PDA

View Full Version : Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

DC Turismo
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
With me beginning work on my CSX, I'm wondering if anyone here has had success re-titling their Whittier car as a Shelby? I figure if you take pictures of all the decals, special Whittier stickers, the rad. support tag, the dash plaque, etc. showing that Dodge is no where on the vehicle appearance wise, if this was enough to get it changed? I'd like to know, so please share!

86seeS
03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Tried it to no avail my glhs and csx both got retitled as dodges

forcedfedmopar
03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
my title says shelby

glhs0426
03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Many years ago I had an 87 CSX (4??). The title read Shelby.

I wonder if other Shelby owners have the same problem.

When the car was insured there was a much higher rate because it was a Shelby not a Dodge. When the car was totaled the adjuster tried to put a value on it of a Dodge Shadow. I told him I wanted the car replaced, produced the appraisal, and an ad for two remaining CSX's remaining in New York, things changed.

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I had trouble in Pa with trying to do that with the GLHS
No problem on the Lancer because the title already said Shelby Lancer on it

RattFink
03-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I bought my 86 Shelby Charger without a title. I went through the process of getting a title for it. When the police officer came out to inspect the car, he wrote Dodge Shelby Charger on his report. I went with that on all the paperwork I did. Title says Make: Dodge Model: Shelby Charger. Not sure if that is normal or not but I get the feeling that it's really up to whoever is working at the DMV and what they type in the computer. They just seem to follow all the paperwork they look at.

DC Turismo
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Well I have a friend at the DMV who I am going to ask, but I figured PA would give a hard time about it. When I purchased the car I physically wrote Shelby CSX on it but it came back still as a Dodge Shadow. They did that as mentioned above for cheaper insurance purposes, but I don't get why some did come as Shelby and some did not? Anyways, its a goal of mine to get it titled as a Shelby even though it is just a name on a piece of paper.

Johnny
03-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I had my "Dodge" Shadow (really a 88 CSX-T) changed to Shelby on the title.
Gave them copies of info from books, photos of the car and mfg. tags.
They sent them in, it Worked!

amoparx
03-09-2011, 01:02 AM
It all depends on the state. My GLHS #784 originally came from Nebraska. Then ended up in South Dakota. It had a Shelby Title. Then "Mark", the guy I bought it from, bought it off ebay and it came to MN. He worked the people for a few days and couldn't get them to keep it as a "Shelby" It bacame a "Dodge" A few months later, I bought the car from him and tried for a few days to get a Shelby Title. The woman that was working with me on it said Minnesota doesn't recognize "Shelby" as a car manufacture and they would have to title it as a Dodge. If one person in a state can do it, then everyone in "That" state should be able to. Not possible in MN. though.

glhs0075
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I plan to take this fight up this spring. I'll take photos, copies of literature, etc... We'll see how it goes. This is in Alberta where "registry" offices are privately owned and operated. It's currently registered as a Dodge.

DOHCRT
03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
What is needed is the MSO/MCO (Mfg Statement/Certificate of Origin), these are available from the state your car was orginally purchased in. Good luck getting one though; Texas, Washington, Oklahoma and Arizona only kept them for 10 years. Az had them available on microfiche up until about 7-8 years ago and now those are gone, or at least not readily available.

I have tried over the years to re-title numerous Shelbys, and have only been successful once and that was on a car I was able to get the MCO for. All states use the VIN for registration and insurance and as we all know our cars started life as plain old Dodges, and without a VIN change we will be stuck with this problem forever... Unless we are able to get our hands on the reported copies of the MCO's that Shelby still retains; this will not change.

Johnny
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
MSO/MCO
Had a "copy" of this for my GLHS once, filed it away. Took it out years later and the image was gone. Was an old fax copy and the paper was some sort of film paper. Image just faded away after while.

glhs0426
03-09-2011, 11:57 PM
My GLHS is in long term hibernation, but doesn't the safety label on the door post state the manufacturer as Shelby Automobiles? If it does, doesn't that settle it for legal issues. The manufacturer is Shelby and should be listed as such on the title.

DOHCRT
03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Nope the VIN is the final factor used to determine title, registration and insurance. You can replace the sticker on the door or even the door itself and no one will question it...replace the dash and the VIN # and see who knocks on your door asking about the illegal VIN change :)

DC Turismo
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah, the VIN is going to be the sticking point. Like someone said above, making copies of literature that details these cars may be helpful as well besides actual pictures of the car - noting the decals, that b-pillar sticker, etc. I'll see what I find out from my friend sometime soon I hope.

