PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Old Wiring

Polygon
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
So, the wiring in our cars is over 20 years old and as I'm getting ready to do the interior this summer I was thinking of replacing all the wiring on the inside of the car before I do it. I was thinking of just putting together something from Painless Wiring. I just worry about old wiring shorting and causing a fire at some point.

What are your thoughts on that? Am I being paranoid or do you think I should do it?

ShadowFromHell
03-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I think paranoia has set in :p. Look into what a painless kit is, and I think you will find it will not work for you. If your dead set on this, I would look at other companies before going to a painless as they are very expensive. Someday, I am going to re-wire my jeep, and when I do I am going to go with a kit from this company http://www.rebelwire.com/ MUCH cheaper, and I have never read anything other then great reviews about them.

black86glhs
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Or just do like me and make your own wiring. You don't have to use a kit.

Polygon
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I think paranoia has set in :p. Look into what a painless kit is, and I think you will find it will not work for you. If your dead set on this, I would look at other companies before going to a painless as they are very expensive. Someday, I am going to re-wire my jeep, and when I do I am going to go with a kit from this company http://www.rebelwire.com/ MUCH cheaper, and I have never read anything other then great reviews about them.

Thanks for the link!

Or just do like me and make your own wiring. You don't have to use a kit.

I'm not looking for a kit. I just picked Painless as I can get everything I need there.

black86glhs
03-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Gotcha.

Polygon
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
So what do you guys think about replacing the inside wiring? Would you bother or is it really overkill?

raccoon
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM
the most I would look into is replacing any wiring that has hinge movement like the wires going to the doors.

the wiring on the inside of the car is still close to factory new id say even after 20 years. its only the stuff exposed to heat in the engine i really worry about.

black86glhs
03-13-2011, 01:56 AM
the most I would look into is replacing any wiring that has hinge movement like the wires going to the doors.

the wiring on the inside of the car is still close to factory new id say even after 20 years. its only the stuff exposed to heat in the engine i really worry about.I agree. If it hasn't been hacked up, it should be in good shape. I'm not concerned about the interior wiring in the glhs, other than the headlight stuff.

Aries_Turbo
03-13-2011, 08:37 AM
yup interior wiring is usually mint when it check it out. its the engine bay wiring that gets destroyed.