PDA

View Full Version : Ram questions

dwh4784
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I just bought a 99 Ram half ton quad cab 4x4 with a 318 and a 5 speed, pretty much the truck I've been holding out for.

Anyways it's got a few issues and I've never worked on a truck before. First thing is that under hard cornering you can feel something shift in the front end. What should I look for here?
Second is that I had a couple friends riding in the bed and they said it sounds like the rear brakes are dragging, or something along those lines.
The last thing is that sometimes on cold starts(not really cold...it's 90* outside) it will hesitate and sputter when you go into 2nd gear for the first time. It only does this once, and only if it's sat awhile.

So any advice would be appreciated, I bought a warranty but that's a hassle unless I can't figure it out. Any good forums out there for these trucks? I looked around and didn't find anything too impressive.

mpgmike
07-06-2006, 03:26 AM
The hard cornering thing is typical on 4X4s and has to do with the live front axle.

Pull the drums and check the rear brakes. A spring may have let loose and is just rolling in the bottom of the drum.

Of course check for codes and if any, start there. If none, clean the AIS motor good with carb cleaner. Look at basic tune up parts like distributor cap and possibly worn out wires.

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com