Shelby5150
03-10-2011, 03:12 AM
I brought a bunch of literature and other info including a copy of someone's registration that showed it as a shelby. Local DMV, line got big quick and i was first. Sweet talked her a little and now my 87 CSX is titled as a Shelby not dodge.:amen: I'll post up a copy asap.

DC Turismo
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks man, that'd be great. My friend said they'd think about some options and let me know in the next few days. Woo!

Badger
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM
if you have insurance through the auto club, they will do it just bring documentation that it is what you say it is.....a SHELBY. I was able to get mine changed from Dodge to Shelby without any drama

DC Turismo
03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
That's cool man... my friend has sent a message to a connection in Harrisburg and is going to let me know what the turnout is from that. I review the title history report I ran on my car from a few years ago and it was titled as a Dodge as far back as 1993 in Colorado. I was hoping that it would show up as a Shelby on one of those titles so I could simply walk in and say "Look, it was a Shelby, so it still should be." But that isn't the case. So I'll await word back from Harrisburg to see what can go on. I know it isn't really a necessity to have the car titled as a Shelby, I just think it'd be neat to have it recognized as such.

blk86trbo
03-12-2011, 03:45 AM
The DMV didn't give me a problem when I asked them to put SHELBY down as the "Make"...I couldn't get "GLHS" as the "Model" though :(

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/003.jpg

vntned
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Ive got the original owners title for my CSXT and its titled as a Shelby. However the last owner had it titled as a dodge. Im hoping I can show them the original title and switch it back to Shelby!

GLHS60
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Let us know how you make out. When I regestered my GLHS in Alberta the best I could get on my registration was Dodge Shelby GLHS and that was a struggle. I had all the Shelby documents and U.S. Shelby title but the VIN still interprets as a Dodge so Dodge had to be present.

Thanks
Randy

I plan to take this fight up this spring. I'll take photos, copies of literature, etc... We'll see how it goes. This is in Alberta where "registry" offices are privately owned and operated. It's currently registered as a Dodge.

DC Turismo
03-13-2011, 06:56 PM
In the worst case I would settle for Dodge Shelby Shadow if it really came down to it. I'd just like to have Shelby on the title somewhere.

Marcus86GLHS
03-16-2011, 04:47 AM
as far as the value of the cars made at Whittier, do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby" when selling the car to any knowledgeable buyer? i know it wouldn't make any difference to me as a buyer.

amoparx
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby"

True. I guess, unless I heard wrong, that no 60's Shelby Mustangs were ever titled as "Shelby" I don't think that hurt their values.

Johnny
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
The Shelby mustangs were titled as ford

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

At a show, was fun to say mine was a shelby theirs was a ford!!!

DC Turismo
03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
as far as the value of the cars made at Whittier, do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby" when selling the car to any knowledgeable buyer? i know it wouldn't make any difference to me as a buyer.

I don't think it would add to the worth. Like I said, in my case, I just want it done for myself, personally. The only worth I could see coming out of a car being titled as a Shelby is one that has the original MCF or some kind of factory Whittier paperwork that came with their car upon purchase.

amoparx
03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
At a show, was fun to say mine was a shelby theirs was a ford!!!

LOL. We had 3 86 GLHS's and my 87 GLHS sitting next to each other at a car show a couple years ago. A 2007 Black Shelby Mustang pulls up next to my car. I told one of the guys next to me, "Look, 5 Black Shelby's and only 4 are real" I thought that was kinda funny. Then the guy gets out of his car and it just happened to be someone in our Shelby Dodge club. I had no idea he had that car. I hope he's not on this forum.

DC Turismo
03-20-2011, 01:24 AM
So I got my answer back from Harrisburg, PA (DMV headquarters here) and they sent me an application along with a list of specific inspection garages where I would have to fill this application in order to have the title recoded as a variety of different ways, such as salvage, reconstructed, flood, specially constructed, collectible, modified, kit car, etc. They informed me through a letter that of course the VIN# shows it as a Dodge Shadow and therefore cannot change it to a Shelby. However, with the description I gave them of the car being modified at the Shelby Whittier Plant, and everything on the car saying Shelby or CSX, that I would have to take it to one of the 100+ garages throughout the state to have them inspect it and deem it as a "Specially Constructed" vehicle. I, however, would not want this, as it seems this description fits more of a Kit Car type vehicle rather than a car produced by a national car manufacturer. I feel, if anything, I would try to have it deemed as a collectible, since they request yet another letter to go along with the paperwork application/inspection report detailing why the car would be a collectible.

