PDA

View Full Version : '03 2500HD CTD HO Pulling a huge load

'88 Shelby Z
03-12-2011, 04:58 AM
I just bought three International Harvester Scout II's. I live in Georgia, the trucks are in New Mexico. I have a 38ft gooseneck. I was thinking I could just drive out to New Mexico with my '03 2500HD HO Cummins/A5 4.10 and pull all three back on my gooseneck. They each are about 4200LBS. It would be pushing the "sugguested" tow limit. Anyone think I shouldn't do it? I am not worried about the power or MPG. I have an intake and a programmer. Dyno in at 498RWHP 803FTLBS. Any sugguestions?

shackwrrr
03-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I knew a guy that I off roaded with and he had a 12 valve and pulled a gooseneck with a full sized Cherokee (4500) a full sized dodge (4500) and a tacoma (3500). Pretty close to your haul but it was only a 4 hour trip and the truck was pretty taxed. Theres no doubt that your truck could do it but you got some hills to overtake and its a long trip. the 4 hour trip was all flat.

Turbodave
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm sure the truck is capable of it, but have a few concerns.

38 ft trailer? How long is a Scout II? I'm guessing around 16ft? So how would you fit 3 trucks on there?

If you do figure out a way to Haggar them on there, then how much weight are you putting on the rear axle of the truck? Even with load range E tires you might be overloading them with that much weight on a singe wheel axle.

If your good on the above I guess the only thing to consider is the legality of it. I know when you get that heavy you'll have to hit the weigh stations, so make sure you've got the right license to be hauling that load.

Sounds like a fun road trip if you can get it all figured out!

BadAssPerformance
03-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Good things to think about Dave, I didnt come up with all those, just thought about the CDL

If you do this, we need pics! :)

'88 Shelby Z
03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I knew a guy that I off roaded with and he had a 12 valve and pulled a gooseneck with a full sized Cherokee (4500) a full sized dodge (4500) and a tacoma (3500). Pretty close to your haul but it was only a 4 hour trip and the truck was pretty taxed. Theres no doubt that your truck could do it but you got some hills to overtake and its a long trip. the 4 hour trip was all flat.

I am doing I-20. Its about as flat as you can get. Man, I would have loved to see that 12 valve truckin' down the road. Did he wheel every vehicle? Yeah the trip is long, about 1,500 miles one way driveway to driveway. I have done the trip 12 times. Just not with a load like this.

'88 Shelby Z
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure the truck is capable of it, but have a few concerns.

38 ft trailer? How long is a Scout II? I'm guessing around 16ft? So how would you fit 3 trucks on there?

If you do figure out a way to Haggar them on there, then how much weight are you putting on the rear axle of the truck? Even with load range E tires you might be overloading them with that much weight on a singe wheel axle.

If your good on the above I guess the only thing to consider is the legality of it. I know when you get that heavy you'll have to hit the weigh stations, so make sure you've got the right license to be hauling that load.

Sounds like a fun road trip if you can get it all figured out!

Dave, Thanks for the reply. Well the trailer is about 40ft with the dove tail. I actually picked up 2 Scout II's and 1 Scout 800. The Scout II's are 13ft each and the Scout 800 is 11ft but thats bumper to bumper, with them smashed together thats about 37ft. But the --- end of a scout is about three and half foot. So you think I could I just hang it off the end of the trailer? Just as long as all 12 tires are on the trailer? As goes for the axle weight, thats one thing I am worried about I have had my rear end rebuilt three times do to "whinning". So the last time I had the dealer install chromoly shafts and yukon gears. I don't know if that matters much. But the gooseneck does have a pretty long neck to help with weight dispersion. For the weigh stations you have to be 26001 LBS. I will be about 3000LBS shy of that hopefully. If it goes through I will post some pics up thats for sure. Thanks

Sgt Craig
03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I just bought three International Harvester Scout II's. I live in Georgia, the trucks are in New Mexico. I have a 38ft gooseneck. I was thinking I could just drive out to New Mexico with my '03 2500HD HO Cummins/A5 4.10 and pull all three back on my gooseneck. They each are about 4200LBS. It would be pushing the "sugguested" tow limit. Anyone think I shouldn't do it? I am not worried about the power or MPG. I have an intake and a programmer. Dyno in at 498RWHP 803FTLBS. Any sugguestions?

Yes if i can pull this beast from Chicago to NV you shouldnt have a problem.I have no where near the power you do too.Only problems I had was in a really bad cross wind in Nebraska.I think alot of that had to do with it being a tow behind instead of goose and 5th wheel.I pulled over until the storm passed.Wasnt the heaviest I towed but deffinately the longest.Had one route with a 38ft full of stairs.Trailer was 14k loaded.http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/100_0906.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/100_0907.jpg

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I would just worry about total weight and IF you get pulled over.

shackwrrr
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I am doing I-20. Its about as flat as you can get. Man, I would have loved to see that 12 valve truckin' down the road. Did he wheel every vehicle? Yeah the trip is long, about 1,500 miles one way driveway to driveway. I have done the trip 12 times. Just not with a load like this.

It was an extended cab and it was packed with all the owners. And the last truck just barely had the rear tires on and the rest hung over. The trailer he was pulling was a wedge and the toyota's tires were higher than the cab of the dodge. It was a little over 14 feet tall (a touch over whats legal).