tooth setup on the TD block, or what? There is a company here in town that makes all kinds of oddball conveyer and weird industrial one off timing type belts.. Do you have the specs of exactly what is needed.. I know a couple guys down there.. Getting a quote shouldn't be a big deal..

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------
http://www.hannarubbercompany.com/POWER_TRANSMISSION.php

The masi belt is 134 cog. Three more than Lotus (which I believe is 131). This seems hard to believe seeing how much wider the Lotus head is than the Masi. Although it does use a much smaller aux shaft pulley I believe. Tall deck on a SOHC is two cogs longer than basic 2.2/2.5. Those being 126/124 cog respectively. Being DOHC, I'm speculating it may require an additional 3 or 4 cogs (I'm guessing) over a stock Masi belt. If it was a bit long, we could do Jackson's trick with the idler pulley.
Here is specs on the square cog belts we use on 2.2 motors
Pitch is .375" Pitch in mm is 9.5. Width is a bit wider than normal motor 2.2/2.5 is .937" or 24mm. Masi belt width is 1.00" or 25.4mm A 3-4 cog longer belt would then be either 137 cog 51.375" 1305mm long or 138 cog 51.75" 1314 mm long
Hey you'll be my hero if you can find a square cog belt in those dimensions!

Sort of weird that the masi belt is thicker than the SOHC. That is not in itself weird, but the cam pulleys are thinner on the masi motor than the SOHC pulleys, but uses a thicker belt?

Does anyone know if Jackson uses a longer timing belt when he adds the idler pulley to the TIII motors?
Todd

johnl
04-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Hey, I'm dreamin about beating that VW pickup's SCTA and Bonneville land speed record with the Ramerati; problem is the SCTA's blown mini truck displacement cap is 2.0 . . . . sooo, does anyone else have a 2.0 crank?

Austrian Dodge
04-15-2011, 08:00 AM
maybe alan hasn't started yet with his 2.0 masi project, go after his :D :bolt:

2.216VTurbo
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey, I'm dreamin about beating that VW pickup's SCTA and Bonneville land speed record with the Ramerati; problem is the SCTA's blown mini truck displacement cap is 2.0 . . . . sooo, does anyone else have a 2.0 crank?

Cindy had two more when I bought mine about a year(or so) ago...

bakes
04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I bought one of the forged raw blanks off of Cindy 2 years ago.

4 l-bodies
04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
First of all, sorry for the hijack Jay. John, did you miss this thread? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55572-Koffel-2.2-destroked-crank
It looks like it is a early style crank. Then optimally you should find the early style mexican cast block that has all the CB webbing in it. (I have one):evil:. Reading that thread, he really didn't have a use for it, but bought it because it's unique.
Cindy had some. Not sure what that status is. A well known head porter on the east coast is building up a 2.0 that is a CB version crank. It appears a couple different varieties by different manufacturers were produced.
Todd

vipernbox
04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey you'll be my hero if you can find a square cog belt in those dimensions!

Todd

Well... I am not making any promises... But emails have been sent...

(and sorry for the highjack) The standard issue 16v Masi belts are still available somewhere I assume?

Directconnection
04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Picked up the pistons and rods tonight, I've got pics but my gallery page is down.

Steve, the pistons have oil ring rails. The pin is WAY up there and the top ring is way down. Gonna take them to work and get an accurate weight. mmmmm

Talking to me? I seem to recall mentioning this to you in our PM on the Oliver rod choice (which I give a big thumbs up for)

Don't forget on those "rails" that the indentation is used to keep the rail from spinning so the gap doesn't line up with the opening in the ring groove. Put the dot bump facing down in that ring groove opening)

johnl
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
First of all, sorry for the hijack Jay. John, did you miss this thread? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?55572-Koffel-2.2-destroked-crank
It looks like it is a early style crank. Then optimally you should find the early style mexican cast block that has all the CB webbing in it. (I have one):evil:. Reading that thread, he really didn't have a use for it, but bought it because it's unique.
Cindy had some. Not sure what that status is. A well known head porter on the east coast is building up a 2.0 that is a CB version crank. It appears a couple different varieties by different manufacturers were produced.
Todd

No I didn't, but I did forget about it. LOL Thanks Todd.

GLHNSLHT2
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
John, I'll let the thread hijack slide if you've gotten my exhaust housing into the mail already. ??? :)

4 l-bodies
04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Jay,
Just looked at your completed crank pulley. Well done!:thumb: You could sell those! I'll bet a few guys would be in the market. At least you wouldn't have any surprises making them as you know what needs to be done. I'll bet you have a few hours into that one.
Todd

2.216VTurbo
04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
^Pics in the thread Jay?? I missed them, where they be?

4 l-bodies
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Alan, post 23 has a link.

^Pics in the thread Jay?? I missed them, where they be?

2.216VTurbo
04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Alan, post 23 has a link.

