PDA

View Full Version : Fidanza Inserts

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Ok guys, I'm upgrading from my spec stage 3 to either a stage 5 or a stage 4. The stage 3 still works wonderfully but I want an unsprung hub that better suits my driving style. The stage 3 shows almost no wear even though I've done 2nd gear burnouts on it and have had it in for about 10k miles.

Anyway, my question is since I have an older fidanza can I still get the insert for it? How can I make sure I have the older style as they switched right around when I bought mine. I want to throw a new insert in it with the new clutch.

Thanks.

glhs727
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes, you can get the old style or new style. You must specify the 18 bolt pattern or 20 bolt pattern....

Force Fed Mopar
03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
My machine shop was able to resurface mine, as it wasn't out much.

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think it's out much as there's maybe .001" of wear. But I'm upgrading the clutch too so it's easier just to swap, it's only $20-30 more for a brand new one from FWDP than it is to have it resurfaced.

Force Fed Mopar
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah but then you have to have it installed :)

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2011, 11:37 PM
:confused: Cause I'm incapable of putting some screws and nuts together???

Juggy
03-12-2011, 11:46 PM
My machine shop was able to resurface mine, as it wasn't out much.

DO NOT RESURFACE YOUR ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jay. dont worry bout the small step. i been beating the snot out of the same flywheel for 6 years now (have had it for 10...been some down time lol)
ive owned 2 of them, both older style. and both had a small step as the disc surface was slightly higher then the alum flywheel....

my friend i had sold one too had his machined....anyway, what happens next time u have to replace the plate? they are going to machine it AGAIN. as they already took meat off the aluminum...so then the replacement plate will sit even higher....

idk. i lucked out and got a free spare disc with one of my flywheels, so im good for at least another 10 years LOL

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

btw i know u talkin bout disc wear.....001 is F all. i had more like 5-10 thous

i have a custom PP tho, with revlok disc....mix and match is working for me so far. altho i have blown out previous PP's and from what i read its because the disc is too thick for them....im running stock sized PP with the thicker clutch disc lol....another reason i had the PP built with extra straps

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Not worried about the height of the insert, I want a nice new surface for a nice new clutch to grab into.

Juggy
03-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Not worried about the height of the insert, I want a nice new surface for a nice new clutch to grab into.

ive broken in new clutches on more wear. your fine trust me. as long as u dont resurface it!!! pretty much FUBAR after u wear that insert out....unless u wanna surface again and make it even thinner lololol....

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

FUBAR as in your screwed if u machine the aluminum and thin it out....cause each time u put a new plate in there is an even bigger gap.....im sure u know.....just stating obvious for NON machinists..NEVER repeat DO NOT surface your AL flywheel...

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Well for $60 it's cheap insurance. I'm of the belief of build it right once than have to pull it apart because you were a cheap a$$ :)

Juggy
03-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Well for $60 it's cheap insurance. I'm of the belief of build it right once than have to pull it apart because juggz is a cheap a$$ :)

fixed it for ya lol
hold onto the spare plate. im sure u could sell it to a guy like me haha

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

also, lmk what you come across when you order a new one up!!!

I swear i remember brent having a hard time finding an older style plate, as if fidanza stopped making them.

and that at one point when u ordered a fresh plate they sent you BOTH the 18 and 20 bolt plates together......maybe he can chime in on this.....

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Cindy can you clarify this? Can we just order it through your site and let you know what bolt pattern we need?

Force Fed Mopar
03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
:confused: Cause I'm incapable of putting some screws and nuts together???

Mine is riveted...

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.streetfire.net/video/anatomy-of-a-fidanza-flywheel_2199651.htm

Force Fed Mopar
03-13-2011, 06:52 PM
hmm interesting, maybe mine is an older one or something.

Juggy
03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
hmm interesting, maybe mine is an older one or something.

r u sure its a fidanza??

man ive had these things for over 10 years, and not one of them was rivetted.....

Ondonti
03-14-2011, 05:48 AM
The newest inserts are thinner then the older plates anyways, even if you get the old bolt style. Shop accidentally machined mine and it was still thicker then 3 other plates of various bolt patterns.
It almost might be good to machine an old one to maintain OEM plate height.

Juggy
03-14-2011, 07:12 AM
The newest inserts are thinner then the older plates anyways, even if you get the old bolt style. Shop accidentally machined mine and it was still thicker then 3 other plates of various bolt patterns.
It almost might be good to machine an old one to maintain OEM plate height.

nice info, thanks :thumb:

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

do u happen to know how much thinnier??? dont seem like they are going to last as long now!!! unless they countersunk the holes to the same depth from the top of the plate....

i will be pulling my findanzar from the 8v motor and putting it on the lotus. ive been running the same insert for 4 seasons now lol i wonder how its looking, altho when we swapped PP's out last time it was still looking good...ill prolly just keep running it until its down to the screws or she starts to slip hehehe

Force Fed Mopar
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
r u sure its a fidanza??

man ive had these things for over 10 years, and not one of them was rivetted.....

I dunno, maybe not. I just assumed it was, as I didn't know anyone else made one for the 2.2/2.5. I never really looked for a name on it to be honest.

GLHNSLHT2
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
anyone got a 20 bolt version they wanna trade for an 18 bolt?

Juggy
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
anyone got a 20 bolt version they wanna trade for an 18 bolt?

are they not selling the old plate anymore???

GLHNSLHT2
06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't know, I ordered it through TU who said they could get me both plates and this is what showed up. Chris hasn't responded to my email yet which was just a reply to a reply from him so I don't know what's going on. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Juggy
06-17-2011, 12:13 AM
that will suck if we cant get them anymore....would mean us guys with the older flywheel are SOL......thankfully i have a spare, wouldnt mind another tho!

tryingbe
06-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Last time I ordered I got both.

GLHNSLHT2
06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
who'd you order through and when was that?

tryingbe
06-18-2011, 12:13 PM
TU, 4-5 years ago.

Called Chris yet?

GLHNSLHT2
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
yea I sent him an email immediately when I opened the box. He's got an email out to his supplier who's got an email out to Fidanza. So either waiting to hear back from that or if I can find someone that has a 20 bolt they're not using and wants/needs an 18 bolt then I'll go that route.

glhs727
06-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure we carry both in stock. We have no trouble getting them directly from Fidanza.

Chris W
06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
A 20 hole version is shipping to GLHNSLHT2 from Fidanza tomorrow. They are all out of the 20 hole version right now but will make more should requests come in.

Thanks!

Chris-TU