I spoke to my Uncle about this since he is a Used Car Dealer and he said he would probably leave it alone because he isn't a big fan of seeing any additional codes on titles. I am tending to agree with him since I'm starting to feel that it may not be worth the hassle just to have the title changed, I mean who sees it anyways right? lol... I also read in the paperwork something relating to a new state-issued VIN# being prescribed to the vehicle, where, if I read it correctly, would mean that the title coming back may not even have a VIN that matches the car then? I don't know, a bit disappointed... but I'll still ponder it anyways since my car is still in the tearing apart/prepping stage anyhow, in other words, not even close to being taken to one of these garages to be inspected. Once it's done and I can do some more research on what the difference is between the Specially Constructed and Collectible designations, I'll go from there.

GLHS121
03-20-2011, 11:21 PM
The best I could do here in Tennessee was to have it listed as make-Dodge and model-Shelby. I can deal with that.

DC Turismo
03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah that doesn't sound too bad. PA always seems to be picky about car-related business where as other states seem to be so cool about it. Ugh.

BIGBRUDDA
03-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Talked with an "insurance lawyer" once. The VIN is the sole factor in determining "MANUFACTURER". They all have an official code #. As does country of origin. "Retrofit companies",or "coachbuilders" can produce a specific "MODEL". But they don't manufacture the car from raw materials. So when it gets to court, it will be a Dodge. Regardless of what the clerk typed on the title.
Watch out for state issued VIN # as they are construed as custom built autos. Possibly not conforming to safety regulations. And consequently not very insurable, or costly to insure.

DC Turismo
03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Watch out for state issued VIN # as they are construed as custom built autos. Possibly not conforming to safety regulations. And consequently not very insurable, or costly to insure.

Which is what I was thinking... so I doubt I'll be pursuing this at all. It's a numbered car as is, that's all that matters haha...

vntned
03-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I just was told that my car would have to be inspected by a local state inspector out of the local highway patrol office and all that jazz. Screw it, I dont have time for this, Im gonna just go get the title swapped out at is and just keep the original "Shelby" title for future arguments as to wether this is a REAL Shelby or not.

johnl
03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
It seems to me that the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin should be the defining fact. MSOs are the originating document by which any car enters the state's registration system. The MSOs were issued by Shelby.

Johnny
03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
IF we had the MSO, many people dont.

DC Turismo
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, but with Shelby being with Ford now, doubt we'll ever get the MSO's if you don't have it with your car already :(
Too bad nobody knew what these things were back in the day!

johnl
03-25-2011, 09:40 PM
The dumb thing is that the MSOs were supposedly delivered to the DMV by the dealer when the car was first sold.

DC Turismo
03-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah? Well is there any possible way the state would still have such a thing on record despite now being 22 years later?

glhs0075
05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
So...
My vehicle regristration now reads:
"Manufacturer: Shelby"
"Model: Charger GLHS"
!!!!

I guess I should get my insurance papers changed now to match!

Reeves
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
So...
!!!!

Very cool! :thumb:

GLHS60
05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
GOOD STUFF!!!
I would be interested in talking with you. If you don't mind please pm me your phone # and I'll give you a call.

Thanks
Randy

So...
!!!!

Daviticus
08-28-2011, 11:57 AM
There's a lot of interesting info in this thread, and now its' got me thinking.

My Shelby Lancer (#707 5-speed cloth) is originally one of the few Thrifty Rentals - I wonder if Thrifty has paperwork stating it as a Shelby (assuming the title didn't always say Dodge) or if the California DMV has any dated records on file for it as well. As the car had been stolen sometime before 1991, I wonder if that has affected the title any.

My Utah title currently reads "DODG LES" ... Now I can understand the truncation to an extent (its being referred to as a Dodge Lancer ES), but I do know first-hand that Utah screws up titles all the time, as my 1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R is listed even on the "new" Utah title as a"MITS STA", which drives me nuts. I'm waiting until that car is back to 100% and drivable before attempting the same title re-label. If I have to register them both out-of-state initially to fix the issue then so be it, as I live in Salt Lake City, UT but work in Albuquerque, NM.