Ahhh, I dont see as well as when I was a young-un:o

GLHNSLHT2
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Jay,
Just looked at your completed crank pulley. Well done!:thumb: You could sell those! I'll bet a few guys would be in the market. At least you wouldn't have any surprises making them as you know what needs to be done. I'll bet you have a few hours into that one.
Todd

Thanks Todd. The thought of selling them has crossed my mind but selling things to the TD/TM community has borderlined on the more hassle than it's worth fence for me to decide wether I'm going to or not. I'm leaning more towards to making one more and selling my stock one. I have about 5.5hrs into the machining of it. Some of that is just setting up the lathe twice since I did it after work over 2 days and I could probably go faster now that I know what I'm doing.

That being said something else showed up in the mail today.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/221659_1333589235194_6578024_n.jpg

2.216VTurbo
04-20-2011, 11:06 PM
HaHa, Jay got his crank SCRAPER on 4/20 Get it, scraper, 4/20. Nah, I don't either but since he is talking about national stoner day something nonsensical seemed pertinent:D

BTW thanks for the old man size link print;)

GLHNSLHT2
04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Alan you a funny guy. Go back to your bong :) You're welcome for the big link.

GLHNSLHT2
04-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Stock crank gear weighs 672.4 grams. New gear weighs 403.4 grams. So lost just over 1/2lb off the end of the crank or just over 1/3 of the total weight of a stock gear. I could probably get that down to 325 grams or so but don't feel like setting up the rotory table.

4 l-bodies
04-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Jay,
Did you order your rods direct or through Mike at FM? I did some math last night using your CH height in a TD block. 2.5 with the longest rod I can put in there and rod ratio could in theory be as high a 1.62. That is leaving a little room for deck resurfacing and leaving the piston about .005 down. Almost what stock 2.2 is. Hehe. I can almost hear Peters... there is no replacement for displacement. Yeah so why did he build a 2.0 ltr for his GLH?
Maybe making progress on some TD masi timing belts. Got some phone calls out there. Probably would do the idler trick on the intake side like Jackson did on the Lotus motors.
Todd

GLHNSLHT2
04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
I ordered them through Mike. Do I need to make post #13 bigger for you old men to read? :)

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Fixed post #13 for ya Todd

Juggy
04-23-2011, 08:02 AM
those rods n pistons are sexy

GLHNSLHT2
04-23-2011, 11:35 AM
thanks jugs.

GLHNSLHT2
05-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Found another 88 gear so I'm probably going to sell my CB masi crank pulley.

GLHNSLHT2
05-09-2011, 11:50 PM
More parts arrived in the mail. :)

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/230569_1351010950726_6284481_n.jpg

Reaper1
05-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Well, seeing as I'm officially in the Masi Brotherhood (picked up my 16V engine this weekend), I've been also toiling over the TD Masi combo. So, if there is a solution that comes to pass on this...I'm game!

BTW, the regular timing belts also look to be needing to be sourced. Anybody got a clue on that one yet?

vipernbox
05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Working on it slowly...

GLHNSLHT2
05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Well, seeing as I'm officially in the Masi Brotherhood (picked up my 16V engine this weekend), I've been also toiling over the TD Masi combo. So, if there is a solution that comes to pass on this...I'm game!

Solution that comes to pass on WHAT?

Reaper1
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Solution that comes to pass on WHAT?

The timing belt for a Masi TD combo! LOL I REALLY would love to build that as I think it would simply be a very nice combo!

Vigo
05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I still dont understand the question. A masi head on a non-masi block with a non-masi crank timing gear or what?

Directconnection
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Jay, what does Oliver give for torque on your rods? Torque and then angle? If so, ignore that and use only the stretch method. If they say.... .0050" to .0060" then slowly climb up in ftlbs to a final of .0050" (or even a bit less like .0045" is good) but don't go over that .0060" If a 3/8" thread, try starting at 40lbs and see what your stretch is... and go in 5lb incremements from there.

Reaper1
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I still dont understand the question. A masi head on a non-masi block with a non-masi crank timing gear or what?

I want to install a Masi head on a Tall Deck (TD) block using a non-Masi (but very built) bottom end. The issue with this is that there doesn't seem to be a timing belt that will work for this combination.

Vigo
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh, gotcha.

vipernbox
05-11-2011, 07:16 PM
i have been working on it slowly... and know a lot more about the lingo for belts that I even thought i had to learn.. So the tree is growing... just no fruit yet..

Reaper1
05-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I'll pee on it so it grows faster! :thumb:

4 l-bodies
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
i have been working on it slowly... and know a lot more about the lingo for belts that I even thought i had to learn.. So the tree is growing... just no fruit yet..
I'm also working on getting an exact length belt we need for that combo. It built a .470 thick "shim" to add to a regular TD block for mock up purposes. That will duplicate the TD deck height. I'm going to also try to mock up an idler pulley on the A/C belt side for that option. My understanding is there is at least one masi motor running an idler pulley. That will require a different length belt. I've been a bit busy lately so that was put on the back burner for a bit. I'll get to it soon enough though.
Todd

Reaper1
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I was also thinking along the lines of using a longer than needed belt with an additional idler. Seems like that just might be the ticket! :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
And hi-jacked again...............

GLHNSLHT2
05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Jay, what does Oliver give for torque on your rods? Torque and then angle? If so, ignore that and use only the stretch method. If they say.... .0050" to .0060" then slowly climb up in ftlbs to a final of .0050" (or even a bit less like .0045" is good) but don't go over that .0060" If a 3/8" thread, try starting at 40lbs and see what your stretch is... and go in 5lb incremements from there.

Thanks steve. I need to buy a stretch guage and have the machining done. Maybe I'll scan the instructions in and post them. But they do say something about torquing and an angle. But I thought it was an angle then a torque but I'll tripple check and follow your way.

Vigo
05-12-2011, 11:21 AM
And hi-jacked again...............

Cant have nice things.. :p

iTurbo
05-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Jay, I'm really interested in this crank gear you made. Looks really nice! I recently acquired another common-block Masi motor but it didn't come with the crank gear. I do have an '88 square-tooth gear though....so if you make another would you be interested in making these for others?

Nice project though! I've been hoarding Masi 16v parts but not sure when I'll be able to start doing much with it. I'm way up ---- creek with my TIII project at the moment and that has to get finished first before I graduate on to the Masi.

GLHNSLHT2
05-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Jeremy. I think if I had more access to a CNC lathe and could churn out 10-20 pieces I'd be more likely to do it. But having to do it by "hand" on a manual machine just takes too much of my spare time to be making sprockets for others and I've got projects of my own to work on. So right now I'm going to make one more for my 2nd masi motor and then put my stocker up for sale.

iTurbo
05-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Ah OK, nice work nonetheless. Of course, I'd take a stock sprocket too as the the only other Masi 16v sprocket I have is for non-CB. Keep me in mind when you decide to sell it.

Reaper1
05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Jay, I'm really interested in this crank gear you made. Looks really nice! I recently acquired another common-block Masi motor but it didn't come with the crank gear. I do have an '88 square-tooth gear though....so if you make another would you be interested in making these for others?

Nice project though! I've been hoarding Masi 16v parts but not sure when I'll be able to start doing much with it. I'm way up ---- creek with my TIII project at the moment and that has to get finished first before I graduate on to the Masi.

Sell the time/money hoarding TIII crap and go Masi all the way!! :thumb: :D

GLHNSLHT2
05-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Main studs arrived today. Fidanza friction surface is on it's way.

Juggy
05-19-2011, 09:55 AM

slurp slurp. whip your chin, theres a little something on there

Reaper1
05-19-2011, 12:52 PM
slurp slurp. whip your chin, theres a little something on there

Yeah..me drooling all over my engine! LOL Sorry...I'll try not to drool too much! ;)

GLHNSLHT2
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
yea cause Masi engines aren't time and money hoarders at all huh? I just blew a grand on a head that's NEVER been on an engine.

iTurbo
05-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Oh man you have no idea! I have been collecting TIII parts probably since '04 after I finished my red Spirit R/T build which some here may remember. Snowballed over and over again to the point I have four rebuilt everythings in my second bedroom which I converted to a shop room. I think I just wanted to TIII the entire fleet to tell you the truth! Along the way I've had a series of very unfortunate life events and have been hoarding parts honestly I have no idea what else to do with my time and money at this point in my life. Now I'm caught up in two jobs working 50-60 hours a week which makes it easy to afford although it is an expensive hobby; I have no time to actually work on much. Feeling really overwhelmed lately just walking into my shop and being faced with the prospect of assembling all this stuff. And without my brother here to help me it really doesn't sound like that much fun.

Reaper1
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
yea cause Masi engines aren't time and money hoarders at all huh? I just blew a grand on a head that's NEVER been on an engine.

LOL...true enough. I'm going to start that long hard road within the next month!

Oh man you have no idea! I have been collecting TIII parts probably since '04 after I finished my red Spirit R/T build which some here may remember. Snowballed over and over again to the point I have four rebuilt everythings in my second bedroom which I converted to a shop room. I think I just wanted to TIII the entire fleet to tell you the truth! Along the way I've had a series of very unfortunate life events and have been hoarding parts honestly I have no idea what else to do with my time and money at this point in my life. Now I'm caught up in two jobs working 50-60 hours a week which makes it easy to afford although it is an expensive hobby; I have no time to actually work on much. Feeling really overwhelmed lately just walking into my shop and being faced with the prospect of assembling all this stuff. And without my brother here to help me it really doesn't sound like that much fun.

Yeah, I think I can understand that. I got to the point where I just have to get out from under it all and focus on one or two things for now...