Focus turning back to the Shelby though, I do have a Shelby invoice for the replacement dash plaque, as well as company letterhead memo from Jan Burton, in addition to the SSM from Shelby for the Lancer. However all this title change goodness really is moot to me if the car was always reg'd as a Dodge - I'm more centered on keeping the paperwork as close to it leaving Shelby's hands as possible, not just what I want it to say.

Egodriver71
09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
There's a lot of interesting info in this thread, and now its' got me thinking.

My Shelby Lancer (#707 5-speed cloth) is originally one of the few Thrifty Rentals - I wonder if Thrifty has paperwork stating it as a Shelby (assuming the title didn't always say Dodge) or if the California DMV has any dated records on file for it as well. As the car had been stolen sometime before 1991, I wonder if that has affected the title any.

Focus turning back to the Shelby though, I do have a Shelby invoice for the replacement dash plaque, as well as company letterhead memo from Jan Burton, in addition to the SSM from Shelby for the Lancer. However all this title change goodness really is moot to me if the car was always reg'd as a Dodge - I'm more centered on keeping the paperwork as close to it leaving Shelby's hands as possible, not just what I want it to say.

Replacement dash plaque? How/where did you get that?

moparjon2007
10-09-2011, 08:22 PM
After reading through this page, I take it my best bet to get the insurance value changed is to start with the dmv? My insurance doesn't recognise shelby with the dodges but when I asked about the gt350 and gt500 from the 60's they said they show values for them seperate from mustangs. I will take some pictures of the door tags and send copies of all docs including the registry cert from S.A. to the WI dmv and hope for the best.

Daviticus
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Replacement dash plaque? How/where did you get that?

The previous owner purchased it directly from Shelby in October '91, I'm told its one of the last repro plaques made and sold.

As far as insurance, I'm just going to have it appraised by a couple independent companies, then look at collector insurance. This car is worth the potential headache.

I think the biggest issue with this is the fact that all the Mopar Shelbys were simply altered vehicles with an existing VIN, where the original Mustang variants were VIN'd as a Shelby, with a number issued directly from the company while being built.

At least that's my view on it, I have no idea if the info is on-point or not.

DC Turismo
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I think the biggest issue with this is the fact that all the Mopar Shelbys were simply altered vehicles with an existing VIN, where the original Mustang variants were VIN'd as a Shelby, with a number issued directly from the company while being built.

At least that's my view on it, I have no idea if the info is on-point or not.

I absolutely agree with you on this point. Had they been given special VINs where they would then have been Shelby's and not Dodges, then we could get these cars titled as such no problem. What I don't understand though is how some states do title them as Shelby's and PA does not? I know PA is stricter on things, but I had a copy of the previous title from another state in hand and that lady agreed that yes it is a Shelby but PA does not recognize the VIN as such. In this state's eyes, it's just a plain Dodge according to the VIN lol...

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

After reading through this page, I take it my best bet to get the insurance value changed is to start with the dmv? My insurance doesn't recognise shelby with the dodges but when I asked about the gt350 and gt500 from the 60's they said they show values for them seperate from mustangs. I will take some pictures of the door tags and send copies of all docs including the registry cert from S.A. to the WI dmv and hope for the best.

Gather any literature you can as well (dealer brochures, magazine articles, articles from the registry, etc.) to back up that it really is an authentic Shelby.

moparjon2007
10-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Got the registry cert from S.A. in the mail. Also have a dealer brochure, and the owners supplement. As well as the bill of sale from the dealer when the car wqs sold used a year old where they list it as Shelby CSX... Does anyone have a original window sticker that I could get a copy of? Prefer in form of .pdf if possible.

denviola
11-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Bill, I was able to get mine titled as a Shelby. I went in with pictures of the underhood plaques, the owner's manual, bill of sale and insurance card showing the insurance was for a Shelby CSX. She looked at my documentation one time after I asked to have it titled as a Shelby, and she made it happen.

Katlaw
07-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Just renewed my Registration today and my car is now a 1987 Shelby GLHS
My vehicle registration reads:
"Model: GLHS"

Thanks to GLHS0075 for the Certificate of Authenticity he got me last fall!

Law

2.216VTurbo
05-07-2014, 04:23 PM
TTT so a member here with this issue can find it:D...

minigts
05-07-2014, 04:29 PM
TTT so a member here with this issue can find it:D...