GLHNSLHT2
06-15-2011, 12:42 AM
couple new parts arrived today.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/253593_1386744084032_2695844_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/253409_1386744604045_5036340_n.jpg

bakes
06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
liquid cooled???

Juggy
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
liquid cooled???

yep.....

GLHNSLHT2
06-16-2011, 12:35 AM
yep, not sure if I'll run it, maybe go from the block to the WG to the turbo? :)

bakes
06-16-2011, 01:27 AM
i would i seen it save the diaphragm in racing apps. no one like a blown diaphragm!!!!!

Juggy
06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
what size hole is in there?? seems kinda smalll to use in line with the turbo....

GLHNSLHT2
06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
yea jugs, you're probably right. it's only -3 and the hole on the other side of the fitting is way small. Maybe just a T fitting on the back of the block and at the head inlet? Oh was gonna suggest maybe a #4 coolant mod setup but then I remembered I'm using a superior head :)

GLHNSLHT2
06-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I think this i my new favorite pic.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1/260330_1390211010703_2900542_n.jpg

Juggy
06-24-2011, 01:20 AM
T into the coolant turbo feed, sounds like a good idea.....

may be superior, but gawd dang they r ugly as sin :lol:

GLHNSLHT2
09-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Threw a mockup engine/tranny together today to see if my idea in my head was feasible. And OMG does it fit like a glove! This is the way it should of come from the factory.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/310676_1505355209236_631232370_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/312387_1505438091308_912732789_n.jpg

The only problem is that you can't run factory power steering so this option is out :(

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Looks good, :nod:

All the other links are dead.

GLHNSLHT2
09-18-2011, 01:24 AM
non-relavant info removed.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Ok, I'll go check them out.

GLHNSLHT2
09-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Well SH!T!!!! I must of had a major brain fade (work has been real stressful lately) and forgot that I needed to have power steering too. So gonna have to run the manifold in the stock location. Which takes away the coolness factor of having it up in plain sight but oh well.

Directconnection
09-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Looking pretty good! (even though you are running the inferior cylinder head and all....)

Seriously, looking good.

(makes me wonder if I should have gone with the v-band discharge setup vs. the TU 3" sw (or use the ATP setup)

Vigo
09-18-2011, 06:50 PM
That turbine housing is kickass.

GLHNSLHT2
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Looking pretty good! (even though you are running the inferior cylinder head and all....)

Seriously, looking good.

(makes me wonder if I should have gone with the v-band discharge setup vs. the TU 3" sw (or use the ATP setup)

Thanks. I really liked the TU setup on my 8v, it did perform well but just ease of bolting it and the downpipe on was was made it really nice. I think if I had an internal WG setup though again I'd definately go with the ATP piece. Just remember that Treadstone has the same part for $10 less. I don't know if treadstone can get the Chryco style but I wouldn't doubt that they could.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

That turbine housing is kickass.

I think so too :)

Reaper1
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Jay, not to hijack, but looking through your album I just realized our cars are cousins! Yours is a white '87 ShelbyZ t-top with tan interior...mine is a white '88 Shelby Z solid top with tan interior! Not only that, but we're both wanting to drop Masi engines in them! LOL

OK, I know it's stupid to get all giddy about, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

BTW, is that the S10 airdam on the front of your car?

GLHNSLHT2
09-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Actually our cars are TWINS! I sold the T-top and all this is going into my 87 white hardtop with tan interior. I just need to move the masi setup when I start a new album for the hardtop. I took all the stock parts off the hardtop and put them into the t-top and sold it. I'm in the process of putting all the "race" parts into the hardtop. It was going to be my very fun 8v setup but with a cracked header I thought it was time to put the Masi setup in.

Yes that's the S10 Airdam on my T-top, I have one on my new yorker, and one will be going onto the hardtop car.

I figured out today that you just need to add an inch thick T3 flange to the stock manifold to clear the starter for the most part. It hits the heat shield on the starter but I can afford to clearance that a bit and not hurt it's functionality. It hits the stock 8v oil drainback tube but that's going bye bye so I yanked it out of the block. It'll still use the factory drain hole in the block but I'm gonna convert it to AN fittings.

GLHNSLHT2
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Well I got my spacers this week and prepped them so I could see if my idea would work. Here's the view from the top.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/305330_1548280842350_594518485_n.jpg

I might trim that boss off the tranny a bit and the shifter cable is going to tight but it should be ok.

Now the starter, it's close but clears.

I'm going to machine the stock flange at an angle to rotate the housing up and away from the starter and will give the shifter cable some more room. Also the turbo is clamped a little low on the flange so that will also help it move away from the starter too. But it was the closest I could get it trying to get the thing clamped to the manifold without any help but it fits and that makes me happy.

Machining manifold at greatest angle I could.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/379770_3722233869817_1272507475_n.jpg

Reaper1
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
How close is that to the bobble strut bracket? Also, I'd bolt the shift cable bracket on as well and see how it all fits. It doesn't seem promising to be able to run a smooth 4" intake duct to that thing. Maybe using a doughnut type adapter would work?

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2011, 01:10 AM
The bobble strut is close but should clear, if I have to shorten the boobie strut bracket that'll be easy. The cable bracket is on and clears, but the cable itself is going to be close.

Just finished up this prototype adapter tonight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1618569_3784524427042_823749446_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1559578_3784528427142_1574220463_n.jpg

I need to bolt it all onto the head to see where things sit but I thought I'd give it a try. It's 2" thick instead of 1". If it doesn't work I'll just go with a 1" spacer, mill the stock flange at an angle and weld the damn thing on if I can find a competent welder.

Reaper1
10-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Holy good gawd! That is one thick part! How long and how much did it take to machine that? In talking with Rick, even though you are going to be bolting and welding the adapter to the manifold, he suggests to also weld plates off to the side of the original flange to help support the new, wider adapter and the turbo to help keep the manifold happy under the new stresses.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Looking good.

Thought about swapping to the Nippo starter? Probably gives you a few more inch's clearance.

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2011, 08:11 PM
aren't they all the same size after 87?

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Holy good gawd! That is one thick part! How long and how much did it take to machine that? In talking with Rick, even though you are going to be bolting and welding the adapter to the manifold, he suggests to also weld plates off to the side of the original flange to help support the new, wider adapter and the turbo to help keep the manifold happy under the new stresses.

Run time in the machine was about 15 mins.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
aren't they all the same size after 87?

Nope, the Nippo was sprinkled thru the cars, not sure what years but I think mine came off a mid 80's L body. The sit lower and closer to the block and have a built in heat shield. I found it by a fluke at the PAP and then I needed it when I ran Typerts log header, wouldn't clear the Bosch starter that you are using.

Wish i had a better pic-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/GT35R%20install%20pics/Workcamera006.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Found another one-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20engine%20build%20and%20van%20pics/Picture042.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
If the weather's nice maybe I'll hit the j-yard this weekend and see if I can track down the application.

iTurbo
10-26-2011, 02:32 AM
I've bought a couple of those ND starters from Rock Auto (Beck Arnley remans). I really like them as well. I find them in the Rock Auto catalog using an '86 Dodge Lancer ES w/2.2 Turbo as the application. Have no idea if that jives with real life though.

Reeves
10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I've bought a couple of those ND starters from Rock Auto (Beck Arnley remans). I really like them as well. I find them in the Rock Auto catalog using an '86 Dodge Lancer ES w/2.2 Turbo as the application. Have no idea if that jives with real life though.

Looked that up, but the pic it is showing is Bosch. Have a part number?

iTurbo
10-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I looked it up again and you are right....only the Bosch reman Beck Arnley unit comes up. Then I checked for the '87 Lancer turbo and it shows up there so I was off by a year. The part number for ND reman Beck Arnley is 1870442.

GLHNSLHT2
10-29-2011, 10:33 PM
well the adapter prototype isn't going to work, puts the turbo down way too low.

GLHNSLHT2
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/64601_1910776344511_1670130995_n.jpg

Some more parts came today :) project isn't dead yet but is going very very slowly due to lack of cash flow towards the project. Got the Masi manifolds Machined to be able to mount a GT30R on it and not hit the starter. I need to do some mockup to see exactly where I want the external gate welded. Supposedly there's a cast steel and cast iron version of the Masi Manifold. I guess I got lucky and it looks like I have 2 cast steel versions so welding to them is a breeze.

iTurbo
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I hear ya on the lack of cash flow making the project progress slowly....You aren't the only one! I have a pile of gold in my bedroom in the form of 2.0L common block Masi parts that I stumbled upon on craigslist that I can only hope to assemble one day. Now if I could just find somebody to build me an intake manifold.....(I am serious..) I have a stock Masi 16v exhaust manifold but no intake manifold at this point. I have a Garret T76/P-trim turbo I got from the guy that was building this Masi 16v for his land speed record 'streamliner' but it's totally overkill for what I want. I did get an intake manifold from the guy but he was going to run a Hilborn mech injection setup (!?!?!!) I have no idea if my exhaust manifold is cast steel or iron, how to tell the difference? Awesome thread you got going here.

I bought my Caliber SRT-4 up at Dave Smith, and am tentatively planning on getting a Dart SRT-4 from them. Maybe we'lll both be far enough along at that point that I could stop buy your place and compare notes.

GLHNSLHT2
03-04-2012, 01:45 AM
cast steel is usually smoother and from what I've heard you can actually weld to it. I don't really have any concrete evidence either way though.

If ya come this way let us know. It's amazing who buys from them. My g/f saw someone in Hawaii with Dave Smith paper plates.

Will the hillborn setup bolt to the head? Pics of it?

iTurbo
03-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Here is pic of the exhaust manifold I have.

And here are some pics of the Hilborn mechanical fuel injection setup. I got a couple different fuel pumps with it. One is Enderle and one is Hilborn, both belt driven totally old school drag stuff. The guy I bought this stuff from in Boise was an old school drag racer and was pretty familiar with the setup but it's really new to me! After talking to the guy and touring his shop for a couple of hours, I was amazed to say the least. This guy had some amazing achievements under his belt! I got the impression that he thought the Hilborn setup would bolt up, but it would need an adapter plate at the very least in order to bolt to the Masi 16v head. I think the Hilborn setup was actually designed for a SOHC head considering the port shape. Maybe he just didn't get that far in the build..not sure. I also asked if he still had the stock intake manifold or turbocharger. He did not have the stock intake manifold but he did pull out the T76/P-trim and just gave it to me! Couldn't freaking believe coolest guy ever!!

I am not planing on running the mechanical fuel injection setup, despite the cool factor. I would really like to find somebody that can build a modern EFI big plenum manifold like was built by Adam Lengel for the TIII but the ports on the Masi 16v head pose some challenges.....someday...

GLHNSLHT2
03-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Emailing you a pic Jeremy.

iTurbo
03-04-2012, 03:06 AM
heh awesomeness.

Reaper1
03-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Neat! Yeah, my project is in the crawl mode, too. Medical stuff came up on top of me trying to get a car rolling that has been on jack stands since 2003.

GLHNSLHT2
03-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Does anyone have any pics of how the stock oil return setup is ran? I didn't take pics of mine when I tore it apart and didn't have a turbo anyway. There's a port in the bottom of the pan and still utilizes the stock drainback location. I don't remember what it looks like or how it works.

iTurbo
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I hear yea there. I'm hesitant to talk much about the Masi stuff I have collected (mostly out of shear luck), because I just can't afford to move forward much on that stuff.

I know about the medical too...About two years ago I got a bad case of stomach flu and was puking BIG time. So bad I ended up getting an inguinal hernia! Medical bills totalled 7-8K$ for the corrective surgery but thankfully I have insurance through my job but still had to pay $2K+ out of pocket expense. For now all my Masi stuff just sits in my room and hopefully one day I will get to it. I would love to contact Rick Diogo about some stuff I'd like to do but I would just be blowing smoke since I don't have the financial resources at the moment.

I'm still amazed to this day how lucky I was to get the Masi parts I got. Within the scope of a year I scored three 16v motors! Thanks to ShelGame, Mark Christofferson, and an old school hot rodder named Dan Wiseman in Boise. The day I went to Boise to pick up the last one (the CB 2.0L) was the coolest turbo Mopar day ever for me. Not only did I pick up some choice parts but I got to talk/tour the garage of an with an old school hot rodder for no less than three hours. Totally amazing experience for me. You should have seen my Regal GS after I left his place. It was so loaded it was dragging --- all the way back to Wyoming! I had a huge grin on my face the whole way back!

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Jay - I have a complete motor I got from Mark C. on an engine stand. I could take a picture of the oil return setup tomorrow..

Do you mean the cylinder head oil return or the turbocharger?

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2012, 12:00 AM
turbocharger specifically but I'd love to see pics of it all so I know how it functions. Also the bung on the pan with the tube going to it goes where? That'd be awesome. You have my email addy. THANKS!

iTurbo
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
No problem, would be glad to help! Will take some pics first thing tomorrow.

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2012, 12:11 AM
added a part to the post above. I have a grainy black and white pic of the back of the motor. That extra bung in the bottom of the pan, where's that line go?

iTurbo
03-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately I forgot my Sony Cyber-shot camera in my CSRT glove box when I dropped it off for warranty service last week but should have it back tomorrow. I have a camera I borrowed from my older brother but it's a DLSR and is too high tech for me to figure out ha! Will look into the pan/bung you mentioned.

Hmmm, Imma run down to my garage and have a look, brb..

GLHNSLHT2
03-05-2012, 12:39 AM
So to get started I've snagged this pic from Reaper's thread.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305210_10150348614831620_744781619_10221971_242004 3_n.jpg

Looks like the turbo uses the regular oil feed and oil drain back locations like an 8v. Water for the turbo comes out the back of the block and goes into the side of the head pictured here. So does the oil fitting on the back of the head and the bottom of the pan connect together? If so what is their routing?

iTurbo
03-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Well I just went out and looked. Unfortunately I won't be able to get good pics till tomorrow because of how cramped it is in there and the lack of good lighting. But, I did look at the bung on the oil pan and it is the oil return for the cylinder head. There is a 3/8" bent steel line going from the pan to head and connects via a banjo bolt.

The turbocharger oil drain is similar to the SOHC (and TIII), but the drain tube that presses into the block is very short. Seems the Masi turbocharger sits lower so the oil drain tube that presses into the block is only about an 1" long at most compared to all the other turbo motors that are more like 3"-4" long.

If there is anything else you'd like to see let me know and tomorrow I should be able to get any pics you like easily. Just need to get my normal camera back instead of this one I'm borrowing at the moment which I can't seem to figure out anything on.

turbovanmanČ
03-05-2012, 02:43 AM
I hear ya on the lack of cash flow making the project progress slowly....You aren't the only one! I have a pile of gold in my bedroom in the form of 2.0L common block Masi parts that I stumbled upon on craigslist that I can only hope to assemble one day. Now if I could just find somebody to build me an intake manifold.....(I am serious..)

Lengel maybe, but Top Fuel Bender for sure.

GLHNSLHT2
03-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! What's this? Spotted this while machining the WG holes in the manifolds tuesday night. WTF?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1623700_3784562387991_1489990119_n.jpg

Reaper1
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Running change? Possibly the difference between common block and non-common block?

GLHNSLHT2
03-09-2012, 11:26 PM
The bottom one is supposedly off an 89 car but it was on a common block.

2.216VTurbo
03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Jeremy, have you seen Rick's (RDI Performance) water jet IN Manifold flange and CNC'd port runners. All the hard parts of a custom Manifold are already created.

Jay, did JohnL ever show pics of his cracked EX manifold? He had one on the Rampage that had 2-3 cracks right where that reinforcement ribbon is,maybe they had early durability issues and solved it that way. When you rap on the manifold with something metal do they thud or ring? Can't say that I've heard of steel vs cast before but clearly your are different from each other so.... Also SVTPat (rarely if ever here) did quite a bit of fab to make a Garret 'universal' Ford style turbo fit the manifold, wonder if we ever got pics of that? He's retired now so he's been telling me how he will have more time for his TM/Masi projects. Haven't seen that happen just yet but he has move twice since retiring.

GLHNSLHT2
03-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Never seen pics of John's manifold. I haven't hit them with metal other than them hitting off each other a bit in the box in the back of the car but don't remember the exact sound they make.

I got the steel vs cast thing because I assumed they were cast iron and called my welder to see if he could weld the SS T3 flanges to it. He said no so I emailed Rick wondering how he did it. He told me that some are cast steel and some are cast iron depending on the VIN of the car. I obviously don't have the VIN though so talked to the welding guy at work and he did a weld test on the upper one pictured. It welded beautifully so that one is for sure cast steel. Based on how the other one machined and how it looks we think the other one is cast steel as well so I'm not sure if there is any cast iron versions or not. But I only have 2 manifolds to base that on so who knows.

Do you think running a bead of weld down between those 2 runners would help to prevent any future cracks? Right now I can have it done for free. Later this year if things go as planned I'll probably have to pay someone to do it.

As far as fab work goes it's pretty easy to get the GT30R to bolt on and clear the starter. Buy two 1/2" thick T3 flanges and weld them on. It'll clear but just barely. I cut an angle on the manifold to lift the turbo up and away from the starter a bit further. You could cut on the flange as well to get the greater angle.

I'd love to see SVTPat's work and collection of parts. I really wish the Masi guys could be a bit more vocal and organized in talking and showing off their projects. I know there's some awesome stuff out there.

Thanks for the info

iTurbo
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd love to see SVTPat's work and collection of parts. I really wish the Masi guys could be a bit more vocal and organized in talking and showing off their projects. I know there's some awesome stuff out there. Thanks for the info

Jay, I know what you mean! All the Masi stuff going on, even with people on this forum....it all seems so hush-hush. As far as I'm concerned I absolutely love looking at pics of different 16v Masi projects, rare parts, cars, custom fabrication etc..

I suppose that I am somewhat guilty of this as well for a couple reasons. First, I don't want to go blathering on about stuff I have in *your* project log because this thread should be all about your project, not mine! Second, I don't want to give the impression that I'm showing off. Truthfully I stumbled upon most of this stuff out of sheer luck. And third, I just don't quite have the resources to even start on a 16v Masi project of my own at the moment. Like I said earlier, I would just love to contact Rick Diogo or Adam Lengel about an intake manifold. Some things, like the reproduced valve cover gaskets that TurbosUnleashed is doing I will spring for now because it seems like "now or never", but I don't even feel comfortable starting my big mega TIII project log right now. If I can get some TIII stuff finished up, I will give myself permission to graduate on to the 16v Masi.:amen:

Reaper1
03-11-2012, 02:12 AM
It's funny you mention how "hush-hush" a lot of Masi guys are. I think most of it stems from them not being active or interested in being active on the forums. At least that's the impression I've been left with. I personally think it's unfortunate. It's also the reason I chose to put my build out there as much as I can so I can share it with others and document these interesting engines. I hope to see even more builds eventually. I understand they can't be as prolific as the TIII, but I also think there is no reason that there can't be a few more awesome Masi builds either. :thumb:

vipernbox
03-11-2012, 02:57 AM
I will post my engine build should I ever have one.. :)

What the heck.. if the engine is solid... how much 'building' are most people going to be doing? Once the turbo is fixed.. exhaust opened up... more injectors and a tune...

How fast ya think grandpa needs to go anyway... :lol:

moparman76_69
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! What's this? Spotted this while machining the WG holes in the manifolds tuesday night. WTF?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419906_1923332778414_1694941328_923896_2100106010_ n.jpg

What exactly am I looking at here? Is the top one cast steel while the lower one is cast iron?

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2012, 06:57 PM
pretty sure they're both cast steel. They machine the same where cast iron usually throws a dark chip these are both nice and shiny. I was showing the difference in ribbing.

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Guy at work finally got a T3 flange welded to my manifold, Plan was to stack 2 flanges on top of each other for clearance of the starter. I brought the manifold home to show a friend and decided to throw it on to see if the turbo would clear with just the one flange welded on. IT DOES! Plenty of room and up high enough I'm pretty sure I can use the stock location for the drainback in the block.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1521644_3722228869692_341936589_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1654125_3784583588521_354570452_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1609895_3784583628522_769886497_n.jpg

So to get a big turbo to work on a Masi all you have to do is machine the stock flange at I think a 55 degree angle to the manifold to head surface (I'll double check later) basically as much of an angle you can get and not make it any taller/shorter height wise. Then weld the 1/2" thick T3 flange on and you're done!

The ZF powersteering pump works great too, plenty of clearance for the exhaust. Exhaust pictured is just a short radius bend I had lying around. I'm pretty sure a regular radius will fit just fine but I didn't have one lying around the shop. Maybe I should instantly flare to 4" then back down to 3" once I'm in the tunnel, seen that on a Rally car years ago.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1536652_3784588868653_2140689718_n.jpg

I'm stoked about it.

Reaper1
06-03-2012, 11:16 PM
It clears, but man it's close! Think you could change the starter without dropping the turbo or any plumbing?

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't know. I think I'd probably have to disconnect the exhaust from the turbo, and loosen the 4 bolts that hold it to the exhaust manny but that's probably it. And with no intake above it, it's not too bad to do that :)

All the plumbing is going to be an fittings so they're cake to disconnect too.

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Your not going to run the Nippo starter?

I never noticed before but is the TB actuated by a bell crank setup?

Reaper1
06-11-2012, 08:19 PM
In the stock configuration, yes. I think I have a picture of it in my build thread...which I have to update! ;)

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Here's a picture of it from my thread. http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/298657_10150348611746620_744781619_10221892_188704 1_n.jpg

And another:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305210_10150348614831620_744781619_10221971_242004 3_n.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
12-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Got my block tapped for the -10 oil return today, also in came the AN fittings for all the coolant lines off the head and the oil return off the back of the head to the oil pan. Hopefully tax returns will allow me to get the block machined and I can really get to putting this all together.

GLHNSLHT2
06-19-2013, 12:58 AM
FINALLY my welder did some welding. Just roughing out the flange before I give it back to him to weld the WG pipe on. Then we can finish porting it.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/1003837_3131236415250_1812757579_n.jpg

2.216VTurbo
06-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Nice, seems it's been a looong time since progress was made;)

GLHNSLHT2
06-19-2013, 08:54 PM
has been a long time. Slowly but surely though. Need to win the lotto. Quit my job and do nothing but work on this car. :)

GLHNSLHT2
10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Got the block tapped for a -10 return.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/382078_2572820935212_12835324_n.jpg

ordered up some AN water fittings too.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150626_2572821455225_1545428383_n.jpg

Factory 2.5 oil tube and dipstick work with the MAsi head,

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/224847_2601017560110_617812695_n.jpg

I'm working on buidling the extra bracing the T2 Shelby Z's came with under the radiator that the T1 Auto's did not come with :(

cordes
10-06-2013, 07:02 PM
I didn't realize that the daytonas had extra bracing for the TII cars.

GLHNSLHT2
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
It might be a 5spd vs Auto thing but this is the only time I've noticed it because both cars were parked side by side. I'll keep my eye out at the j-yard to see which it is though. I'm going to expand on the bracing a bit though just to brace it up some more. I'll take pics sometime.

Reaper1
10-10-2013, 04:12 PM
What thread size/pitch is needed for the head water lines? I need to do that too as the OEM one broke when I was taking the engine apart.

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Water lines are 12mm x 1.25. I found them at anplumbing.com

joelzip
11-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Is there any way to bring back the pictures that are posted earlier in this thread? Seams as though the site is down that was hosting them. Would be nice reference pics for my build, thanks.

GLHNSLHT2
01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Got the pics all re-done for you Joel.