You son of a....;)

Thanks Alan, I'll see what I can get done as I read through this. :thumb:

minigts
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Ok, so I don't see anything that is the process. TN pretty much says, if it's on the title from the state where you're buying it, that's what we put on it. I could have a letter from Carroll Shelby stating it is what it is, but they need proof. Going to have a time I'm sure getting them to get the YEAR right, much less to get it titled as a Shelby. Oh well.

168glhs1986
05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I've got a clone so I don't have to worry about seeing Shelby on the title :)

2.216VTurbo
05-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Ok, so I don't see anything that is the process. TN pretty much says, if it's on the title from the state where you're buying it, that's what we put on it. I could have a letter from Carroll Shelby stating it is what it is, but they need proof. Going to have a time I'm sure getting them to get the YEAR right, much less to get it titled as a Shelby. Oh well.

Show up with literature, some Shelby Times mags and have the inspector come out to the lot, it's on the door jam sticker, the trunk, the sills, the side panels, the valve cover, the underhood plaque, the steering wheel, the dash... The list goes on and on...

bamman
05-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Just to add, the original owner of my 87 CSX got it titled in the state of Virginia as a Shelby because he had the MSO back in 1987. However now, even with the MSO, the Virginia DMV can no longer currently change the make, or model, it is now based on the VIN number and their computer system.

I have no problem with this, however, the Virginia DMV is now outing even normal cars out of their database. My beloved 1990 Dodge Omni has become a 1990 Dodge Other according to the eyes of the Virginia DMV.

GLHS0325
07-10-2014, 12:07 PM
With me beginning work on my CSX, I'm wondering if anyone here has had success re-titling their Whittier car as a Shelby? I figure if you take pictures of all the decals, special Whittier stickers, the rad. support tag, the dash plaque, etc. showing that Dodge is no where on the vehicle appearance wise, if this was enough to get it changed? I'd like to know, so please share!

i was was able to title one of two Shelbys.
1987 GLHS #325 came with a Certificate of Origin of Vehicle from Shelby Automobiles.
I had to send that along with my title to the Albany NY DMV.
They changed it to Shelby.

On the other-hand, my insurance company will only insure it by what the VIN says.
So it's insured as a Dodge.

cordes
07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
i was was able to title one of two Shelbys.
1987 GLHS #325 came with a Certificate of Origin of Vehicle from Shelby Automobiles.
I had to send that along with my title to the Albany NY DMV.
They changed it to Shelby.

On the other-hand, my insurance company will only insure it by what the VIN says.
So it's insured as a Dodge.

Pretty much the same for me. State of Illinois lists it as a Shelby, but insurance lists it as a Dodge Shelby CSX.

Chris W
07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Pretty much the same for me. State of Illinois lists it as a Shelby, but insurance lists it as a Dodge Shelby CSX.

Bring an identical second Shelby vehicle that's titled as a "Shelby" with the "Dodge" and let them compare the two. Literature also helps quite a bit.

Chris-TU

03tahoez71
10-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I just bought a 89 csx vnt with a older Florida title with 67k on it and Iowa gave me the new title saying 89 Shelby csx. But odometer on title now says exempt : (

GLHNSLHT2
10-10-2014, 08:58 PM
I have an appointment on the 30th with the Washington State Patrol to get them to sign off saying it's a Shelby then the DMV will do it. The WSP officer that called me to set up the appointment after I had left a msg had gotten on the net, done research, knew that 87's were Shelby Lancers and that in 88 and 89 there was the Dodge Lancer Shelby so my hopes are up that all will go well.

88C/S
10-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Very interesting info. Was told by the DMV that I had a choice of my SL being registered as a kit car or Dodge Lancer, because they look at who manufactured the car. My car was registered as a Shelby Lancer in Iowa, which was on the title I showed them.

GLHNSLHT2
11-24-2014, 01:44 AM
All went great! I had a ton of info on the car prepared to show it all to them. The officer came out, looked at my title where I bought the car from (NV) and then read the sticker Shelby placed inside the drivers door, made sure my current info was correct and went inside for 5-10 minutes. He didn't look at any of the info I had. He did have printouts from Wikipedia about the car though in his hand I saw. He came back out with another officer and they both looked at the back of the car, and then handed me a piece of paperwork that stated what the vin said about being a Lancer ES but then below that said to change it to Shelby Lancer. This weekend I got the new title in the mail and the Make is Shelby and model is Lancer on it so I'm stoked it's now completely official.

2.216VTurbo
11-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Nice success story!:clap: